Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self build cost 2010 ??

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭icbarros

Hi,
    You can find the Guide to House Rebuilding Costs 2010 published by the Society of Chartered Surveyors here:
    http://www.scs.ie/publications/digital_publications

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭LoTwan

AARRGGHH! Some "helpful" citizen told my SO yesterday that "you can build a house now for €50/m2" so now I am hearing all about how we are being done etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

LoTwan wrote: »
    AARRGGHH! Some "helpful" citizen told my SO yesterday that "you can build a house now for €50/m2" so now I am hearing all about how we are being done etc.

I'm sure you could build a house for €50/m2.

I'm not sure you'd want to live in it though !! :p

Garden shed, maybe ?

Meanwhile, back on earth, got this from a client today.

152m2
    A2
    Airtightness of 0.84 on first go - might get it down below .57 on a retest (debating the merit's)
    Complete, turnkey building from greenfield site
    Went on site in.......June, iirc, moved in, 3 weeks ago.
    MHRV, Solar, Woodpellet
    Contractor build - no direct labour - and a well known (around here) premium builder at that, so top end of price scale.
    Includes treatment plant, landscaping, natural stone walls to front of site
    Simple design, top class materials.
    Total price, all in, incl VAT - € 180,000

House has JFC rainwater harvesting as well.

Which is.......€1184/m2 or, in English, €110/ft2

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Scartbeg wrote: »
    We are half way through building a 3400sq ft storey and half house + 1500sq ft garage in Tipperary. Gone direct labour with architect proj managing. Final price looking to be €360k inc. all external works, landscaping, fees, development charges etc. Site was free. So we are looking at €105/sq ft (house only), though we are getting a sizeable habitable space (800sq ft) in the garage for this price.

House is A3 rated as designed - block built with 150mm cavity, solar tubes, UFH, MHRV. Our choice of stonework and internal finishes has added to the initial budget, but biggest whammy outwith our control was having to change to a raft foundation, added about 25k.

..good to see those numbers: it proves that MMC methods are competitive, at the end of the day, compared to site-built, ignoring BER's (mmc's would be higher). But proving that at the start of a project is always very difficult. The more numbers we can get out there, the better. My own figures put MMC at within 1.5%.......ymmv and all that......

Your latter point on the raft though, intrigues me. I think it's a regional, or geographic thing, but in the West, you'd never see strip foundations. IMHO, raft's are better, for a variety of reasons - speed, simplicity, accuracy, moisture, radon detail and waterproofing, for a start. What I am failing to grasp though is the big number's people are being asked for/paying, for them.

Again, maybe it's unfamiliarity on my part, but, considering that strip foundations involve: excavate, steel, concrete, footings, subfloor excavation, sub floor install, and all the attendant multi-visit's of trades, ground conditions and time, and are still, again, imho, not as good a job (e.g. for mechanical fixing etc), then are people getting ridiculously cheap quotes for 'strip', or what ??

My own raft is 3397ft 2 (316m2) and the TOTAL cost was 30k, back in Celtic Tiger La-La Land (2007 :rolleyes:), so how could you be asked for €25k EXTRA, for one ???

I did an off-the cuff comparison on a project a while ago, and the raft would have been 35% cheaper here, than Dublin ?? It'd pay you to hire a crew from the West to travel East for the 4/5 days you'd need.
    Really, I'd love to get some hard no's - I'll see if I can get some at work, tomorrow as well.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Katz83

tubba wrote: »
    i recently did a bit of searching thru builders in kerry looking for rough estimates to do an extension on an small existing bungalow. most builders were quoteing in the region of 80k.
    there was a lot of work to be done to the existing bungalow, and a dodgy extension done by the council about 20 years ago would have to be ripped out. these were only guide prices according to the builders so chances are it would come over 100k.
    i then found a building contractor who told me it would be cheaper to demolish the whole house and build a new 3 bed bungalow (1200 sq/ft).
    he quoted me 75k for a builders finish which would include all fees such as water connection, esb connection, planning fees, footpath around house, all plumbing, electrical, doors (internal and external), insulation, etc..

all i would have to do is tile the floors in the kitchen, put down carpet/ wooden floors, put in kitchen units and tar the driveway.
    all structural works have a 10yr homebond guarantee.
    i know that 1200sq/ft is not as big as most people would, but i think it's not a bad price.

also i think davidoco has an excellent post. just shows us exactly how many hidden costs there are in self building.
    Hi i was wondering would you be able to email the details of this builder or i think you can mention in this thread but not sure about that as i am new to boards. We are going building in kerry as well and am trying to get a few quotes but they seem quiet high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,128 ✭✭✭✭muffler

No problem with posting names here in this forum (no private phone numbers though) providing the poster has no association.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭enol

I got a quote from a builder about a month ago for a build of approx 1100ft2, very simple 1&1/2 storey design/construction as commented on by any architect/builders providers that saw the plans, but with a lot of insulation in the form of rigid EPS. Block construction, standard concrete block on outer leaf, Quinn Lite on inner leaf, 240mm cavity for insulation/airgap. The price he came back with was e130K+vat (about 150k inc vat) for a 'builders finish' including red deal & white PVC throughout, it didn't include groundworks, electrics, plumbing, heating system, bathrooms, kitchen, flooring, paint or percolation area.
    Away with the fairies I thought, as did my architect, consultant engineer and builders providers.

I went back to the drawing board and reduced it to a single storey dwelling of 830ft2, extension to be done at a later date. The smaller build doesnt seem so daunting to do by direct labour, work has started, and the figures I've got so far are working out a hell of a lot cheaper than e150K for 1100ft2 for a shell with no water, heating, toilet or electricity!

I can't understand people who say "we're building a 3200ft2 house, but we're on a really tight budget"???:confused: My advice to people on a really tight budget: build a smaller house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 P3t3roc

I agree with moan 77 something in that region it depends on the finish you want. Make sure you have your money in place and then the world is your oyster. Know what you want to build, dont be vague, have your ideas in place, you can then build a beautiful house for the minimum cost. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Scartbeg wrote: »
    We are half way through building a 3400sq ft storey and half house + 1500sq ft garage in Tipperary. Gone direct labour with architect proj managing. Final price looking to be €360k inc. all external works, landscaping, fees, development charges etc. Site was free. So we are looking at €105/sq ft (house only), though we are getting a sizeable habitable space (800sq ft) in the garage for this price.

House is A3 rated as designed - block built with 150mm cavity, solar tubes, UFH, MHRV. Our choice of stonework and internal finishes has added to the initial budget, but biggest whammy outwith our control was having to change to a raft foundation, added about 25k.

that is pretty good.
    i am almost the same as you. direct labour , airtightness,solar a2 rating.3100 sqft house and 1000sqft garage. we are coming in at 117 a sq foot.though still finishing the house.build is mayo. timberframe,trippleglazing etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

There is a new stickied thread entitled Self build costs 2011 so one may choose to post there now

This thread will left open but may locked after a period .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,128 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thread now locked. There is a current/alternative thread here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement