Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do i set up my surrond sound?

• 16-02-2010 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭

I just bough a surrond sound system with amplifer and subwoofer.
    i have it connected through my PS3, i have the HD cable going from TV to Amp and from Amp to PS3 and all 5 speakers connected plus subwoofer.
    i cant seem to get sound , is there another cable needed from tv to amp?
    any ideas?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

any ideas?

yes. plenty, but first, tell us what the make and model of the system is.

things to check are probably in the manual such as, is it plugged in, is the setup done correctly all the connected devices, are the formats supported by the device....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

No new cables needed. you need to go into the PS3 sound menu and tell it to output sound over HDMI. If that doesn't work then it may turn out that your amp supports video over HDMI but not audio over HDMI. In that case you'll need a Toslink optical cable from the PS3 to your amp. What is the brand and model number of your amp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

Cheers for reply.. the amp is a yamaha rx-v365. I was in the sound menu on the ps3, there is quite a few outputs to choose from..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Cheers for reply.. the amp is a yamaha rx-v365. I was in the sound menu on the ps3, there is quite a few outputs to choose from..

Okay, your amp will not decode Audio over HDMI - it will only pass it through. This means that you need to run an optical cable from the ps3.

Not 100% sure if that link will work - it is just the product specifications on the yamaha site. It asks for a username/password to download the manual, but I'm pretty sure that there is a section in that about HDMI and what the device can and can't do.

On the PS3: under the sound options enable optical Audio Bitstreaming and disable HDMI audio - I think this happens once you enable bitstreaming and optical but not sure. Your amp will decode at whatever bitrate is being sent from the source disc.

HD audio tracks on BR discs will be downsampled to the highest bitrate DTS (circa 1.5Mbps) which is as good as you are going to get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

il have to get optical cable. thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement