Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thesis Topic Dilemma

Options
  • 16-02-2010 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Ive started an environmental masters course in this January (instead of September like the rest of my class) and will have to complete my thesis during the summer having only half of the course done. My biggest problem is that as of yet I have no idea what I would like to do it on. I have been offered a thesis topic based on soils which would involve working with a research group from the college so all the work to be done would be set out for me and interviews with relevant persons arranged etc. This would ease the pressure im currently under to settle on a topic and begin preliminary research. I know that this topic will yeild good results but the topic is of no great interest to me. I would much rather undertake a project that would point me in the direction of a future career I would enjoy but having only been in the course the last 4 weeks have no real idea what this is yet. Should I do this topic that pretty much guarantees high grades and how much will potential employers be looking at what thesis a masters student did when looking to employ them? Also any suggestions on environmentally related thesis topics would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Physical or social science?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Could you provide more information on what you're doing your masters in exactly? What topics are you interested in, i.e. tell us a general area, then focus down on what you like. E.g. "I am interested in hydrology and geochemistry, and I would like to look at nitrate deposition in Turloughs". You're going to have to get into the studying now, I started my MSc last September but I'm only now trying to figure out what thesis I'd like to do. Look up potential supervisors (i.e. their staff page), look at their research interests, email them and ask them about potential thesis topics. In any case, what's the topic on soils you've been offered? It might be interesting because there's work being carried out on carbon sequestration etc... in peatlands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

gonna give you a quick answer purely based on what you have said on your original post- Take what the college is offering...time is not on your side and if, what you say is true, that all of that is lined up for you, it will help you do a dammed good thesis- unless you have the capacity to organise an alternative v. quickly, or else the option to defer for a year, then my advice is run with it...it's a trade off between interest and ease, and with time not on your side, the sheer pressure of deadlines should focus your mind on the less interesting topic........

.......only an opinion...regardless of what you do.....the VERY best of luck...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Doberman62

It is a masters in environmental resource management in UCD. It is classed as a life sciences course. I dont really have a background in environmental management and as such I only have vague ideas that I am interested in issues including climate change and emissions trading. The topic on soils that I have been offered is Nitrogen mineralisation rates in Irish forest soils. Ive set up a meeting with my lecturer for tomorrow to discuss the project in more detail and see whether or not it suits. Thanks for all your advice. Its much appreciated. Nice to get an outside opinion once in a while.

Advertisement