Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to bring to USA when permenantly moving there

Options
  • 16-02-2010 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi,

I was just wondering is there a list of stuff I should definately bring to America with me? Things such as medical history, school info, qualifications etc. Stuff like that or a comprehensive list as Ive never ever moved country and if I leave something behind I cant go back for it.

Thanks for all your replies,
    Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I'd check to see if your medical records would be available to a US doctor, I bet they would be, so you may not need to carry them with you. Are you healthy? DO you have any conditions? If notI wouldnt worry.

Not sure about educational certificates etc. It would help, it depends on what kind of job you're after. In 20 years of listing qualifications on my resume I've never had anyone ask for proof.

Best of luck with the move. Where are you moving to?

(And you know you can always go back for stuff you've forgotten!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Stella777

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I'd check to see if your medical records would be available to a US doctor, I bet they would be, so you may not need to carry them with you. QUOTE]
    My doctor in NJ can't even see my records from my old doctor in Maryland, nor my old doctor 40 minutes away in Manhattan unless I bring them myself, so I doubt they can view records from a foreign country!

In particular make sure you have records showing immunizations if you intend to go back to school here.

If it were me I'd bring as many documents as I could carry: diplomas, letters of recomendation, contact info for anyone you might use a reference etc. Depending on what sort of work you're looking for you might also bring proof of a clean driving record, though I don't know if an employer here would accept that from abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭oxegen85

I'd check to see if your medical records would be available to a US doctor, I bet they would be, so you may not need to carry them with you. Are you healthy? DO you have any conditions? If notI wouldnt worry.

Not sure about educational certificates etc. It would help, it depends on what kind of job you're after. In 20 years of listing qualifications on my resume I've never had anyone ask for proof.

Best of luck with the move. Where are you moving to?

(And you know you can always go back for stuff you've forgotten!)

Am moving to maryland. Dont have any big health issue but I do have asthma so I will need to be able to get inhalers. Do you need to get these on prescription like in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 cailineile13

Several usa plug adapters would be my first reccomendation-especially if you're a girl & you want to use your favourite straightners/curlers at the same time :)
    -Make several photocopies of all your documents, ie passport/drivers license/bank or credit card statements/proof of your old address.
    -Check out what you need to do to open a new bank account over there, or when applying for a social security number.
    -If you're bringing a laptop, leave a hard copy (external hard drive maybe?)
    of all the files you want to keep, just incase anything goes wrong with it over there!

I know the health insurance situation there is a bit manic, so check out whether you'd be covered by travel insurance for the first few weeks/months
    If you have family/friends over there already, ask them is there anything they can think of. Those are the first things that spring to my mind after moving between countries..

Best of luck with it either way!xx

oxegen85 wrote: »
    Am moving to maryland. Dont have any big health issue but I do have asthma so I will need to be able to get inhalers. Do you need to get these on prescription like in Ireland?
    Absolutely bring enough inhalers to last you some time. They are prescription only. Also, I highly doubt a pharmacy here would accept a prescription from a foreign doctor.

If you are a female and on birth control, keep that in mind.

You might also consider bringing a supply of OTC meds if you use any regularly. The brands and formulations are different and it would give you time to get used to what the stores sell over here.

• Advertisement

hi stella,

you said you lived in maryland? Any specific things I should know about in your experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

I had to get my university transcripts recently (I'm applying for a PhD so it may not be relevent to you). NUIG took 1 week and charged €4, but UCD took nearly a month and charged €29. If you think you might need them it's worth getting them and bringing them over with you.

Yea I have my college transcripts got already before they started charging for them thank god. You never know I might do more further education over there in years to come

hi stella,

you said you lived in maryland? Any specific things I should know about in your experience?
    I went to university in Baltimore, and worked in Maryland for a few years after that. I can't think of anything Maryland specific, except prepare yourself for the hot, humid summers. Try to get to the beach then if you can. Don't forget to try some crab cakes!

Also, service in Maryland in places such as stores is the worst I've experienced anywhere. Don't take it personally.

service? you mean the way people talk to you or the service you get as a customer? how did you find working there? positives/negatives?? was it like in the public?

much appreciated

• Advertisement

Have you been to the US before? What are you going to be doing?

I've never been to maryland but i've been to DC, and the summers are Humid. Washington is an interesting place as well.

I have been there twice already.. im engaged to an american and we are moving there to settle.. have to choose somewhere.. working in a food place for a whie until I get a specialized job

service? you mean the way people talk to you or the service you get as a customer? how did you find working there? positives/negatives?? was it like in the public?

much appreciated
    When I say service, I mean the people who work as cashiers or those sort of jobs. The service is slooooooooow like molasses. In many ways Maryland has a Southern feel. They are generally not rude, just not in a hurry and lethargic.

Baltimore natives are likely to call you "Hun" and it doesn't mean anything rude. It's just what they do.

The people I went to school with and worked with were from all over the US, so it wasn't a particularly Maryland experience, but if you have to deal with a place like the Department of Motor Vehicles, or any kind of local bureaucracy, then it becomes slow again, REAL slow.

I have been there twice already.. im engaged to an american and we are moving there to settle.. have to choose somewhere.. working in a food place for a whie until I get a specialized job

Same as me but 20 years difference and we moved to california.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

I believe a bible and a gun are useful everyday items in the US of A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mindydawne

As far as inhalers, I remember there is one sold in the US over the counter, brand name Primatene Mist, I think. But, you will probably need to visit a doctor over there and get a prescription for one. You don't need to take your whole medical record - just a letter from your doctor listing any medical issues. The GPs there will have you fill a sheet out with your medical history on your first visit. Then they can write you a new one.

I'm from the States and moved over here. Any type of documentation you have... certs, transcripts... I'd def take. It's much easier to have them there just in case then realize you need them later!

Caoimhín wrote: »

LOL

Also cheap and freely available so you can get them when you arrive!

Caoimhín wrote: »

haha... sure all I have to do is join some banks then :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mindydawne

LOL

Also cheap and freely available so you can get them when you arrive!

We hand them out when you've passed through customs, you can't miss the kiosk. It has a cardboard cutout of Jesus holding an American Flag. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Before you leave, try get an official letter from your insurance company regarding your insurance history (if its worth getting) so that when you move over and start driving you don't need to start all over again with no driving experience (in the insurance company's eyes!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

May I suggest a few years supply of Barry's Gold Blend Teabags? :D

and of course, the proper usa adaptors for electronics!

You'll need a drivers licence as well, as foreign ones are only good for 6(?) months.

Almost as easy to get as a gun though, a short multiple choice followed by a spin around the block and if you dont crash you get a licence.

They'd probably give you one if you did crash actually...

KatCookie wrote: »
    May I suggest a few years supply of Barry's Gold Blend Teabags? :D

and of course, the proper usa adaptors for electronics!

and some proper kerry gold butter

and some proper kerry gold butter

Believe it or not our local shop has Kerrygold.

In Seattle.

Phenomonally expensive though.

Bring bacon with you. And sausages. Eggs too if you have the room. Americans have a whole different interpretation of Breakfast, its similar but different...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Bring bacon with you. And sausages. Eggs too if you have the room. ..

Customs might have something to say about having half a pig in your luggage.

ill have to get used to the american breakfast sometime as I wont be able to bring pig loads with me. :) Im just gonna keep the maple syrup well away from my meat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

There's kerrygold everywhere, kerrygold butter and cheese and garlic butter and salt free butter, its expensive but its good. I buy mine at ralphs. I've turned all my American friends into kerrygold lovers, just for the Irish economy of course ;)

lil_lisa wrote: »
    There's kerrygold everywhere, kerrygold butter and cheese and garlic butter and salt free butter, its expensive but its good. I buy mine at ralphs. I've turned all my American friends into kerrygold lovers, just for the Irish economy of course ;)

You can get big blocks of Dubliner and Kerrygold Reserve cheddar in Costco for about $10.

OP it might be a good idea to bring a teapot. I haven't seen one for sale around my area.

You can get big blocks of Dubliner and Kerrygold Reserve cheddar in Costco for about $10.

OP it might be a good idea to bring a teapot. I haven't seen one for sale around my area.

+1 on the teapot. Kettles that plug in are unobtainable too, americans dont drink much tea so they get by with heating water on the stove.

• Advertisement

+1 on the teapot. Kettles that plug in are unobtainable too, americans dont drink much tea so they get by with heating water on the stove.

I got a plug in kettle in Bed, Bath & Beyond. It did cost me $80 though!

Advertisement