Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self build cost 2010 ??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭morning delight

tails_naf wrote: »
    It's direct labour - I make out I'm saving at least 50k-60k vs going with a contractor (based on the best quotes I got from contractors). direct labour is not that bad - but requires a lot of research and shopping around. Had to increase the minutes on my mobile due to all the calls I was making!
    House is not finished, but bar any disasters I'd say I'll come in under the 85/sq ft mark when all is done and dusted. I'll post when I'm actually finished and moved in, for comparison.
    Hi tails
    Good to get an idea of the saving from direct labour, particularly at the moment. Around €15-20 per sq ft by the looks of it. By the sounds of it you haven't found it too much of an ordeal either.
    How long is your build taking? Much longer than if you'd gone with a contractor?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭lilylarkin

Many thanks sinnerboy. those links are great.

I spoke to a builder in Cork today who is currently building a 2400 sq ft dormer bungalow and he is doing it for €176k including fitout, ie kitchens, sanitary ware, tiling etc. Very competitive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 RiccoLaw

any body in the west recomend any builders to get some quotes from for 2800sq ft eco home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

lilylarkin wrote: »
    Many thanks sinnerboy. those links are great.

I spoke to a builder in Cork today who is currently building a 2400 sq ft dormer bungalow and he is doing it for €176k including fitout, ie kitchens, sanitary ware, tiling etc. Very competitive!

That's easy to do. Just expect red deal doors, skirting and architrave. The cheapest cash and carry kitchen going, the bare minimum insulation, cheap roof tiles/slates, cheap floor coverings and the cheapest of the cheap sanitary ware. There'll be no hollow core either. 10 years time the owners will be ripping the cheap bits out.

My personal motto is to do things right and I'll only have to do them once.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Very true reilig. Like i mentioned before the cost is all down to personal taste!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

Spending Diary for self builder who didn't lift a hand building a house direct labour. Paid delivery man charges and direct labour for everything. Job finished mid 2009. A lot of time was spent pricing and driving down the cost of materials. No HRV, high eff oil boiler, 300 ltr pressurised cylinder, 2008 spec insulation.

2,000 sq ft two storey square design, good quality windows, internal joinery, sanitary ware + detached garage
    another 20,000 spent on fit out

Total is 148,590

INTERECT COSTS
    Planning Planning €1,200.00
    Map Shop Maps €75.00
    Marking out site Marking out site €75.00
    ESB Connection Fee €1,343.00
    Commencement Notice Commencement of works €30.00
    Valuation of House Valuation of House €130.00
    House Insurance House Insurance €296.00
    Council Fees Planning €2,902.45
    Fees for mortgage and land solicitor €1,705.00

SUPERSTRUCTURE COSTS
    Mesh Foundations €751.11
    Marking out site Marking out site €400.00
    Labour Labour €40.00
    Materials 20 bags of cement, 5 litres of plastiser €119.00
    Diesel for minidigger Minidiger €20.00
    Materials 5 Bags cement and Sump €39.66
    Materials Blocks for footings €1,300.00
    Labour Bring up floor and set up and pour etc. €400.00
    labour Insulation + Pour Floor €116.00
    Insulation, Radon etc. Materials €925.41
    21m3 of concrete Materials €1,781.37
    1 x load of sand Materials €346.66
    2 x load of block Materials €1,102.68
    2 x 30 tonne stone + 1 x 25 Materials €681.11
    Concrete Materials €1,657.09
    1 x load of block Materials €551.34

SITE DEVELOPMENT COSTS
    3 x load of stone Materials €708.95
    1 x load of screening Materials €189.55
    labour Well €1,800.00

