Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant Attendance/college drop-out

Options
  • 16-02-2010 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hey guys.
    Ok so i need some major advice,im soo confused!
    Ok im a 1st year, missed 2 exams due to the bad weather, but also failed 2 exams :( and did well in the remaining two.

I just seriously hate college,im so lonely but yet my attendance from sep-dec was good, since 1st feb ive only been in twice, iv got my notes & up to date with everything but just havent gone in.
    I want to join the Guards,its the only career i want,and will do everything to get in,so im just studying Law now to pass tim until they start recruiting.

The questions i have are:

Will my grant be stopped because i havent been in much the last 3weeks??

And will it be possible to repeat my 2 exams + the 2 i missed in the summer, i got under 40 in the 2 i failed,but it says exemptions accepted?? dont know what this means :/ & will this effect my grant

Thanks Guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Hey guys.
    Ok so i need some major advice,im soo confused!
    Ok im a 1st year, missed 2 exams due to the bad weather, but also failed 2 exams :( and did well in the remaining two.

I just seriously hate college,im so lonely but yet my attendance from sep-dec was good, since 1st feb ive only been in twice, iv got my notes & up to date with everything but just havent gone in.
    I want to join the Guards,its the only career i want,and will do everything to get in,so im just studying Law now to pass tim until they start recruiting.

If I were you I'd finish your course before thinking about the guards. It will only keep you in better standing.
    The questions i have are:

Will my grant be stopped because i havent been in much the last 3weeks??

I don't think so. I've friends who got the grant for an entire year, and they only played halo (in empty classrooms) for the few weeks they were there. You should probably look into this more though, rather than taking my word.
    And will it be possible to repeat my 2 exams + the 2 i missed in the summer, i got under 40 in the 2 i failed,but it says exemptions accepted?? dont know what this means :/ & will this effect my grant

Thanks Guys

If you missed 2 exams due to the weather, you take them twice in the summer (if you fail each the first time). Once as a postponed 'first time' and once as the repeat with everyone else.

If youve recieved the 'exemptions granted' message, you only have to repeat one at most. I think they way it's decided is that if you get 35% or higher, youve basically passed, as long as you've done well in other subjects. Under 35% and I think you'll have to resit the test in august.

/hoping this is formatted correctly after a feed of wine

/edit:woo!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

If you are feeling lonely,going into class will help as you will be getting involved with your classmates,aswell as helping your results.

As pointed out the competition will be serious for the Gardai when the moratorium is lifted,having a Law Degree will seriously improve your chances of entry. Remember when they start recruiting they will have their pick of candidates and only the best will get in,I mean I doubt they will struggle to get numbers applying!

I was told for my grant that if I miss 25% of class during the semester I will not recieve it the next semester.

And its Rag week,so get out on the Wine,like some others here :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Most has already been said, but for the lonely issue, the best thing i can suggest is to get out and meet other people.

Join some of the clubs and society's and get involved!

Talk to random people about anything, and im sure you will hit it off.

There's plenty of students on boards from lyit, so drop some of us a PM and get to know us!

were all decent people! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Trish2007

today is exam consultation day so get yourself into college this afternoon and have a chat with your lecturers about what you need to do about the missed/failed exams.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 karenjordan

thanks guys :) Like ive been off since feb & its just so hard to meet peoople,everyone is in their own groups & just not as friendly :/
    25% of ur semester,hows that calculated exactly? im soo worried because i think my grant is due today & still have no payment :(

& for repeating exams,do i sort that out or will the college contact me ? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gamemaiden

Hi Karenjordan

Did you get sorted with your exams yet? I'm in 1st year law as well but I'm loving it! so let me know if you need a hand with anything and I'll do my best to help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭stezie

How can you be lonely at college? And do you not think it will be in templemore for your training? Then when you graduate as a garda you wont be able to police in your home town. You have to figure out where you want to be when you grow up.

You have an opportuinity to get qualified in law... you mess that up you'll have nothing. Dont be stupid and go to college.

You need a kick in the arse and ill give my right arm to be in your position of being young, in college with a grant, and studying law. Your friends and family will always be waiting for you at the weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 nhalley

hey lads, im kinda in the same situation! attendance was really bad, so i have to repeat my first year again. was just wondering would i still recieve my grant if i did the same course next year? is it the same if i chose to do a diff course or would i get the grant in that situation? cant really find any info on sites, be real help if someone could tell me! thanks a mill.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Irish_polizei

nhalley wrote: »
    hey lads, im kinda in the same situation! attendance was really bad, so i have to repeat my first year again. was just wondering would i still recieve my grant if i did the same course next year? is it the same if i chose to do a diff course or would i get the grant in that situation? cant really find any info on sites, be real help if someone could tell me! thanks a mill.

To be fair honest i think its a disgrace if anyone missed alot of days for any reason other than being sick and or recovering from injury.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

nhalley wrote: »

welcome to the lyit forum!

You will get a much better response if you post in the student finance section of boards.ie

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1101

but going on what you said, i find it very unlikely you will be elligable for the grant if your repeating the year.
    However, if you do repeat, finish the first year, and then move onto second year, you should get the grant again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 nhalley

welcome to the lyit forum!

You will get a much better response if you post in the student finance section of boards.ie

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1101

but going on what you said, i find it very unlikely you will be elligable for the grant if your repeating the year.
    However, if you do repeat, finish the first year, and then move onto second year, you should get the grant again.
    yea ok thanks ill go to that..but my friend in college is doin da same course as me now but he did a diferent course last year and he done first year again and he still got the grant for this year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

Correct me if im wrong here but i heard there is not grant next year? or you either have a choice of getting the grant or the back to education allowance, afaik its one or the other because the goverment are expecting twice the amount of people to be trying to go back to third education next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Cant see that happening, there'd be war. Alot of people couldnt attend college if there wasnt a grant, I think it will be still there but at a lesser ammount. I think i read recently that for every 2 applicants foor college places only one will get in.

Plus in the next 2 years college courses will be merging. They said , for example, that there is 30 engineering schools amongst all the colleges, most of which have loads of empty places. So we could see places like GMIT and Sligo IT for instance merging and if you wanna do an engineering course you would be applying for just the one college as it would be wrapped up in the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭TokenWhite

There is a grant next year but, as far as I know, if you are entitled to and accept the BTE then you are not entitled to the grant anymore, I think they may still pay your registration fees though. This only applies to NEW students enrolling in the 2010/2011 acedemic year, existing students will still get both payments for the duration of their course.

And to answer the original question, donegalfella is right that you will still be entitled to the grant in 2nd and 3rd year. I've heard though that you can get grant payments in a repeat year but that means you forgo payments in 2nd or 3rd year, which is pointless if you are serious about completing your course.

There is a change of mind option, ie If you fail this year and do a new course next september you start from scratch with the VEC, meaning you can apply again for the student grant and (assuming you or your parents havent earned enough to put you over the income bracket in the previous year) get accepted. The change of mind is a one off though, once you've used it thats it gone for good, no more grant, so choose your new course wisely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

theboss80 wrote: »
    Cant see that happening, there'd be war. Alot of people couldnt attend college if there wasnt a grant, I think it will be still there but at a lesser ammount. I think i read recently that for every 2 applicants foor college places only one will get in.

Plus in the next 2 years college courses will be merging. They said , for example, that there is 30 engineering schools amongst all the colleges, most of which have loads of empty places. So we could see places like GMIT and Sligo IT for instance merging and if you wanna do an engineering course you would be applying for just the one college as it would be wrapped up in the other.

I might be wrong but I heard we were already in talks to merge with university of ulster a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Talula_d

hi guys!
    just wondering has anyone any info for me...im going back to college to do the same course as my first time round wasn't very successful as a result i have quite large fes to pay because im repeating..i did receive the grant when i was in college but im just wondering is there any financial aid out there. Any help would be appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Talula_d wrote: »
    hi guys!
    just wondering has anyone any info for me...im going back to college to do the same course as my first time round wasn't very successful as a result i have quite large fes to pay because im repeating..i did receive the grant when i was in college but im just wondering is there any financial aid out there. Any help would be appreciated!

If you are repeating your first year then you won't recieve the grant for that year if it's the same course. If it's a different course then I think you do carry on getting the grant.

As for financial aid because you are technically going to be a first year again you can get on to the student union or the financial area of the college and see what they can do. I think they have a once off payment or maybe a loan of some sorts.

So unless you have savings or have a part time job then you may be in a spot of bother.

Advertisement