Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghost picture taken at Gwrych Castle

Options
  • 16-02-2010 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭

Two news sites reporting the same story.
    Original news links at end of post:

Gwrych Castle, Abergele, North Wales.
    gwrych_castle.jpg

c7da4b072c.jpg
    Ghost-in-british-buiding-Gwrych-Castle.jpg

Bit of a cheesy video by ParanormalPrincessTV but it gives a bit more info:

"The figure of a ghostly girl appeared in pictures taken by a Lancashire businessman at the Gwrych Castle in Wales. In the picture, a faint image of a woman is seen peeping out of a window of the dilapidated castle and it has been successful in generating widespread interest.

Kevin Horkin had been inspecting the castle in Abergele, North Wales with the aim of purchasing it. Pictures of the ruined building were also taken, although nothing paranormal was witnessed then. However, when the digital photos were downloaded, Kevin Horkin was surprised to see the spooky image of the girl looking out of the first floor window of the castle. Moreover, the image is gaining huge attention as supposedly the particular floor of the building collapsed years ago and as a result there is actually no platform to stand on the first floor.

Since the spooky pictures have come to light, speculations have been ripe to comprehend the identity of the ‘ghost’ featured in the photos. Researchers who have examined the pictures, have revealed that the image that was spotted in the castle might be that of Winifred, Countess of Dundonald, who inherited that castle in 1894. However, former photographer Harry Moffitt has stated that the spirit might be that of a young servant girl who suffered an untimely death in the estate after falling off from a horse. The Gwrych Castle was built way back in 1819 and has been abandoned since 1985. However, the building is known for its paranormal activities and is counted among Britain’s most haunted sites.
    "

What do you think guys?

Original news links:
    http://bit.ly/9Qzqfc
    http://bit.ly/chles6

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Looks just like a girl standing at the window.

Freaky;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I guess its one of those things where if you were there you would believe it, if you were not it was not.

I wasnt so Im going to say a marginally attractive girl standing in a window.

It was also in the Sun and the Star.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,646 ✭✭✭Milly33

Tis a pondering one..That was the thing with it wasnt it that there are no floors left in that room so it would have been impossible for someone to be standing there, so unless it was a doctored photo I think i would keep an open mind...

It is a shame that yet again another fantastic castle is left to turn to ruins, I hope someone buys the place soon and restores it

Milly33 wrote: »
    It is a shame that yet again another fantastic castle is left to turn to ruins, I hope someone buys the place soon and restores it

Clayton Hotels bought the castle in June 2006 for £850,000 after it failed to reach its £1.5m reserve price at the 2 June auction. On 30 April 2007 Clayton Hotels announced a 3 year project, costing £6,000,000, to renovate the castle and convert it into a 90 bedroom, 5 Star hotel, creating 100 jobs. The project is subject to planning permission, but has the approval of the Trust

I have to say I prefer it as a ruin than a hotel and thats from an archaeology point of view rather than a paranormal. Knocking the place into a five star resort hotel dosnt seem like a way to treat a place but its only about 200 years old, it was just built to look old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

It looks like a strange one. Without meaning to sound overly sceptical, I feel the image of the girl is almost too high in quality, leading me to believe it may be doctored.

Saying that, if is isnt doctored, and as the previous poster said, there isn't floor space to stand inside, it is certainly one of the most compelling pieces of evidence.

• Advertisement

There isnt enough information available to make a call they need more pictures of the area and the window from a distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

The idea that the quailty of an image makes it less/more likely that its paranormal is almost laughable.

The fact is in this shot it could easily be a regular woman. No reason to even look at in more detail based on the little info available. Now had she been halfway through the wall or something which might at least indicate a photographic anomoly then there would be reason to look and something to look at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

The alleged ghost reminds me of Keira Knightley,of whom I like being reminded of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

....is that Hermione?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭crushproof

I rest my case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Grimes wrote: »
    I guess its one of those things where if you were there you would believe it, if you were not it was not.

I wasnt so Im going to say a marginally attractive girl standing in a window.

She looks a bit too "modern" for someone of that era. Could be a reflection of someone standing nearby?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭Steve X2

OK, all of us into/onto a plane/boat/large inflated tyre, It’s investigation time in north Wales.
    I want to see if they have floors in that room or not.

Also, bit more info:

Local history claims that the first castle at Gwrych was built by the Normans in the 12th century. It was seized by the Welsh prince Rhys ap Gruffydd (the Lord Rhys) of Deheubarth in about 1170 who then rebuilt the timber castle in stone. This castle was later destroyed by Cromwell's army following the English Civil War of the mid-17th century.
    The later castle at Gwrych was begun in 1819. The castle is a Grade 1 listed building set in a wooded hillside over looking the Irish Sea. It was the first Gothic folly to be built in Europe by a wealthy industrialist Lloyd Hesketh. Bamford Hesketh, his son, inherited the title of Gwrych in his early 20s and used his vast fortune to build the 4,000-acre Gwrych Castle Estate.

So the area and castle has a history going back a good bit more than 200 years if local history is to be believed.

Mystery solved I think!

Kevin Horkin who took the picture runs a psychic business and is buying the castle to open a Psychic School of Excellence ........ so I think this is just a stunt to get some attention.

smcgarr wrote: »

So the area and castle has a history going back a good bit more than 200 years if local history is to be believed.

Well im sure the area has been there since the dawn of time as for the castle being older than 200 years, its not but yeah probably but the current structure may have been built on the grounds of something else. I try not to do local legend. And as 6th has pointed out the picture is most likely a fake anyway.

It does look haunted though and its only 200 years old. Must be built on an indian burial ground

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

abelard wrote: »
    ....is that Hermione?

I was thinking the exact same thing (well, Emma Watson). Jesus, I think that is her behind that window. :pac:

emma-watson-1.jpg

I try not to do local legend.
    I said local history Grimes and not local legend. It's important to hear what locals have to say on an area and any local history they might know about. It's not always true of course but we must gather all evidence, rock solid and otherwise and weigh up what might be valid and what is utter rubbish. No point in saying “I try not to do local legend” on this forum as we all deal with these things as this is a paranormal forum and that entails a whole lot of legend and hearsay and even more so if you are an investigator.

I said local history Grimes and not local legend. It's important to hear what locals have to say on an area and any local history they might know about. It's not always true of course but we must gather all evidence, rock solid and otherwise and weigh up what might be valid and what is utter rubbish. No point in saying “I try not to do local legend” on this forum as we all deal with these things as this is a paranormal forum and that entails a whole lot of legend and hearsay and even more so if you are an investigator.

lol ok

lol ok
    Lol indeed ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭cable842

that picture looks big time fake

Lol indeed ;)

Thanks for the advice! Wish they had thought me that in university!! :p

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice! Wish they had thought me that in university!! :p
    Well Grimes we are all lacking in some way with regards to education so don't feel so bad.

Anyway back to what this post is all about. Has anyone actually been to this castle? Is it in a bad state of repair and can anyone confirm that the floors have fallen away on the upper levels.

cable842 wrote: »
    that picture looks big time fake

in what way? Could you specifically point out how it looks fake as opposed to the possibility of it being a real person standing at the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Ruth KPS

In my opinion, it's not paranormal, possibly someone standing at the window...

Also. Can I just state, How much does she look like Christina Ricci from Casper??? lol

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Got you there Grimes, since when do you not do local legend anyway?

It's a good pic, I'd be very happy if it took it, I guess it comes down to it being real, fake, staged, is there a floor etc.

It would be a bumber to head over there and find out there was an accessable floor leading to the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I was thinking the exact same thing (well, Emma Watson). Jesus, I think that is her behind that window. :pac:

AHA, we found Hogwarts!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭mandandpeter

....is that Hermione?

Lol thought the same here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Irish W

....is that Hermione?

That's exactly what I was thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ghost Girl

Trashbat wrote: »
    It looks like a strange one. Without meaning to sound overly sceptical, I feel the image of the girl is almost too high in quality, leading me to believe it may be doctored.

Saying that, if is isnt doctored, and as the previous poster said, there isn't floor space to stand inside, it is certainly one of the most compelling pieces of evidence.

Do you expect a ghost not to be clear?? because they can be as clear as day, at times you may not even realised you've seen one, until in a situation like this picture, where its not possible for some one to be standing there

(if this isn't a doctored pic then its great, but i think 6th may be onto some there, when he says the new owner wants to open a psychic school, perfect way to get publicity!)

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭irishjig69b

fake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lisatiffany

I'd like to think its real but as a few people have stated she does look rather modern to be an apparition of that era. also that window looks too big and she looks copied and pasted into it. it's hard to know really but something about the scale of the window and size of her body and bone structure especially in the face makes me seriously wonder about it being genuine. :)

Advertisement