Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog bedding ideas?

Options
  • 16-02-2010 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭

Hey, does anyone have any ideas of good bedding for my dogs? They sleep outside in a kennel in a shed, and they used to have a soft dog bed (from when they used to live indoors at night, but had to move outdoors cos we moved house and I live with my parents and they want to keep the house nice and dog free) but the soft bed got damp easily so I threw it away. Then they had straw but they just dragged it all out of the house and then peed on it! (One of them hates the rain and just decided that instead of leaving the shed, she would just go to the toilet in there.)

So I can't think of anything to give them that would be suitable for outdoors, but does anyone have any ideas?

They're Cavaliers so have lots of fur and the three of them sleep on top of each other anyway (with a cat who joins them on cold nights), so they seem to be fine just on the kennel floor, but if anyone has any ideas let me know, thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

There are all weather dog beds.

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_beds_baskets/dog_cushions_pillows_blankets/matresses/129361

Is there not a utility room they could sleep in though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Thanks, those look good. They would be soft anyway, and I'd say the dogs will be warm enough from each other's body heat hopefully.

Unfortunately there's no way my parents would let me bring them in the utility room. They put up with enough from me and all my pets :) They'll let the cats in for a few hours a day for cuddles and I convinced them that my kitten needs to sleep indoors, but I'm pushing it . . . I really need to get a job and move out!

Oh, and does anyone know if vet bedding would work outdoors? (the dogs might have wet paws and it would get wet) and if that is warm and comfy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

morganafay wrote: »
    Oh, and does anyone know if vet bedding would work outdoors? (the dogs might have wet paws and it would get wet) and if that is warm and comfy?

Vet bedding is very warm and comfy. If it gets damp (not soaking wet) the water will soak down to the underside leaving the surface reasonably dry so that the dog isn't lying in wet. It's also very machine washable and really durable. Putting some cheap pillows underneath it will make it very soft too, and these are easy to bung in the washing machine and tend to dry overnight.

Thanks

I think I might go for one of the outdoor pillows on zooplus, since I have to order some rabbit stuff anyway. :) It says they're waterproof, but the one I want (the only one I reckon will fit in the kennel properly) says it is fleecy, which doesn't sound waterproof to me! But it says it is. I don't wanna waste 30 euro but if it gets soaking wet outside then I can always give it to the cat instead, since she's outgrowing her bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭alleystar

You can use loads of shredded paper. It's warm for dogs and cheap

I imagine paper might get damp though, or the dogs would pull it out in the shed and pee in it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭alleystar

morganafay wrote: »
    I imagine paper might get damp though, or the dogs would pull it out in the shed and pee in it again!

Ha! Probably would.

I've a beagle and he won't sleep on anything else. I change it every week like, it's better for him coz he used to rip his dog cushion to shreds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 clevercanines

My dogs love shredded paper aswell. They drag it in to make it cosy & when it gets wet it turns into a lump so real easy to clean up

Advertisement