Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

inside log cabin

Options
  • 16-02-2010 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

hi i've ordered a log cabin that i plan to groom dogs from. basically it will be a damp, hairy environment. light is also somethin that is really important and were it a normal room id paint it white to maximise light. i'm wondering if anybody knows is there anything i can paint/varnish the inside with, ideally in white but with some kind of laquered finish so i could kinda wipe it clean.lik gloss but gloss is prob too messy plus iv never seen gloss used in an expansive area.is there anything out there or am i bein unrealistic?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭scienceoverBS

hi i've ordered a log cabin that i plan to groom dogs from. basically it will be a damp, hairy environment. light is also somethin that is really important and were it a normal room id paint it white to maximise light. i'm wondering if anybody knows is there anything i can paint/varnish the inside with, ideally in white but with some kind of laquered finish so i could kinda wipe it clean.lik gloss but gloss is prob too messy plus iv never seen gloss used in an expansive area.is there anything out there or am i bein unrealistic?

hi stargirl
    im also in the process of getting a logcabin for a games room. there a amazing cost effective alternativel to a brick build. im using www.loghouse.ie the site has a good gallery for interior ideas hope it helps. also who are you using are they any good?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Depending on the logcabin build you,ve chosen really. Some builds have a single external log wall partition. basically the external wall viewed from outside, is also the wall viewed from inside.

Other builds have a double external wall make up. Where as the wall viewed from outside, has an inner sheeted wall face. If it is this make up, you could ask the supplier to line this inner face with something like grossfilex instead of vertical sheeted timber. This is a plastic type material that is a wipe clean finish.

Whatever finish is applied to timber logs or panelling, requires an extremely smooth surface, in order to have a wipe free finish. If you intend to have a lot of water or moisture in a certain area, you might think about lining that area in a waterproof material like grossfilex, instead of trying to maintain a waterproof finish on pine timber. Given the different types of humidity and environment that is going to take place in this area ie. steam, moisture, heat, air transfer, trying to keep timber safe from harm is going to be tricky.

Different climates in this room is going to cause movement in the timber material, moreso than in a static climate environment. Movement of timber in most finishes may cause hairline crazing in finishes that may not be apparent to you, but will allow moisture ingress into the material. Once that happens, staining will occur, and thats an irreversible process for the novice.

One person who is knowledgeable on paint, finishes ect, is madm if he,s still posting on the diy forum, tell him I sent you:)

kadman

Advertisement