Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self build cost 2010 ??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Start here

• Registered Users Posts: 11 freeluas

Any good links to good builders in Wexford. Looking at building in Wexford. Not sure if its worth it at the moment. Have seen sites as low as 45,000 and looking to get a smallish bungalow built. Say 110 to 120 m S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭JajaD

Hi, im new to this thread.
    I am looking into buying or building a house. I would prefer to build. I live in the meath area. I would like to buy a 0.5 acre site and build a two story house of 2,000 sq foot. Does anyone know how much this would all cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

JajaD wrote: »
    Hi, im new to this thread.
    I am looking into buying or building a house. I would prefer to build. I live in the meath area. I would like to buy a 0.5 acre site and build a two story house of 2,000 sq foot. Does anyone know how much this would all cost?

I reckon you'd be looking at 400k from start to finish including site. Although site prices in Meath vary on how close to Dublin you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 freeluas

Gust spoke to a Structural Engineer today about prices. Firstly everyone here seems to be asking for prices in square foot. The building Industry was supposed to go Metric in 1971. My late Father helped introduce this system and since 1980 or so all teaching, exams are conducted through the metric system. I know many still think in the Imperial system as I partly do. But its much easier to calculate in metric and the figures I have been quoted are in metric.
    A reasonable total building cost would be 1000 euro per metre Square.
    Obviously this is for a basic single story house and nothing fancy. for those who dont understand the metric system a 1400 square foot house is approximately 130 m S. So a 130m s Bungalow might cost about 130,000 plus VAT.
    Am getting quotes later in the week for a house extrnsion and a Bungalow in Wexford. Will post them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Murr1

What are peoples opinions on direct labour compared to contractor.Ive been told its alot of work going direct labour.Is it worth it? Whats the rough savings on direct labour per sq.foot?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,041 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Murr1 wrote: »
    What are peoples opinions on direct labour compared to contractor.Ive been told its alot of work going direct labour.Is it worth it? Whats the rough savings on direct labour per sq.foot?
    If you can afford it or have no construction related background then Id suggest either a full contract on the job or at least employ a project manager for the direct labour route.

A quick rule of thumb is that contractors would have been working to a profit margin of approx. 15% so that is the minimum saving you should see by choosing direct labour.

There is a lot of self satisfaction to be had by doing it yourself so to speak but you really need to know a bit about building or have a close friend or relation who does and who would organise and keep an eye on the day to day stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Murr1

Ive no construction background at all but ive a brother currenty self building a dormer bungalow with direct labour...he also has not much experience but seems to be doing fine so far so im going to see how he fairs out.

Ideally id like to get a contractor but im not sure if the budget will stretch that far but its very very early days for me so im just looking at my options at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Dromardabu

The above posts have been really helpful thanks.

We will hopefully be starting our build in North County Dublin over next couple of months. There's a small old bungalow to be demolished on the site and the plan is a house of 3300 sq ft plus garage (attached)

There's great cost estimates on the sites but I'd like to start pulling together more detailed costings/quotes etc. A mate who's a QS is helping to draw up bill of quantities which will be a great help. We only recently moved to this area in Dublin (5 mins from M1) so dont have too many contacts yet..

I need recommendations/contacts for demolishing/site clearance; foundations; block layers; plasterers; builders/contractors; plumbers and a really good chippie. If anyone has any advice or contacts, please drop me a post or PM.
    Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

freeluas wrote: »
    ... The building Industry was supposed to go Metric in 1971. .....
    I feel your pain ! :D Where I am, we deliberately buy measuring tapes etc that are metric only.

All the material we buy, is, metric. And it's more accurate (for small dim's.)

Perversely, a lot of plasterboard and some OSB, is still made neither one nor the other, but rather, a metric equivalent.......of an imperial size ! (8' x 4')!

