Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV 8 mb Broadband

• 16-02-2010 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Hi all,

thinking about finishing with the dreadful service of broadband from Eircom. Was wondering, does anyone have the UTV broadband 8 mb service and how well it is going for them ?? Living in the Drogheda area.
    Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    RFX5

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 escapethematrix

What problems are you having with Eircom. If it slow speeds after 6pm or its due to a poor line, moving to UTV will not give you any joy, very unlikely.

I have had the 7.6 package for 8 months now and found it to be generally good. There were serious issues a couple months back where the pings were 250+ and download speed very poor also. Some upgrades were completed and since that point I can download around 600-700kBps. Ping to local servers is 31ms average now...

One thing I would fault UTV with is why the hell are they not offering 24mb like other Eircom resellers?? Why offer 8mb service when they already have 7.6... seems pointless. The extra .4 will hardly be noticeable since most people outside of 1 mile of exchange will have probs synching at the full 7.6 anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

I have UTV for the last 4 years. Never had any problems and would certainly recommend them. The phone service option is excellent. Currently I have the 8mb service. They offer a lower contention ratio of 1:10 compared to Eircom at 1:48.

I also find it frustrating that they have not yet offered the 24mb service, although I am told it is coming. But they didn't say when!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Ardmore3 wrote: »
    I have UTV for the last 4 years. Never had any problems and would certainly recommend them. The phone service option is excellent. Currently I have the 8mb service. They offer a lower contention ratio of 1:10 compared to Eircom at 1:48.

I also find it frustrating that they have not yet offered the 24mb service, although I am told it is coming. But they didn't say when!!!!!!
    I'm switching from 7.6Mb to 8Mb. I asked them in the process about 24Mb, and they were also very unspecific. They just stated that eircon are rolling it out and when it becomes more widespread, they will add it to the line-up of products.
    admin@u.tv wrote:
    We cannot offer 24mb broadband just yet but it will become available in the coming months.Very few lines are capable of supporting such speeds, so we will be changing tariffs when the availability becomes more widespread. Eircom are currently upgrading lines all over the country so I would imagine that we will be able to offer these tariffs soon enough.

I remember, though, that eircon paved the way for ADSL2+ during the 2008 speed upgrades. They claimed to have upgraded over 100 exchanges with ADSL2+ technology, which was primarily at the time for their newly introduced Business packages that were over 8Mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Red Fan X5

I have read that with UTV broadband, they offer a contention rate of 10:1 on their 12mbps package.

Question for you techies out there :

Even if the line belongs to Eircom with all of their problems, will the UTV package not be better due to the lesser contention rate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Red Fan X5 wrote: »
    I have read that with UTV broadband, they offer a contention rate of 10:1 on their 12mbps package.

Question for you techies out there :

Even if the line belongs to Eircom with all of their problems, will the UTV package not be better due to the lesser contention rate?
    12:1 on the 8Mb package. I wouldn't know about their business packages vs. Eircon's, but if they are able to guarantee that then it might be better, but then again it might not. It all depends on your neighbors and their usage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement