Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving something up for lent?

Options
  • 16-02-2010 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭

Or are you all too cool and past that stage? I gave up all sweets and chocolate last year, not for any kind of religious reasons or anything, just to see could I actually do it, and I did! Well except for that time I had a piece of chocolate at work and I forgot about the whole lent bit, and supposed to be giving it up. Oh and that other time when I was going through a bad time at school and just didn't care.

I've been considering giving up C&H for my own benefit, so I might do work for college, but I don't really care enough to even try. So I'm kinda looking for something to give up...suggestions?

When I was younger, I never ever lasted. I just found the thought of chocolate too alluring, especially since I nearly always got it for free from my Granny's bakery/shop :D

So, anybody giving up something? And will you actually last?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

I've given up all sweets, chocolate and crisps for the last 3 years!

Time to make it a fourth :cool:

You could update your blog every 3 days for lent or something. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Not religious either, but I think the whole Lent thing is a good idea really.

I'm giving up cheese, chocolate, ice-cream and crisps (cheese and crisps are going to be reeeeeeally hard). Or trying to anyway. You get paddy's day off, but that's so close to the end of Lent this year it's hardly any good :(

There was an idea in another forum for something to take up which was to smile at someone or say hello to a stranger every day, which I think is a nice idea. I'll probably end up getting bate by some skanger bitch for looking at her fella or something though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Lent, if you take the bible into account, which, if you're doing it, under the name Lent, is forty days and forty nights. If you count weekends, it's more than that........

Just sayin' s'all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

Rather than giving something up, I'm going to try to go running three times a week. Knowing my woeful willpower, it'll probably never happen, but I feel proud of myself already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Jako8 wrote: »
    I've given up all sweets, chocolate and crisps for the last 3 years!

Time to make it a fourth :cool:

You could update your blog every 3 days for lent or something. :P

I like that idea...though trying to think of material every three days will be hard...
    Fad wrote: »
    Lent, if you take the bible into account, which, if you're doing it, under the name Lent, is forty days and forty nights. If you count weekends, it's more than that........

Just sayin' s'all.

Technically Lent ends on Palm Sunday, when Jesus came back from the desert on a Donkey.

• Advertisement

Jay P wrote: »
    I like that idea...though trying to think of material every three days will be hard...

Technically Lent ends on Palm Sunday, when Jesus came back from the desert on a Donkey.

How many people know that?

Sure anyway, that week was a breeze for Jesus, I think we should have rich banquets in honour of what an easy week he had :D

How many people know that?

Sure anyway, that week was a breeze for Jesus, I think we should have rich banquets in honour of what an easy week he had :D

Well I know, and you know now too...so...not many.

Yeah sure he went mad with his friends that week. They had a massive dinner and got plastered off wine (I assume).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Yeah sure he went mad with his friends that week. They had a massive dinner and got plastered off wine (I assume).

And he hooked up with Mary Magdalene ;)

I've heard she was impregnated then and they kept the baby a secret. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Well, I don't "do" Lent, from a purely religious point of view. But I've not been training since November, and I've seriously been considering going back (although the fun's pretty much gone from it :/) starting this week. I completely forgot it was Lent though so that's purely coincidental.

I've also been talking about taking up something new for ages now so maybe this will spur me on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Chocolate, Sweets, Beer, Soft Drinks, Fast food and Crisps.

Basically if it tastes nice, it is given up for Lent.

• Advertisement

And they had that big party on the hill on Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Lent...eww. I didn't bother last year, I told myself I would do something this year but now that it starts tomorrow I don't think I'll bother. I think I'll take up something instead, like going out of my way to do at least one good deed everyday. At least that way I'll be helping someone, what good does it do to anyone for me to give up chocolate? This is a much better idea, really.

Well, this way I can eat as many Galaxy Bubbles as I want...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Not religious in the least but taking Lent as an opportunity to improve my lifestyle a bit I guess. I'm giving up cheese, chocolate and excessive internet use. I'm taking up regular jogging, I've gotten quite out of the exercise habit since Christmas :/

I've already pretty much been off the aul alcomahol since Halloween, so feck it another 40 sober days won't be hard.

Xx_emma_xX wrote: »
    Lent...eww. I didn't bother last year, I told myself I would do something this year but now that it starts tomorrow I don't think I'll bother. I think I'll take up something instead, like going out of my way to do at least one good deed everyday. At least that way I'll be helping someone, what good does it do to anyone for me to give up chocolate? This is a much better idea, really.

Well, this way I can eat as many Galaxy Bubbles as I want...

I like that idea, that it's not necessarily about giving something up, it can be about taking on something new. I'm kinda doing this, gonna go to the gym and pool more, but that was going to happen anyway because or gym/pool in college re-opened yesterday, so this week I was going to be going. I suppose it remains to be seen if I can actually follow through with my plans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

No, but only to spite those pesky catholics.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I've been considering giving up C&H for my own benefit, so I might do work for college, but I don't really care enough to even try. So I'm kinda looking for something to give up...suggestions?
    If you give up C&H, I'll do it with ya. We'll get the Poetry Man to give us a nice ole 40 day 40 night ban (if he'll oblige...). The worst that could happen would I'll either break down and cry at not being able to prattle on in The Den, or I'll find another equally or more addictive forum. I considered giving up boards but sadly the cold callous admins won't allow voluntary sitebans anymore (despite my best efforts).

Whatcha say Jay P (or anyone else interested)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

I was gonna give up coffee, not for religious reasons but just to see if I could do it. Plus, a friend* is doing the whole Lent thing, so solidarity and whatnot. Good thing I decided on giving up meat instead, cause my ma just bought a Hugh Jass jar of Kenco. It's gonna be a delicious, caffinated forty days.

*I should mention that said friend gave up Coke (-a-cola, jeez) a year or two ago, and compensated by drinking Pepsi. Girls, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

There was an idea in another forum for something to take up which was to smile at someone or say hello to a stranger every day, which I think is a nice idea. I'll probably end up getting bate by some skanger bitch for looking at her fella or something though.

When I was thirteen I got hopped on by a load of junkies 'cause I was smiling.. and apparently 'laughin' at (their) mate cause she's bleeeeeedin prego'. Ah, Tallaght.

jumpguy wrote: »
    If you give up C&H, I'll do it with ya. We'll get the Poetry Man to give us a nice ole 40 day 40 night ban (if he'll oblige...). The worst that could happen would I'll either break down and cry at not being able to prattle on in The Den, or I'll find another equally or more addictive forum. I considered giving up boards but sadly the cold callous admins won't allow voluntary sitebans anymore (despite my best efforts).

It's not giving it up if you get banned!

Again, with that whole bible craic, Jesus was tempted. So if you decide to give it up, the temptation has to be open to you. :D

*Cruelty*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

It's not giving it up if you get banned!

Again, with that whole bible craic, Jesus was tempted. So if you decide to give it up, the temptation has to be open to you. :D

*Cruelty*
    Quiet you Fad, I know it'll bring a tear to your eye to see me gone, but there's no need for this! If you want I'll give up chocolate and sweets and then there'll be temptation.
    It's giving it up if you request to be banned. Yeh, there was temptation to not request to be banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I don't think I'll be giving anything up. Future me won't put up with this shít. Which makes sense because he's such a badass.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Yeah, I always try to do something more rather than give something up. Last year I walked places where ever I could. This year though I'm going to try and go for a jog at least 3 times a week, and eat less shít, nothing specific.

I am also not the religious type.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I was talking about this early, I used to do the usual giving up sweets/crisps/chocolate etc, but now I know I wouldn't last. So I've been thinking about taking something up, not sure what though. I've always like swimming and a pool opened near me a while ago so I might try going to that a few times a week. That or bring my dog for a walk every day, he normally only get brough out a few times a week. I'd say it'll be something along the trying to get fit lines.

Although I'm very tired now, so might start trying to be in bed and asleep every night I have college by 11pm. Actually that's not a bad idea, I think it would be more likely to happen anyway. Normal sleeping pattern, with a bit of exercise thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

jumpguy wrote: »

Thanks but no thanks. I wouldn't actually be able to last without even seeing what's here. I'll leave it as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    I wonder how many times I've said that before. At least 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

myself and willpower aren't exactly on friendly terms at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

I half-heartedly decided to start going to more lectures. I'd probably be more disappointed in myself by now if it wasn't so half-hearted. :P

Davidius wrote: »
    I wonder how many times I've said that before. At least 15.

I say it on a daily basis. My general attitude is taken from How I Met Your Mother:
    I'll let future me deal with it, that guy's a sucker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Had completely forgotten about lent until my mother "reminded me" today...never observe it personally

Advertisement