SUPERSTRUCTURE COSTS

Plasticser Materials €19.00
    materials Lintels, flue liner, L Blocks €700.00
    materials 2 no. Flue Gathering €30.00
    140m2 of wall insulation, 40 bags cement and DPC €1,221.04
    labour Blocks to Joist level €2,600.00
    materials Timber for floor €1,100.00
    materials Joist Hangers €40.00
    materials Hammer, Plywood €30.00
    Cement Materials €15.00
    labour labour €40.00
    Gravel, Cement Steel (Arch) Materials €72.00
    Insulation, Cement Materials €299.00
    labour Timber for 1st floor Floor €300.00
    Insulation Materials €86.00
    DPC Materials €16.00
    Waterproofer Materials €18.00
    Blocks labour €3,500.00
    Steel Beam €120.00
    Delivery of Cills €50.00
    Teleporter €40.00
    Teleporter €40.00
    Steel for roof €145.00
    7 Cement €33.00
    8 Cement €33.00
    10 Cement & Waterprofer €53.00
    3 Tonne Sand €40.00
    Teleporter €40.00
    Box 3" Nails €20.00
    Waterproofer €10.00
    5 Cement, 2 lengths 4x2 €50.00
    Teleporter €100.00
    Blocks labour €1,100.00
    8 lengths PVC Angle Beading €42.00
    Sand €30.00
    Roof labour €5,000.00
    Scaff, floor, plywood, studs labour €700.00
    Timber for studs €80.00
    Floor labour €40.00
    Blocks etc €2,700.00
    Beam upstairs €135.00
    10 Cement & Waterprofer €63.50
    Express Nails €20.00
    Door liners,windows Br. €150.00
    Window Boards €90.00
    Roof (Balance) labour €1,500.00
    Electrical €2,000.00
    Lintels €363.00
    Sand €459.00
    Lintels, angle blocks €342.70
    Screws, Insulation for pipes €42.00
    Wall Ins. For S.R €217.00
    Screws for slabbing €28.00
    Sanitary ware,Plywood & Slabs Etc. €6,900.00
    Fixing of Stud etc. labour €200.00
    slabbing labour €1,200.00
    Windows €6,100.00
    Timber and General €70.00
    Slabs Sunroom labour €250.00
    Cement, skin, bonding €160.00
    Plastering labour €5,000.00
    Stairs deposit €500.00
    Concrete, Block Sunroom €1,500.00
    Fit W. Boards labour €100.00
    W.Board €20.00
    Plastering €6,000.00
    Dig garage,ESB labour €200.00
    Roof Sunroom labour €2,000.00
    Mixer hire €480.00
    Tiles €275.00
    Trims, cement etc. €250.00
    Tiler €900.00
    Plastering €4,000.00
    Electrical €2,000.00
    Facia/ Soffit €1,800.00
    Shower doors x 2 €620.00
    Tiler €350.00
    Tiler €300.00
    Cement/ Lats €35.00
    Grout €60.00
    Ground Works €4,000.00
    Cement €20.00
    Pea Gravel/Filling €644.00
    Concrete for Garage €317.80

OTHER PAYMENTS
    Electrical €700.00
    Plumbing €6,000.00
    Insulation €2,510.00
    Stairs €5,300.00
    Doors, skirting etc. €3,000.00
    Kitchen €11,000.00
    Stoves €2,000.00
    Glass Blocks etc. €650.00
    Fence on site €1,650.00
    Fence along Road €350.00
    Front door €1,700.00
    Alarm €830.00

Brilliant post there David!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Mixupat

This might not be the right place for this question..

On a self build is there any guidance percentage wise how much of your budget you could typically have spent on a "Builders Finish" Vs how much to finish the house after the builders have finished.

For example: To Builders Finish - 70%
    To complete house for moving in - 30%.

I know this is not always the same but is there an overall guidance for budgeting ahead..just a guide?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭newhouse

reilig wrote: »
    I considered all other makes and got quotes ranging from 11000 euro to 17000 euro. My atmos was bought from a Northern Irish supplier <snip> the buffer tank, pumps and fittings came from poland <snip> and I had it fully installed by my own plumber. The total was just under 6000 euro.

I have a reasonable supply of timber on the land, but I also intend to buy some timber in the coming years. I would never consider a pellet boiler. I know a few people with them. One person has never had their boiler work properly since day 1. All others have had problems at one time or another with poor pellet quality or pellets getting damp - all of which caused clogging in the auger. I know nobody with a pellet boiler who has had no problems with it. I recon a load of timber from coillte would last me 3 years. I have a chainsaw, log splitter and saw horse. I can buy a load for 1000 euro delivered. So under 300 euro per year would keep my house heated.

Burning wood is a lifestyle too, one that I'm starting to get used to. I'm doing my little bit for the environment too. Its a nice gadget to show friends too when they call around to the new house. :):)

am seriously considering a wood burning boiler,I have a plentyfull suppily of timber as i own 18 acers of forest, could you give detials about the your daily/weekly routine as reguards filling+cleaning and preparing the timber for it, are you a slave to it, both myself and my wife work fulltime and have two kids, am i mad to be considering it?:confused:

Reading mixupats post again I notice that his windows were 6k. We had to fight to get ours to 25k. I assume mixupats windows are not Danish import AluTimber. This is one good example of how house costs vary due personal taste preference.
    In relation to the other query I think 30% for finishing off a house is a good place to start in setting out a budget. Again, you can do it cheap or you can spend a 100k!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

I would agree 70/30 is reasonable . It could be 50/50 if you really go for it on finishes and fittings

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭morning delight

davidoco wrote: »
    Spending Diary for self builder who didn't lift a hand building a house direct labour. Paid delivery man charges and direct labour for everything. Job finished mid 2009. A lot of time was spent pricing and driving down the cost of materials. No HRV, high eff oil boiler, 300 ltr pressurised cylinder, 2008 spec insulation.

2,000 sq ft two storey square design, good quality windows, internal joinery, sanitary ware + detached garage
    another 20,000 spent on fit out

Total is 148,590

Great detail there david.
    Looking at the list there is over 100 items costed so it just gives an idea of the effort involved in going direct labour!
    Great to have such a detailed breakdown to give something to compare against. Well done on building for ~€75 per sq ft!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 elleod

tails_naf wrote: »
    It's direct labour - I make out I'm saving at least 50k-60k vs going with a contractor (based on the best quotes I got from contractors). direct labour is not that bad - but requires a lot of research and shopping around. Had to increase the minutes on my mobile due to all the calls I was making!
    House is not finished, but bar any disasters I'd say I'll come in under the 85/sq ft mark when all is done and dusted. I'll post when I'm actually finished and moved in, for comparison.
    Hi Tails Naf,

I am planning to build in the limerck/Tipp area and would also be greatful of any references you may have. I'd also be very interested in your actual costs. Do you have a spreadsheet or something of costs that you could share?

Thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

just saw this thread from a google search that popped up for some reason. have just finished a self build on a 2 storey house, fully furnished and finished out, underfloor heating both floors (precast first floor), HRV system, air tight, geothermal heat source, and its pretty well finished off. Windows are only uPVC alright so not expensive. Overall cost tho was €81/ft2. I had a project manager around when I couldnt be there, and all other fees are included in that too. blockies, plasters, chippys etc all paid by cash. in Wexford too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Mossie27

bruschi wrote: »
    just saw this thread from a google search that popped up for some reason. have just finished a self build on a 2 storey house, fully furnished and finished out, underfloor heating both floors (precast first floor), HRV system, air tight, geothermal heat source, and its pretty well finished off. Windows are only uPVC alright so not expensive. Overall cost tho was €81/ft2. I had a project manager around when I couldnt be there, and all other fees are included in that too. blockies, plasters, chippys etc all paid by cash. in Wexford too.

Sweet........

• Registered Users Posts: 46,128 ✭✭✭✭muffler

A good price indeed.

It is indeed bruschi. Fair play!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Yes they are. You'd be suprised how much money you have to spend that doesn't relate to actual building costs.

like VAT :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Lightning McQue

Bruschi

Could you pm details of hrv, airtight, geo-thermal underfloor heating plumbing electrical contractors used

Thanks

Lightning

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭badgerhowlin

Same here too Bruschi. Im in wexford. Just our side of Enniscorthy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

PM sent there lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭badgerhowlin

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Bandit2010

Hi

I am looking to build a 3000 sq ft house in loughrea, looking at direct labour

Underfloor heating, hollowcore flooring, block build, 1.5 storeys

Any help with cost approx

Thanx

again just work on the magic 100e per sq ft figure. you are still very short on detail. what source for heating? the ufh itself is actually the cheapest part of most modern heating systems. it's the pump that will costs (and drilling to if you go vertical ground source). pvc/timber/aluclad with double/triple glazed. these two costs alone made up 20% of our building cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

just got a quote for a 2800 sq foot 1 1/2 storey house.
    price was £109k plus £13k for garage.
    price includes site clearence, housebuilt, paths around house and garage and all material including oak finish.concrete floors upstairs, triple insulation. septic tank and driveway loose stoned
    not included are windows, kitchen, bathroom suites, fireplace, 2nd fix electrical,and stone or stonework which will cost an additional £9k supplied and fitted
    hope this helps

price includes site clearence, housebuilt, paths around house and garage and all material including oak finish.concrete floors upstairs, triple insulation. septic tank and driveway loose stoned
    not included are windows, kitchen, bathroom suites, fireplace, 2nd fix electrical,and stone or stonework which will cost an additional £9k supplied and fitted
    hope this helps

is that UK pounds?

septic tank? dont many authorities now require sewage treatment plants as part of permission

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    is that UK pounds?

septic tank? dont many authorities now require sewage treatment plants as part of permission

yes price in pounds
    septic tank might be ok will be tested this week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 epicace

Hi, Building a one off house in Cork and looking to go to tender in the coming days. Would appreciate a p.m. for suggestions on builders that we should be including in the tender.
    Currently getting indications of anything from €70 to €130 (based on a house of 2,700 sq. Ft. that’s a difference of €160,000 ish) for a contractor to complete, however finding it very difficult to determine the variance in quality of finish and materials used and how dramatically this effects the final figure.
    It seems like a bit of comparing apples with oranges? Would be very interested to know if anyone has come up with a list or method of identifying the major components of a house build whose choice of quality and finish have the greatest impact on the final price.
    I’m not talking about choice of finishes, such as floor coverings, tiles, bathrooms suites etc. as I understand these choices can dramatically affect the final price and are very much personal preference but fundamental elements such as stairs, heating systems, insulation, windows and doors etc.

epicace wrote: »
    Hi, Building a one off house in Cork and looking to go to tender in the coming days. Would appreciate a p.m. for suggestions on builders that we should be including in the tender.
    Currently getting indications of anything from €70 to €130 (based on a house of 2,700 sq. Ft. that’s a difference of €160,000 ish) for a contractor to complete, however finding it very difficult to determine the variance in quality of finish and materials used and how dramatically this effects the final figure.
    It seems like a bit of comparing apples with oranges? Would be very interested to know if anyone has come up with a list or method of identifying the major components of a house build whose choice of quality and finish have the greatest impact on the final price.
    I’m not talking about choice of finishes, such as floor coverings, tiles, bathrooms suites etc. as I understand these choices can dramatically affect the final price and are very much personal preference but fundamental elements such as stairs, heating systems, insulation, windows and doors etc.

You could ask to see past homes that were build by these builders and talk to the people who live there and if they are happy with the work

thats what i did when choosing between builders to complete the house

if anything went wrong you be quick to hear about it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

hope this helps

hi king,

thats some price , can i ask are they south armagh / dundalk based.......be interested to know how you get on if you go with them, looking to build same early next year !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement