Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self build cost 2010 ??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 langtok

Going to build an extention the DIY way hope to save a fortune around €50per square foot fully finished.
    reilig wrote: »
    My self build which is 2000 square ft cost roughly €100 per square foot fully finished. This also includes a 500 sq ft garage and a 500m stone finished roadway ( costing almost €20k).

The house is well finished with solid oak kitchen, granite worktops, Porcelain tiles in kitchen, front hall and all bathrooms, solid oak in living room and all upstairs finished with solid ash. Stairs is solid oak, all doors and skirting are oak and 3 out of the 4 bedrooms are fully furnished with oak furniture. Bathrooms are finished with a Jacuzzi bath in one and a Steam Shower Cabin in the other.

Its fully painted inside.

Log Gasifying Boiler for heating backed up by a Stanley Solid Fuel Range in Kitchen and Stove in Sitting Room.

Price includes ESB, Engineer, Council and Solicitor Fees.

No Landscaping done yet. Its in the 10 year plan.

The house is completely furnished apart from 1 bedroom. There were unbelievavle price reductions over the last 12 months and cash is still king for a lot of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 flanh

Hi Guys

I am new to BOARDS.IE ,

I hope you may be able to help me

I have recently received outline planning permission for my site based in west Clare

I have been advised that its approx 55/60 euro per square foot to get a builders finish , so based on that I am looking at building an 1800 SF House ( Cost would be approx 108,000 euro)

does anyone know if 55/60 sf IS correct ?

also what would be approx cost to finish inside the house

Thanks
    FrankH

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭lilylarkin

Frank, 55/60 seems quite low, even for builders finish. It is probably exclusive of VAT and possibly based on the direct labour route? Fitout will cost you approx 20 - 35 euro/sq ft. €185k is more likely to be your end figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 curlysues89

hi guys,
    I was wondering has anyone any ideas for costs in donegal??Letterkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 46,128 ✭✭✭✭muffler

hi guys,
    I was wondering has anyone any ideas for costs in donegal??Letterkenny
    For a builder's finish you'd be looking at around €70 - €80 per sq. foot. Shopping around will get you a wide variety of prices but look at houses the contractor has built in the past and talk to the people who live there and see if they can recommend him.

There are a couple of contractors that I can recommend and if you need any details just PM me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 corkcounty

Hi all

I am in the process of planning to build a timber framed house. We have some quotes for different jobs and im confused, We were given a price for external render for €95 per sq meter. My house is 1300sq fr / 120 sq meters? to get a price do i multilpy 120x95? €11,400.00?

Also does anyone know how much it costs to law foundations?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,128 ✭✭✭✭muffler

corkcounty wrote: »
    Hi all

I am in the process of planning to build a timber framed house. We have some quotes for different jobs and im confused, We were given a price for external render for €95 per sq meter. My house is 1300sq fr / 120 sq meters? to get a price do i multilpy 120x95? €11,400.00?

You would need to multiply the length of the external walls by the height to get the area and then deduct the area of the windows and doors.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Hi all

as muffler says, it should be the area of the walls, not the floor area. as an aside, what kind of render are you getting? Standard scratch coat and skim that is generally used would only be about €22/m2, a self coloured render (monocouche etc) would be €27-35 and insulated board and skim system would be €90-105. If it the last one, price sounds ok, but just when you said external render for €95 sounded awful high.

Foundations you should get in for about €15-20/m3 of concrete including putting in some mesh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

bruschi wrote: »
    Foundations you should get in for about €15-20/m3 of concrete including putting in some mesh.

Not sure about that one - 25n concrete as about €67/m3 on its own (maybe 60 for cash) A393 mesh borders on €70 a sheet then there's the digging and pouring.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hi

as we near the end of our build i can categorically state that the cost of €150 per sq ft to acheive tiled/painted finished house with kitchen fitted is bang on the button. this would include all professional fees, council charges, esb charges, geothermal heathing with underfloor heating, top quality windows, air tightness membrane, soild wood kitchen - fairly high spec.

that is going the fixed price contractor route.

Hi,

I'm in the processing of pulling a list of building professionals together for building a house in Shankill.

It looks like I'm going the direct labour route because its working out too expensive using a building contractor.

Would you be able to send me the contact details of the guys you used and would recommend? Its a big house and a very good job for someone out there.

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭rayjdav

I have just completed a 120sqm timber frame extension together with a 90sqm TOTAL renovation of existing house.

Renovation:
    Remove existing floor and relay, with 75mm Xtratherm insulation
    Dryline all walls with 100mm inc. insulated Xtratherm plasterboard.
    Replace all existing roofs and ceilings.
    Gut all electrics and plumbing
    Remove all exst windows and form new opes with new windows throughout:
    Break open walls for new opes and block up as required.
    All new external drainage, FS and SW.
    Timberframe extension:
    5500+ Tegral slates and assoc items for all roofs:
    A LOT OF LEAD (loads of valleys :-( )
    All 1st/2nd fixes:
    Fit out (Had a lot of stuff from before, furniture etc.)
    Total new kitchen fit out: (Boss said nothing less than new L )
    All above left ready to move in.
    Above list includes for all the necessary items that you take for granted. Doors/sanitary/flooring/tiling/kitchen (big) etc… Also all required for drives/paths around house.

Considering I am an Arch Tech, with LOADS of time on my hands, unfortunately, I did most of the non trade works, so cut out labour except when 2nd pair of hands needed. Also called in favours and pay back for all the cheap permissions I was granted over the years.

Shame left on the doorstep a long time ago J

Best 3 bits of advice I could give are:
    1: Haggle
    2: Haggle
    3: You guessed it, Haggle

It all came in c.€55-60/sqft. No professional fees but includes council taxes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

bdoo wrote: »
    Not sure about that one - 25n concrete as about €67/m3 on its own (maybe 60 for cash) A393 mesh borders on €70 a sheet then there's the digging and pouring.

labour costs only I was quoting. maybe I misunderstood the poster but they were only asking I thought how much it would be to lay fdns, as in literally how much they would pay someone to lay foundations. to dig, place and get materials is obviously a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tracey112

Hi all,

We are hoping to build double extension to the side and sunroom to the rear consiting of two bedrooms extended kitchen and bathroom.

Internally one wall been put back up, rewire, plumbing, solar panals, doors, skirting, frames, plastering, ceilings replaced, front door, 4 windows 2 set french doors, bathroom suites for shower room downstairs, en-suite and main bathroom, tiles for bathrooms floors and walls,tiles kitchen walls and floors, wooden floors for 6 rooms, carpets in one room and stairs and landing, tiles in sunroom.

Just fairly basic fittings it is really the space thats is really needed here.

If anyone has any ideas on the rough costs i would really be greatful for
    some input.

Were in dublin, was thinking of going the self build route but it looks a
    bit scary i would love for a contractor to come in and sort it all :)

I think it would prob add on about 1000sq foot.

Thanks
    Tracey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 pocuana

bruschi wrote: »
    just saw this thread from a google search that popped up for some reason. have just finished a self build on a 2 storey house, fully furnished and finished out, underfloor heating both floors (precast first floor), HRV system, air tight, geothermal heat source, and its pretty well finished off. Windows are only uPVC alright so not expensive. Overall cost tho was €81/ft2. I had a project manager around when I couldnt be there, and all other fees are included in that too. blockies, plasters, chippys etc all paid by cash. in Wexford too.
    Hi there,
    Any chance of getting more details from you in regards to this build. Am looking to build in Enniscorthy area. Would love HRV details, builders, plasterers chippies etc details if possible.

Thanks,
    P

• Registered Users Posts: 8 new boy

epicace wrote: »
    Hi, Building a one off house in Cork and looking to go to tender in the coming days. Would appreciate a p.m. for suggestions on builders that we should be including in the tender.
    Currently getting indications of anything from €70 to €130 (based on a house of 2,700 sq. Ft. that’s a difference of €160,000 ish) for a contractor to complete, however finding it very difficult to determine the variance in quality of finish and materials used and how dramatically this effects the final figure.
    It seems like a bit of comparing apples with oranges? Would be very interested to know if anyone has come up with a list or method of identifying the major components of a house build whose choice of quality and finish have the greatest impact on the final price.
    I’m not talking about choice of finishes, such as floor coverings, tiles, bathrooms suites etc. as I understand these choices can dramatically affect the final price and are very much personal preference but fundamental elements such as stairs, heating systems, insulation, windows and doors etc.
    Hi..going thru the same dilemma in cork..did u have any joy in getting info re builders... could u PM me who you hav put to tender to.. will PM u who we hav tried too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 siobhmarie

Hi Bruschi,

Can you send me the PM

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

flanh wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I am new to BOARDS.IE ,

I hope you may be able to help me

I have recently received outline planning permission for my site based in west Clare

I have been advised that its approx 55/60 euro per square foot to get a builders finish , so based on that I am looking at building an 1800 SF House ( Cost would be approx 108,000 euro)

does anyone know if 55/60 sf IS correct ?

also what would be approx cost to finish inside the house

Thanks
    FrankH
    I know of two houses built in the Kinvara area, and I'm afraid 55/60 didn't cover it. Builder's finish coming in around 85/sq ft (this includes interior finishes, to a certain level, btw, just to avoid confusion)
    Hi all

€73 per sq m is the rate here int he West for a contractor for that, and it is possible to get one for a less if you use and imported system with a foreign cert.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Does anyone else apart from mr_edge_to_you have prices they paid for building in Meath - complete price with VAT included and all associated fees/cost. I'm hoping to build a fairly standard 3 bedroom bungalow 1100-1300 sqft approx for €130,000-€140,000 max - all in, i.e. the house finished (well at least the living areas and 1 bedroom) sewage system, and council, solicitor, architect fees - all extra fees included. Going on mr_edge_to_you's costs at €150 per sqft - this doesn't look like it would be likely??!! Although its seems that was high enough spec - I'll be going for finishes that I can afford with maybe just solar panels as extra if finances allow. If anyone else has experience with prices around the Meath area - I will probably have to go the contractors route as I know nothing about building and so I probably wouldn't be able to manage a self-build unfortunately!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 corkcounty

Hi i am clueless to all this building stuff, we are in the process of putting in for planning permission and i am going thru costs and prices for building, i am building a 1300 sq ft bungalow, does anyone know how much will cost to wire and plumb it? i have 2 baths and standard plugs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

i am building a 1300 sq ft bungalow,

see other posts where price per square ft is quoted. That price per sq ft covers standard wiring and plumbing.
    does anyone know how much will cost to wire ............standard plugs etc
    A standard plug to BS 1363 (13 amp plug) costs about a euro. It's the sockets that the electrician will be fitting for you, a standard 3 bed semi wired up fully (with only one cooker and one electric shower) will come in between 3,000 and 4,500 euro.
    does anyone know how much will cost to .......... plumb it? i have 2 baths

2 baths would be unusual and you may have to add a bit there but you will now get quotes of between 5,000 and 6,500 for plumbing a 3 bed with oil fired heating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 MULBERRY TREE

lilylarkin wrote: »
    Many thanks sinnerboy. those links are great.

I spoke to a builder in Cork today who is currently building a 2400 sq ft dormer bungalow and he is doing it for €176k including fitout, ie kitchens, sanitary ware, tiling etc. Very competitive!
    Hi Lillylarkin,I am fedup looking for a contractor to give me a decent quote to build a house.I know that there are builders out the who just want the work but where are they?I think you may have found one, is there any way you can send me his contact details
    Regards Mulberry tree

• Registered Users Posts: 8 new boy

lilylarkin wrote: »
    Many thanks sinnerboy. those links are great.

I spoke to a builder in Cork today who is currently building a 2400 sq ft dormer bungalow and he is doing it for €176k including fitout, ie kitchens, sanitary ware, tiling etc. Very competitive!

