Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

D90 Wide Angle

• 16-02-2010 9:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

What is the best value (not necessarily the cheapest) widest wide angle lens for a Nikon D90? The DX sensor multiplies by about 1.52 so I know its somewhat limited if I want to go really wide. Not fisheye preferably. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

I have a D90 too and this is the one I want, when the money-fairy allows.

LENS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

The sensor magnification only applies to lenses designed for film cameras. If you buy a lens that is designed for a digital sensor then the listed focal length is true.

I have one of these for my D70s: http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3315&navigator=6

17mm is nice and wide for landscapes, 2.8 pretty damn fast (though I would like it a little faster) and as a nice bonus it has a pretty good macro functionality. Very inexpensive too. I'd get something fancier if I could afford it but for now it is a lens that has served me very well.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

check that out for some info

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/dx-lenses.htm

note - yes its ken, yes he's a tard, but the info is pretty sound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Zillah wrote: »
    The sensor magnification only applies to lenses designed for film cameras. If you buy a lens that is designed for a digital sensor then the listed focal length is true.

If I understand what you're saying here then you're wrong I'm afraid. The focal length of a lens is ALWAYS true, irrespective of what format the lens is designed for. However, if you mount a 50mm lens on a cropped digital body then it will result in a field of view that is equivalent to a longer lens mounted on a full frame body. The normal short hand way of referring to all this is to talk of crop factors. So on a nikon DX body a 50mm lens will result in a field of view that would be the same as a 75mm mounted on a FX body. Mounting that same 50mm on the FX body will result in a normal 50mm FOV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

If I understand what you're saying here then you're wrong I'm afraid. The focal length of a lens is ALWAYS true, irrespective of what format the lens is designed for. However, if you mount a 50mm lens on a cropped digital body then it will result in a field of view that is equivalent to a longer lens mounted on a full frame body. The normal short hand way of referring to all this is to talk of crop factors. So on a nikon DX body a 50mm lens will result in a field of view that would be the same as a 75mm mounted on a FX body. Mounting that same 50mm on the FX body will result in a normal 50mm FOV.

Bang on the button there. I have an 18mm at the minute but that 11-16 looks very sweet, however its stretching a practically non existent budget! I might look at second hand ones.. Going to san fran, getting an iPad and a new iphone hopefully... maybe this lens is a dream...!

Agreed on the whole ken aspect though...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I use the Sigma 10-20mm a lot & find it a very useful lens. Really good value for money too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

I also have the Sigma 10-20 and it is a good lens for the price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

+1 on Sigma 10-20 lens as well

that sigma looks pretty good, slightly wider with the 10mm and a bit cheaper too! I'll have to test them, thanks for the info!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

If I ever have money I'll be going for the tokina 11-16mm

• Advertisement

If I ever have money I'll be going for the tokina 11-16mm

why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

alexlyons wrote: »
    why?

From what I've read it's 'best in class' for DX - the range is perfect as it will stop exactly before my 17-55 starts, f/2.8 for the low light, when it comes to cost v performance I don't think it can be beaten by even a nikkor.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxiFxui0W-M

I saw this a while ago, that guy switched from the sigma to the tokina, ken rockwell shows the tokina being better than the much more expensive nikon wide angle lens in his review.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Sigma 10-20
    You cant go wrong.............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

What filters do you all use for the Sigma 10-20mm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

+1 for the Sigma 10-20. Don't use any filters on it at the moment.

Here's a sample image from it:
    3433983799_69e99a5750.jpg

I love what it does to cloudy skies.

Advertisement