Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Future proofing comms

• 16-02-2010 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

What would be the best setup regarding future proofing my house in terms of TV\Internet\Wireless\etc..

• I would plan to have a TV point in everyroom...but coax point isn't going to be much good when I go HD...how would I get around this?
    • Also, an ethernet connection in each room also (CAT5). However I've heard that CAT6 is the way to go as that will be the standard as data speeds increase and we start using the sharing of digital media more and more.
    • A central comms room where all connections in the house come together...maybe have some central PC managing all digital content (movies\music\radio)
    • Wireless speakers throughout the house using either a media hub in the kitchen\livingroom or streaming directly from the comms room.
    What does this sound like to you? Possible\expensive\far-fected?

All comments welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

If its a new build then put in some form of ducting and rope, I`ve heard of people stuffing in dozens of cat6 cables into each room to try and future proof it, but its just pointless, we could be using fibre optic stuff in 10 years time. Put in some Cat5/6 for the minute (from what I have heard the benefit of 6 is pretty minimal).

Advertisement