Dromardabu wrote: »
    ..We will hopefully be starting our build in North County Dublin over next couple of months. There's a small old bungalow to be demolished on the site and the plan is a house of 3300 sq ft plus garage (attached)
    ...fyi, 3000sq ft (279 sq m) house in North Co Dublin, by a client: all-in cost of €1059/sq m, including VAT.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 norming09

Im sorry is it just me or are some of these prices a big outragous?? I heard that you can build a house now for 70k and you would get a good house for that, 170k for a 3200sq ft house?? Sounds a bit steep we are in a recession are we not?

how much would it cost to build a 3200sq ft house? does anyone have an idea?

norming09 wrote: »
    Im sorry is it just me or are some of these prices a big outragous?? I heard that you can build a house now for 70k and you would get a good house for that, 170k for a 3200sq ft house?? Sounds a bit steep we are in a recession are we not?

It doesn't matter how many times you ask - you are getting consistent answers . Please reflect on what value your "contribution" here is .

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

look, im building a 3100 sq foot house and garage of 900 sq ft. My Neighbour is doing the same. MY finished builders finish will be 230 to 245 K. This includes legala nd professional fees but no finishing inside. This house complies to current regs and have gone way past this to unsure it will not require heat or at least minimal heating.
    My neighbour build a block house did not comply to current regs and now has a builders finish for 145K.

Take what you want from that as both were direct labour. Really you will have to do the research youself. You are not getting the full picture here as every individual case is different. I.E. My neighbour was a plasterer with contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

We are building a story and half house around that size. Hope to move in next month. When fully completed it will cost €390,000. That's every single penny of cost from design to move in. We got the site for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭mendel

We are renovating but had very little of value left, blockwork and roof (which all need repairs)

It is going to cost about 200k. House size is 250 sq m.

But as has been said every house is completed to a different spec. I'm sure you could get a basic finished house for the 170k mentioned.

I get very annoyed when I hear people saying that can't believe these prices because we are in a recession. Businesses still need to make money. If you are importing windows from Denmark or Germany the isn't much recession there. The guy doing your groundworks has to make his monthly payments for his digger. The standard for insulation is increasing every day, with it comes additional cost.
    It is reassuring to hear that there are people have spent as much per sq ft as us. When you see the notional of 70e per sq ft here on Boards you find yourself wondering if you were fleeced but then you consider the level of finish you have and realise that's where the money is.
    We could've built a 3500 sq ft house for 90e to a minimum spec but we built a 2400 sq ft house for around 130e.

One thing you need to factor in is the method of build. An on-site built house (blocks/bricks) has a bigger labour content, so the price can vary more. A factory-built house (TF/SIP/Steel), has a much lower labour content, so the scope for big savings in labour isn't there. And materials are still increasing, e.g. Kingspan Therma, and other PIR products all going up by 6% - 8% from 22nd September. Celotex by 9%, other stuff by as much as 15%. Ditto for (all) timber (products).
    Ive no construction background at all but ive a brother currenty self building a dormer bungalow with direct labour...he also has not much experience but seems to be doing fine so far so im going to see how he fairs out.
    If you are capable, and prepared to a lot of hard work, and for an indeterminate time, it will save money in your account. However, if you can't/don't have the time, it could well work out even-steven to pay someone, and at least to have a finite building period.
    look, im building a 3100 sq foot house and garage of 900 sq ft. My Neighbour is doing the same. MY finished builders finish will be 230 to 245 K. This includes legala nd professional fees but no finishing inside. This house complies to current regs and have gone way past this to unsure it will not require heat or at least minimal heating.
    My neighbour build a block house did not comply to current regs and now has a builders finish for 145K.

Take what you want from that as both were direct labour. Really you will have to do the research youself. You are not getting the full picture here as every individual case is different. I.E. My neighbour was a plasterer with contacts.
    ....exactly. Your neighbour is in the trade, and so will get better value, through contacts. If you don't have that knowledge/contacts, then, simply, you won't.
    I get very annoyed when I hear people saying that can't believe these prices because we are in a recession. Businesses still need to make money. If you are importing windows from Denmark or Germany the isn't much recession there. The guy doing your groundworks has to make his monthly payments for his digger. The standard for insulation is increasing every day, with it comes additional cost.
    It is reassuring to hear that there are people have spent as much per sq ft as us. When you see the notional of 70e per sq ft here on Boards you find yourself wondering if you were fleeced but then you consider the level of finish you have and realise that's where the money is.
    We could've built a 3500 sq ft house for 90e to a minimum spec but we built a 2400 sq ft house for around 130e.
    Amen, and +1000 :)
    mendel wrote: »
    We are renovating but had very little of value left, blockwork and roof (which all need repairs)

It is going to cost about 200k. House size is 250 sq m.

But as has been said every house is completed to a different spec. I'm sure you could get a basic finished house for the 170k mentioned.
    But this is the problem: people have to make a decision on what's driving the project. Performance (of some type, whether of thermal, aesthetic/design), or price-only. You really can't have it both ways. And, every €1 you put into efficiency, really will come back to you, over time.

Now, I was given these figures this week by an engineer who is planning a passive performance house. I haven't checked them, and so am taking them at face value, ymmv and all that........

Assumption is fuel increasing by 5% p.a. over 25 years.

House of 148.8m2, comparing passive(15kWh/m2/yr) to traditional (174kWh/m2/yr) performance. Using Kerosene as the heating fuel, cost p.a. to heat the two houses is €150 p.a. vs €1741 p.a. and the amount spent on fuel over 25 years then becomes € 7166.22 vs €83125.33, a massive difference of €75959.11.

I will be the first to admit that it's simplistic, and that no-one would actually run out and build a 174kWh/m2 house these days, but even if you half it, or one-third it, the difference is still huge, netting you a 'saving' over 25 years, of anywhere from 38k - 27k over the life of the building. So, the question now is, at what point does the extra for a higher performance building, make sense ? Well, in our case, we have estimated that passive adds 15% to costs. In an example in my mind then, a previously high performance spec of €875/m2, would become €1006/m2 - in which case, our 148m2 house would cost € 129,500 or € 148,888. Taking the fuel calculation above, then, sees that building the passive spec adds €22,988 to building costs, so taking the fuel costs above, you will spend anywhere from €4012 - €15100 LESS over the life of the building, if you were to build to the passive performance. If, as suspected, fuel prices go completely AWOL in the next 25 years, the savings could be exponentially greater.

Naturally, as they say in all the best ad's.......terms & conditions apply ! You have to like the idea of the passive house first, to even contemplate it ( I know many who don't). Then, you have to be able to access the extra €€ to build it, and you have to be able to service the extra cost (if you're borrowing it). Either that or don't change your car for another few years instead ! :D

Finally, as empirical data as I can get my hands on today, approx 3000sq ft, see attached excel sheet. Prices include VAT.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Some post there galway. Fair play!

Just an update from costs I got back from contractors in the last few days:

2350sq ft 2-storey, w/sunroom to one gable. Natural stone finish to one facade of sunroom.

Builder's finish, incl internal joinery, stairs, OFCH, Solar Panels, HRV, footpaths, u-value of 0.18 on walls, 100 insul under screed floors on GF.

Price came to €169k.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Lone Ranger

galwaytt wrote: »

2350sq ft 2-storey, w/sunroom to one gable. Natural stone finish to one facade of sunroom.

Builder's finish, incl internal joinery, stairs, OFCH, Solar Panels, HRV, footpaths, u-value of 0.18 on walls, 100 insul under screed floors on GF.

Price came to €169k.
    that is a great price,
    mine was 100k more, with 500sq ft extra:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭LoTwan

Price came to €169k.

Man alive! I am building c. 2500sq ft and the lowest quote for the house alone is €240,000 for a builders finish with no solar panels.

with all genuine respect to you galwaytt ( and I am sure you do know this - I just post this comment for others , not to niggle at you )

- there is a world of difference between
    a) a price at tender and
    b) the final build price

If a contractor under-prices two things are almost inevitable

1/ he won't be able to complete the works or
    2/ the works will be completed but poorly and perhaps not even b regs compliantly

sinnerboy wrote: »
    with all genuine respect to you galwaytt ( and I am sure you do know this - I just post this comment for others , not to niggle at you )

- there is a world of difference between
    a) a price at tender and
    b) the final build price

If a contractor under-prices two things are almost inevitable

1/ he won't be able to complete the works or
    2/ the works will be completed but poorly and perhaps not even b regs compliantly

That's ok, I'm not taking it personally, but considering that house is one of our ones, and he's built several of ours already, he now knows exactly how much little he has to do to finish it, and that's a big part of the competitive price.

I don't accept 1, in this instance because under the current banking regime, they're not releasing funds in stages like they used to, so he/us are carrying, effectively the bridging of finance. It's in his/our interest it gets done, and quickly.
    2 ? Oh that's easy - we don't do 'poor' houses ;):D

Which brings another interesting element into the equation, often overlooked: by dint of MMC construction (i.e. factory built), so much more of the costs are both known, quantified, and importantly FIXED, that it's easier to deliver fixed price contracts, accurately.

I don't know a single person who'd buy a car without knowing how much it cost before he paid for it. Ditto, a house from me, for example, unless I agreed fixed price and schedule. It wouldn't work for the client, and it def wouldn't work for us, as a company - we wouldn't know where we were headed.

And that's what's wrong with a lot of 'pricing' as you refer to it: it's not complete, and, in a lot of cases, optimistic - it's not malicious - and may be, as you say, to secure the job. But a lot of the posters on here are using direct labour, etc, so who's managing that 'quote' process.........??

Ode To The Motorist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 leedsutd11

what were the typical daily labour rates you paid and or did you price by the job rather than by the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 leedsutd11

Hi Kingshankly where is the build happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 MULBERRY TREE

Price came to €169k.
    Hi Galwaytt,I have been getting quotes in Dublin for a 2500sqft house and because its 'Dublin' I am getting punished.The basic house with no extras and the cheapest finish is €220 + an extra €10,000 for a lick of paint.I know there has to be excellent and fair builders out there looking for work,I would love to get a quote from yours.If possible could you pass on his details ,I would be very gratefull
    Mulberry Tree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 purpleorchard

wow there is some difference with quotes you are all getting! thought things had reduced! I am currently considering starting building in cork,it is amazing the difference in quotes im after getting in,80- 150 Anyone know good builders in cork who are priced competitively, we are building a 2400sq ft house?? also planning on building a garage first and living in this space while house is done, anyone done this before or would mobile home be better, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Dromardabu

Hi All,
    Can anyone recommend a good contractor to me that doesnt cost the earth. I have gotten quotes for a 3649 sq ft house of over €112 a square foot for builders finish. I know that others are getting much better down the country but because the build is in Dublin i think i'm getting higher quotes. The first question everyone asks is where is the house being built ? I understand it being relevant if the person asking is a contractor as they have to factor in travel but we are getting it from every single trade and supplier. When you are pricing a kitchen for example what different does it make where the house is being built unless your price will reflect the fact that you are used to paying higher prices for things ?? Huge generalisation i know but its astonishing how much interest there is in where we are building rather than the specifications of the build.. ..

Anyway rant over . . can anyone recommend a decent contractor in that would consider taking on a 3649 sqft house in north co. dublin. I have no issue with giving this work to Dublin contractors as long as the price is competitive.

Cheers,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Scartbeg

We are half way through building a 3400sq ft storey and half house + 1500sq ft garage in Tipperary. Gone direct labour with architect proj managing. Final price looking to be €360k inc. all external works, landscaping, fees, development charges etc. Site was free. So we are looking at €105/sq ft (house only), though we are getting a sizeable habitable space (800sq ft) in the garage for this price.

House is A3 rated as designed - block built with 150mm cavity, solar tubes, UFH, MHRV. Our choice of stonework and internal finishes has added to the initial budget, but biggest whammy outwith our control was having to change to a raft foundation, added about 25k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 vcorm

hi,could someone help me, I try to know how much will cost the rebuild of my house for insurance propos.but i am not sure where to look.my house is a detached house 2 stories, 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms.thank in advance! 3200sq f

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement