Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TTC & Hyperthyroidism

Options
  • 16-02-2010 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

Going anon for this...although I suspect close friends will work it out, and that's OK....just don't necessarily want casual acquaintances to know *all* my business.

This might get a bit long, so apologies in advance.

I'm currently 36 yrs old, diagnosed with hyperthyroidsim/Graves disease and high blood pressure.

For the hyperthyroidism/Graves I currently take Carbimazole....and as such, due to known serious birth defects from using this drug, we have had to promise my GP and Endocrinologist that we are going above and beyond the call of duty with regards to practising safe sex and using all the precautions possible to guard against conception.

For the HBP I currently take Omesar Plus, and that is doing its job very well.

I am also due to have a total thyroidectomy, once a few other factors come into alignment...eg lose weight, euthroid thyroid function.

However, after an appointment today with my Endo I spoke candidly to him about wanting to start a family, about being 36 and hearing that ticking clock louder and louder each day...and feeling like I am in limbo with regards to my thyroid, scheduled surgery etc.
    And he said to me that he would take me off carbimazole, and put me on to Propylthyouracil if that is what I really wanted. Propylthyouracil being a much safer drug to use for hyperthyroidism, with regards to prgnancy and breatfeeding etc...but slightly less effective with regards to controlling of the thyroid.
    However, he said he'd prefer me to be euthroid (*normal* thyroid levels) before he changed me, as its taken so long to get anywhere near being under control with carbimazole. We're getting there slowly, and I optimistically hope to be euthroid within the next 3-4 months...

I then asked him if being pregnant would affect my chances of having the total thyroidectomy, and he stated that the only time I wouldn't be allowed to have the operation would be in the final trimester of a pregnancy, and that up until that point the operation would still be given the go-ahead...and that if the timings were wrong, then all that would mean is delaying the op until I'd given birth, and maintained or returned to a euthroid state.

So...sorry for all that....its possible that hubby and I could possibly in a position to get rid of all the contraceptives in as little as 3-4 months...which I must say has made me very happy.

So, has anyone on here any experience in trying to conceive/being pregnant with a thyroid disorder.
    Also with high blood pressure...I'm assuming that is easier to control during pregnancy as neither the endo or my gp has expressed any concerns about that aspect of my health when I've talked about my wish to start a family in the near future?

Oh, and also being 36...and prepaing to try for your first child. What additional risks are there with regards to starting a family at age 36/37?

Is it a possibility, could I actually have a safe pregnancy, or am I setting myself up for a disaster....and instead I should just try to come to terms with the fact that its not worth the health risk?

I'm kind of excited, but also very scared....I've been very ill these last few years, and know only too well the havoc an out-of-control thyroid can wreak...perhaps trying for a baby is a stupid idea and an unnecessary risk to take?

Assuming all is rosy...and I'm given the all-clear with regards to ttc within the next few months....is there anything I should be doing now with regards to preparing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I had graves as a child and went underactive after treatment, it has been monitored for years...am 31 weeks pregnant and will be 36 (i hope) when our son is born.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Keea

Hi there,
    I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, age 30, in August 2006. My husband and I were ttc at that time. I just went to the doctor one day, said I was feeling so tired that I was finding it hard to get out of bed. Got bloods done and I was told I had hyperthyroidism. Hadn't a clue what it meant, still feel I haven't got to grips with what it means. I was put on 20mg of Neomercazole (which is the product name for Carbimazole) and was referred to an Endocrinologist. I wasn't told to stop ttc (or told anything about it Neomercazole causing birth defects) so about 5 weeks later, I found out I was pregnant and was thrilled. Went back to doc and was put on lower dose of Neomercazole (10mg I think). Got an appointment to see the Endocrinologist in Oct 2006. He recommended that I stay on low dose of Neomercazole for half of pregnancy and come off it half way through. I went from 10mg to 5mg and he took me off it at about 6 months pregnant but more or less straight away all symptoms came back and I had to go back on 5mg for the remainder of pregnancy right through to delivery and afterwards. I had my first beautiful daughter in June 2007. In the few days after delivery I felt awful, all the symptoms of hyperthyroidism reappeared, got bloods done and my neomercazole was increased to 20mg again. Few weeks later, went to see endocrinologist. In July 2007, I was put on what he called a 'block and replace' programme for 16 months so had to take neomercazole and elthroxin. Asked him about TTC during this time. He said it was ok and if I became pregnant we would control it again by coming off elthroxin and lowering dose of neomercazole and that is what happened. I got pregnant again around June 2008. I went to see him and I was put on 5mg neomercazole but this time stayed on it throughout pregnancy without trying to come off it. My second beautiful daughter was born March 3rd last year. Currently I am on a 'block and replace' programme again where I am taking neomercazole and elthroxin. Seemingly if you do this for about 16 months your thyroid may be ok after it but with me, he doesnt think this will be the case, neither do I. I have been told I need to think of long term options because I cannot stay on neomercazole long term. The options are surgery to remove part of the thyroid or radioactive iodine which I'm told involves having to be away from children for 2 weeks, which I would find very difficult. I would love to know more about either of these options but find it so hard to get information. Doctor and Endo say its my decision but how do you make a decision if you dont know a whole lot about it? Anyhow, hope things go ok for you. I just wanted to share my story. Sorry its so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 SuzanneTak

Hi all, im new here and yesterday after a long investigation as to why i was constantly itching, lost 3 stone and always shaking i was told i have hyperthyroidism, then the realisation hit me, my DH and i have been TTC for the last 2 1/2 yrs and nothing, i was told that hyperthyroidism can cause infertility???? i have an appt next month in the rotunda as i cant conceive but will the doctor still prescribe me clomid or will i have to wait again?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

unreg74 wrote: »

Assuming all is rosy...and I'm given the all-clear with regards to ttc within the next few months....is there anything I should be doing now with regards to preparing?

Start improving your lifestyle any way you can. Eat well and start taking gentle exercise. Pregnancy is very hard on the body even in healthy women so the more prepared you are physically the better!

Also start taking a pregnancy/pre-conception multivitamin. Pregnacare is suitable throughout ttc, pregnancy and breastfeeding, although a bit expensive. There are cheaper alternatives which are just as good. I think I took a sanatogen one. If you decide not to take a multivitamin, definately start taking folic acid. This is very important! I started drinking super milk too as it is enriched with folic acid. Every little helps!

I had a very straightforward pregnancy thank god, but I can't imagine that theres anything I wouldn't suffer to have my little girl. :)

I hope everything works out for you and good luck ttc!

Advertisement