Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving something up for lent?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Monzo wrote: »
    I half-heartedly decided to start going to more lectures. I'd probably be more disappointed in myself by now if it wasn't so half-hearted. :P
    There was me thinking you are supposed to go to all your lectures :rolleyes:

But seriously, people like you are taking up places in our colleges that more deserving people should be in. This is half the problem with free third level education. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Teutorix wrote: »
    There was me thinking you are supposed to go to all your lectures :rolleyes:

But seriously, people like you are taking up places in our colleges that more deserving people should be in. This is half the problem with free third level education. :mad:

I got 80 points more than I needed for the course that I'm doing. Most people I know doing the same course seemed to only scrape in.

edit: and since when did attending lectures become the basis in which your performance in college is judged?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

This year I've decided to try give up swearing.:eek:
    (well actually when I started reading this thread:P)

It's gonna be super hard, I generally tend to curse like a sailor and don't even realise I'm even doing it!!!

I'm thinking about doing a swear box type thing, where say I have to put in 50c every time I break it. Might be a good way to start saving aswel, something else I really need to do if I ever wanna get that car lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Monzo wrote: »
    I got 80 points more than I needed for the course that I'm doing. Most people I know doing the same course seemed to only scrape in.

edit: and since when did attending lectures become the basis in which your performance in college is judged?
    so what you got 80 points more, the leaving cert is a joke really it gets easier every year. Also I am saying that if you had to pay for your college place you wouldnt be so quick to go around skipping lectures here and there where there are people who actually want to learn and not just scrape through because they are intelligent enough to pass a course without much effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

You sir have never been to university. You really dont know what it's like, while lecture attendance is sorta intended, there is a huge focus on independent learning, and if you have a shíte lecturer, he/she is only going to hinder your understanding of a subject.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

so what you got 80 points more, the leaving cert is a joke really it gets easier every year. Also I am saying that if you had to pay for your college place you wouldnt be so quick to go around skipping lectures here and there where there are people who actually want to learn and not just scrape through because they are intelligent enough to pass a course without much effort.

Eh I have to pay enough for my place in college (books, accommodation, food and travel expenses add up you know).

So, by failing to attend lectures I don't want to learn anything? There is such a thing as blackboard (internet facility where you can access notes from the lectures), and as Fad mentioned learning independently (be it via the net, books, etc.) does more for you than any lecture will.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I had beef burritos for dinner today. And I offered Minstrels to 3 of my friends who'd just given up chocolate. I think I fail at Lent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I had beef burritos for dinner today. And I offered Minstrels to 3 of my friends who'd just given up chocolate. I think I fail at Lent.
    I suppose you could make a game of it. For ever person you manage to trip up you are given one 'guilt-free' oppurtunity. However if somebody makes you break your commitment, you fail.

A game where you get to exploit people's weaknesses and ruin Lent on them for your own short term gain. What could be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

I skipped a good proportion of my lectures last semester, and ended up with a better GPA than two of my closest friends, who studied continuously for the whole semester and attended everything.

Just because I know that going to some of my lectures will be completely pointless because I'll just sleep through them (mostly, as Fad said, down to bad lecturers), and because I know that I learn only by cramming like a madwoman, as opposed to learning constantly, doesn't mean I don't deserve my place. I got the points I needed in the Leaving Cert, and equally had to put work in then (albeit, again, in intense cramming form...). If you're worried about someone taking 'your' place, work harder now and make sure you get the points you need.

Picking and choosing which lectures I go to isn't a case of not being arsed to learn (most of the time... Sometimes I am just lazy, but so are most people at one time or another...), sometimes there are just better ways to learn. Even if it wasn't free, the chances I would change the way I go about college are slim. At the end of the day, performing well in exams is what will get you your degree. Whether or not you attend lectures is up to you, and being there for every single one, will not guarantee you doing well, as proved by the fact that I did better than my friends, despite being a waster all semester. (That said, going to lectures works for some people... it's kinda a matter of figuring out some kinda balance that works for you....)

As for lent, MEH. Too lazy. Have no will power. Don't care enough to summon will power. Ah well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

In the past i have given up a)fizzy drinks b)chocolate c) all sweets, crisps, chocolate and fizzy drinks and have been successful every time.
    this year i'm going to take up a fitness regime and get fully fit. Also i'm going to stop buying stuff in our overpriced school shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

No. I'm atheist.

I did, however, take it upon myself to walk around Whelans/The Village/general Wexford Street area and 'anoint' everyone I found with face-painted crosses for Ash Wednesday on Tuesday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I'm giving up fizzy drinks as usual and then i'm going to try and eat healthier but don't know if that will happen or not, doing ok so far though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I'm rather surprised at the amount of my friends and classmates who got ashes and are doing the Lent thing. I'd have thought none of the satanic heathen teenagers these days were bothered with that kind of thing. Food for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

I gave up meat last Lent, it's the second best decision I ever made (after doing Transition Year!). My friend had tried to do it the previous year, and failed miserably, so I decided to show how easy it'd be. It wasn't! But once I got over the hump, I never felt better, more energetic, alert and all around better. I found it hard to eat meat again after that. I've been eating meat now and again, but I've decided to do it again this Lent, and I imagine I'll come out the other side a full-fledged vegetarian! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

No. I'm atheist.

I did, however, take it upon myself to walk around Whelans/The Village/general Wexford Street area and 'anoint' everyone I found with face-painted crosses for Ash Wednesday on Tuesday night.

I don't actually know anybody who's doing it for religious reasons. Like I said, I only did it last year to prove that I could do it.

Advertisement