Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Broadband

Options
  • 16-02-2010 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Hi all,

thinking about finishing with the dreadful service of broadband from Eircom. Was wondering, does anyone have the UTV broadband 8 mb service and how well it is going for them ?? Living in the Drogheda area.
    Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    RFX5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭peejay1986

I was with them (in Ardee) they were ok, although I found their customer service/technical support pretty poor whenever we had faults. We've since changed to BT and I think they're brilliant. Only on 3mb package but it's great, and they're much better value than UTV as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

peejay1986 wrote: »
    I was with them (in Ardee) they were ok, although I found their customer service/technical support pretty poor whenever we had faults. We've since changed to BT and I think they're brilliant. Only on 3mb package but it's great, and they're much better value than UTV as well.

Been with BT 7 meg service for years now, if UTV don't work out, consider them also.
    (They work out a lot cheaper than Eircom too.)
    I should mention that they have transfered their services to Vodafone but still the same packages, and in some cases even cheaper!
    HERE: http://www.vodafone.ie/homebroadband/?tduid=efcd6a5c33abaf92736db9bc88e1e1bf

Here is another link that might help:
    http://broadband.blogs.ie/
    http://broadband.blogs.ie/category/bt/

Good point Biggins, forgot to mention the change to Vodafone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

You guys are obviously not suffering the dreadful problems with vodafone since the change over from BT?

there is a 67 page thread here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055738410&page=67

Speed on our 7mb package here is about 60kb per second every evening. And the contempt that vodafone has shown for it's new customers is nothing short of shocking.

Also looking to change here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

We have UTV internet a few years now. Customer service is dreadful, the problem is the holding time waiting to get through. You could be waiting 45 minutes just to get to speak to someone. The woman who says " all lines are busy please hold" sounds a bit depressed which doesn't help when your holding on for a lifetime. But when you get through its ok.
    I pay for 3 mb but I only get 1.5 mb. UTV have said its not their fault and blamed eircom because its their line.
    I asked eircom if I switched back would it get better. They said sign a contract for a year and then we will send an engineer to the exchange to see if it can be improved, but they could not guarantee anything. :confused:

So its hard to know if eircom would be any better. With UTV some evenings the speed is dreadful, we reset the modem a least one a night and it gets a bit faster. It also goes down frequently ( maybe twice a month to be fair).

If you make calls to UK landlines UTV do a good internet and phone bundle and all calls are free. Thats the only reason we have not moved from them as we have a few friends we call in the UK regularly.
    Reading posts on this site over the last while, I don't think we have any one provider that has overall agreement on their service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭gernon

Guys, sounds like some of you need to consider going the wireless route that way your not dependent on Eircom or their structures e.g lines and exchanges.
    Have a look at http://www.net1.ie/ or Digiweb even.
    I have had Net1 for 3 years and seldom a problem, others may disagree but I can only speak of my experience.

gernon

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Red Fan X5

I have read that with UTV broadband, they offer a contention rate of 10:1 on their 12mbps.
    Question for you techies out there :

Even if the line belongs to Eircom with all of their problems, will the UTV package not be better due to the lesser contention rate? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Red Fan X5 wrote: »
    I have read that with UTV broadband, they offer a contention rate of 10:1 on their 12mbps.
    Question for you techies out there :

Even if the line belongs to Eircom with all of their problems, will the UTV package not be better due to the lesser contention rate? :confused:

Good question.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Biggins wrote: »
    Been with BT 7 meg service for years now, if UTV don't work out, consider them also.
    (They work out a lot cheaper than Eircom too.)
    I should mention that they have transfered their services to Vodafone but still the same packages, and in some cases even cheaper!
    HERE: http://www.vodafone.ie/homebroadband/?tduid=efcd6a5c33abaf92736db9bc88e1e1bf

Here is another link that might help:
    http://broadband.blogs.ie/
    http://broadband.blogs.ie/category/bt/

Do you know whether Vodafone are strict about download limits?

Ever since I connected to Eircom, 4 years ago now, I've been over the allocated download limit constantly and never been charged anything extra or had any restriction placed on my connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Salty Dog

+1 on the ropey UTV customer service. Grand service when everything was working.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Ever since I connected to Eircom, 4 years ago now, I've been over the allocated download limit constantly and never been charged anything extra or had any restriction placed on my connection.

I can't say its happened to others or not but I have yet to be cut or restricted in any way, ever - and I have pushed my luck many a time.

I guess I'm one of the lucky few.

10801413.png 722433772.png

Biggins wrote: »
    I can't say its happened to others or not but I have yet to be cut or restricted in any way, ever - and I have pushed my luck many a time.

I guess I'm one of the lucky few.

10801413.png 722433772.png

+1 on the download limit. Never had a problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

Just dont get perlico.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

This

I destroy the download limit on eircom almost every month and haven't had so much as a warning. My only reason for not changing to Vodafone as I know in the past with the mobile service they have been less than kind with these limits so I don't see why it won't be the same with the fixed line.

Just on the lads that say they haven't had a problem. First since its early doors after the takeover I don't expect anyone to get done as Vodafone are ***** that stay quiet and leave people alone until they build a good reputation and bigger customer base and then pounce by charging unwitting people left and right. Also when I say destroying I am talking in terms of having A 30GB limit and using 100GB+ in alot of months ? Would you be doing this usage ?

Advertisement