Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

solid fuel chimneys...health hazard!

• 16-02-2010 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

this is just a heads up for all you people who use solid fuel or indeed oil or gas appliances in your chimneys..i shot this video last week in a houise in monaghan,....the chimney was not looked after and as a result will now need relined...this is a costly job..and with carbon monoxide poisoning on the increase...in more ways than one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wM6_sMEplc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,616 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You'd really have to explain to me what was wrong with what I was looking at. I patiently watched it (well I did skip a couple of bits where the plot slowed down ;)) but I have no idea what was happening.

We have a chimney with a long, almost horizontal section from a boiler in the middle of the house which chimney cleaners will not touch as other chimneys on the estate (1960s houses) have collapsed, something to do with moisture collecting on the upper side of the pipe and rotting the lining (I think). The boiler is due to be moved very shortly, and we do have a carbon dioxide alarm, but sometimes you are up against bad building.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

I'd guess the flue liners are cracked, potentially letting flue gases into the house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Is this an advertisement ?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭celtboy1888

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    Is this an advertisement ?
    not ment to be...just health and safety in the home advice..

and ye the flue gases can escape into living spaces..

Advertisement