Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about painting bathroom ceiling

• 16-02-2010 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭

The ceiling paint in my bathroom is peeling very badly. There is no extracter fan which i know is needed if i want the new paint job to last. but its not possible to install one as the bathroom has no exterior walls or windows. The area above to shower is very bad. looking at it, it looks like the original job was done badly,just one coat straight on to the plaster.

My plan is to sand the whole ceiling down removing all the paint. My question is..is there a product that will seal the ceiling before i apply the paint to make its last longer?

Any advice would be a great help. Thank you. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

Not sure what products are out there, but it would probably help to sand the ceiling before you paint it to give more of a grip to the paint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭embracingLife

There are many "bathroom paints" that can provide a barrier to water soaking into ceiling and also preventing mould building up.

One type of paint is called "Steryacrl" by McPherson paint-(not sure if I spelt it right), which is really the best for bathrooms.
    Get it from any McPherson paint shops.

Are you in Dublin,if not phone "Azko Nobel" on Long Mile Road in Dublin,parent of McPherson and main distributor in Ireland and they'll give you a list of agents in your area.

Though I suppose you could go B&Q,Woodies etc and get another type of "bathroom paint".

But,you really do need to get an extractor hose/pipe from the bathroom out to an exterior wall,as painting over will not last forever and you need to remove the condensation on a regular basis from the bathroom or eventually it will soak into plasterboard.

Btw,how old is building? New/old build, apt/house, location of bathroom, ceiling height of bathroom, distance from bathroom to exterior wall?!

Yes,I know lots of question but interesting to know what its like and then advise how to rectify it for longterm solution.

good luck

Just re reading your post and you want to know what product to seal the ceiling?

Use pva sealant-(commonly called "polybond"),diluted in water-say one tablespoon roughly poured into one pint of water or even less water and rubbed onto ceiling using paintbrush. Use rubber gloves as it sticks to hands/skin.
    You can buy this in any small hardware shop,it comes in tubs about half the size of a jam jar all the way up to a gallon bucket.

This is what you need to to do before painting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

The ceiling paint in my bathroom is peeling very badly. There is no extracter fan which i know is needed if i want the new paint job to last. but its not possible to install one as the bathroom has no exterior walls or windows. The area above to shower is very bad. looking at it, it looks like the original job was done badly,just one coat straight on to the plaster.

My plan is to sand the whole ceiling down removing all the paint. My question is..is there a product that will seal the ceiling before i apply the paint to make its last longer?

Any advice would be a great help. Thank you. :)

How does it pass building regs with no exterior ventilation?? surely it has a vent grill somewhere in the room? if it does, its relatively easy to install a small extractor fan wired to the light. Also, there is a paint specifically for kitchen and bathrooms (called "ceiling paint for kitchens and bathrooms" funnily enough which can withstand moisture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Just re reading your post and you want to know what product to seal the ceiling?

Use pva sealant-(commonly called "polybond"),diluted in water-say one tablespoon roughly poured into one pint of water or even less water and rubbed onto ceiling using paintbrush. Use rubber gloves as it sticks to hands/skin.
    You can buy this in any small hardware shop,it comes in tubs about half the size of a jam jar all the way up to a gallon bucket.

This is what you need to to do before painting.

i would not do this unless it is recommended by the paint manufacturer or the PVA manufacturer for use in very humid areas. It will seal the ceiling for sure, but it won't necessarily give a permanent key for the paint.

• Advertisement

i would not do this unless it is recommended by the paint manufacturer or the PVA manufacturer for use in very humid areas. It will seal the ceiling for sure, but it won't necessarily give a permanent key for the paint.

I've done this several times over the years in bathroom ceilings and paint went on fine.
    And no,I'm not a cowboy builder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Paint will go on fine for sure, but the issue is whether it will stay on there a year later in what sound like extremely humid conditions. Not saying it won't, but I wouldn't do it without a recommendation from the manufacturer of the paint. I think that it's not worth wasting time using expensive materials for something they're not recommended for. You are going on your experience and you feel differently about it and that's fair enough.

People seem to argue back and forth about whether PVA is a good idea as a basecoat for paint. My opinion - do it if the manufacturer says so.

Anyway, the problem (as you rightly point out) is the moisture in the air rather than the paint.

Advertisement