Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to bring to USA when permenantly moving there

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

+1 on the rashers and sausages, bring some for me too :D Nothin cures a hangover like a good auld fry! I'm alright for Kerrygold though, I have a block in the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

The only thing with bringing a kettle over (and a hair straightener or anything that needs a lot of power for its purpose) you will require a power converter. I'm not talking about a socket adapter but a device to convert the power so you can use your electronic fully and get the maximum power out of it. Otherwise your kettle won't boil fully and you'll be left with lukewarm water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Stella777

There's no reason to take up space in your luggage with an electric kettle. Any store that sells kitchen stuff (Macy's, Target etc) will have them. I've even seen them in drugstores like CVS, Rite-Aid for around $25.

Many people call them hot pots, though.

http://www.target.com/Electric-Kettles-Kitchen/b?ie=UTF8&node=13385431

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Stella777 wrote: »
    There's no reason to take up space in your luggage with an electric kettle. Any store that sells kitchen stuff (Macy's, Target etc) will have them. I've even seen them in drugstores like CVS, Rite-Aid for around $25.

Many people call them hot pots, though.

http://www.target.com/Electric-Kettles-Kitchen/b?ie=UTF8&node=13385431

Wow. I never knew. Looks like you leave the kettle behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭oxegen85

im also looking into health insurance. Does anyone have experience on yoour first year in the States? Did ye get insurance or just chance it? Whats the options?

• Advertisement

oxegen85 wrote: »
    im also looking into health insurance. Does anyone have experience on yoour first year in the States? Did ye get insurance or just chance it? Whats the options?

I went the first five years without any insurance.

Its a risk though. The costs are so high in the US that one incident like a broken bone without insurance can put you in serious debt.

This is one of the main suppliers, it can vary from state to state though:

http://www.bcbs.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭deisedude

Bring Jaffa Cakes, everything else is trivial and unnecessary

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yea I have my college transcripts got already before they started charging for them thank god. You never know I might do more further education over there in years to come

Man I hope you won the lotto!!

deisedude wrote: »
    Bring Jaffa Cakes, everything else is trivial and unnecessary

LOL! There's a german(!) brand some delis carry:

http://www.lubiscuitsna.com/sweet-biscuits.html

They have a jaffa cake clone that really is pretty good.

Malteasers are important. They can be used as currency amongst your fellow expats.

Ask your fellow waiters and waitresses what insurance plan they're on, that way it will be equally affordable and your covered!

• Advertisement

InTheTrees wrote: »
    LOL! There's a german(!) brand some delis carry, i forget the name.

Malteasers are important. They can be used as currency amongst your fellow expats.

o god I forgot about malteasers.. ill have to take a trip to a cash n carry haha

o god I forgot about malteasers.. ill have to take a trip to a cash n carry haha

Yup, buy in bulk! The sweets are all messed up. A marathon is a snickers and a mars bar is a marathon and and... who knows why...

You can get dairy milk all over the place now which is good. I cant stand hersheys.

ok so on the food front lets make a list

so far:
    sausages
    rashers
    pudding
    tea bags (i know its not food)
    malteasers
    dime bars (dont think they have these.. the gf ever had them till she was in ireland)
    brennans bread :)
    jaffa cakes
    any REAL chocolate really

anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭deisedude

Club lemon and Cidona to wash all that food down:D

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭chillin_penguin

As much tayto as u can

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭colin29

dime bars

You should be able to find these ata a local Ikea store, called Daim bars.

colin29 wrote: »
    You should be able to find these ata a local Ikea store, called Daim bars.

Ah you have malteasers up there in vancouver dont you? Every time we go we bring back armfulls to the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

I got insurance after the first month I got here. I would have got it earlier but there were some hassle with my inter company transfer. You really should get insurance especially if wherever you are going has a law like they do in Massachusetts where unless you are covered for most of the year you get a rather nasty deduction when you go to file your taxes

ok so on the food front lets make a list

so far:
    sausages
    rashers
    pudding
    tea bags (i know its not food)
    malteasers
    dime bars (dont think they have these.. the gf ever had them till she was in ireland)
    brennans bread :)
    jaffa cakes
    any REAL chocolate really

anything else?

Well you've got the "healthy" food covered.

Next you'll be needing a gym...

:)

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Well you've got the "healthy" food covered.

Next you'll be needing a gym...

:)

gym?? im going to America :D

• Advertisement

gym?? im going to America :D

True. Surgery does the job much faster...

;)

I was reading yesterday about men having calf implants to make their legs look more athletic...

Ha ha, sure it is the sexiest part of a man's body :P

There's a store here in San Diego that sells all these things, its called the Irish Import store (how original!), it is a bit more expensive than home but I have the reassurance of it! Although once you get into the habit of eating American food, especially since it can be so cheap, you might forget about the Irish food.

Oh, when I flew over last year I brought two bottles of Mickey Finns, they love it here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

I'd advise insurance and get dental too for the extra $10 or whatever. I hadn't been to a dentist in years and I had to go over here, it was over a $1000 for a few fillings, I had to shell out. If it had gone much longer it would have been a root canal and that'd be double the cost!! Although that said I'm sure dentists at home are probably just as expensive.

spideog7 wrote: »
    I'd advise insurance and get dental too for the extra $10 or whatever. I hadn't been to a dentist in years and I had to go over here, it was over a $1000 for a few fillings, I had to shell out. If it had gone much longer it would have been a root canal and that'd be double the cost!! Although that said I'm sure dentists at home are probably just as expensive.

yea its expensive here too. Had to get a few fillings done meself here and it cost nearly €500 :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Tanora, you need Tanora.

Advertisement