Hi.. sorry for late tag on this thread.... just getting prices for a build in cork... any chance you could PM builder in cork that u mentioned?
    Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teacher30

Hi i am clueless to all this building stuff, we are in the process of putting in for planning permission and i am going thru costs and prices for building, i am building a 1300 sq ft bungalow, does anyone know how much will cost to wire and plumb it? i have 2 baths and standard plugs etc

Hey
    I'm the same as you - starting out and absolutely terrified! 30 yrs old and single. I find the builders to be arrogant sods and really patronising (the ones i've met so far anyway!) so i didn't stick around to get a quote from any of them. Anyway a fresh start on Thursday when i meet a more decent guy we know and who has been recommended.
    So much for the recession and lads crying out for work!

Best of luck - james

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

The best way of finding out how much your house will cost to build is to get as many quotes as possible. Simple as.... You can build a house as cheap as you want or you can spend hundreds of thousands.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

... and ensure they are all quoting for the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 confused....

Hi Guys

We too are building in Cork County and am very stressed out by it all, People tell me our house should be able to be brought to builders finish for 150k but our potential project manager fell around the place laughing at that figure... We are looking at direct labour as its all we can afford, ( House is 3200 SQ FT) Got the impression from the project manager that he would be giving a lot of work to his trusted subbies and now i'm worried that he may be giving his friends the work as opposed to the best value and while i do know that the cheapest is not always the best, we are so tight on budget i really do need to get value where i can... What do ye guys think.
    If any one has any recommendations re contractors etc, please pass them on All help much appreciated.
    Might end up doing a lot of the pricing around myself..

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭clint_eastman

Hi Guys

We too are building in Cork County and am very stressed out by it all, People tell me our house should be able to be brought to builders finish for 150k but our potential project manager fell around the place laughing at that figure... We are looking at direct labour as its all we can afford, ( House is 3200 SQ FT) Got the impression from the project manager that he would be giving a lot of work to his trusted subbies and now i'm worried that he may be giving his friends the work as opposed to the best value and while i do know that the cheapest is not always the best, we are so tight on budget i really do need to get value where i can... What do ye guys think.
    If any one has any recommendations re contractors etc, please pass them on All help much appreciated.
    Might end up doing a lot of the pricing around myself..

I'm building direct labour and managing the build myself, I should get a builders finish for 3000sqft in under €200k, this includes 0.8 u value windows, stairs, OFCH, solar and high spec electrics. I've insulated to a very high level. It all depends on your specs in terms of how much it is going to cost, you need to get advice from the relevant professionals, eng, arch, ber, qs to ensure the spec fulfils regs and also your own requirements. I think I could have got quite close to €150k for a builders finish if the specs were reduced. Bear in mind your project manager will need to be paid whereas I've spent a lot of my own time doing that job. Add in the finishes/furniture/kitchen I expect to (have to!) come in around the €320k

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

All in I should be builders finish for 230K on a 3000sq ft 2 story house including 20k legal fees. Direct labour and alot of thought and money spent into the building fabric of timberframe,airtightness and renewables. Get a QS for your build and then decide if direct labour is possible. Also get to know your engineer well and what he is signing off. I am still surprised at what is being signed off regardless of the building regs of 2008.

For what it is worth i know of one person who has contact in the trade and is builders finish for 140K for his 3000 sq ft bungalow. That is ignoring current building regs.
    So is less than 50euro a sq ft possible. Maybe if you have alot of spare time and alot of contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

i'm sorry but the notion of building a 3200sq ft house for €150k is a bit mad. 3200 sq ft is a very big house in fairness. if you were doing a large part of the work yourself such as block laying, carpentry you might achieve a price of 48e per sq ft via direct labour.

if you can do it you're some man!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭mendel

I would be surprised if it could be done for that. Can't compare directly with what we are doing but costs mount up very quickly. Materials are expensive even if labour has reduced.

I would comment though that it is my experience that our project manager does tend to try and push us towards his prefered subbies as more easy options of working with people he knows and trusts ........ but not the cheapest. You do have to price around.

To cut costs I am effectively managing our build with limited input from our pm/engineer. I do the donkey work and he answers the technical questions. I would reckon it is saving a lot.

Good luck with your build.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement