Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

miniature pig

Options
  • 16-02-2010 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I would really love one of these for a pet, but i have no idea where to buy one. Any help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I really want a couple of these, one day, when I have a pet farm! I've never seen them for sale though sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

Hi there,

Im mad to get one too, and I have been researching it for quite a while.

I was in contact with a woman in England who is one of the most successful breeders, http://littlepigfarm.co.uk/ , and she does rehome pigs to ireland, but she has someone in ireland who is going to begin breeding them too.

I would just encourage anyone thinking of getting one to do lots and lots of research, as these little pigs aren't dogs, and need a LOT of training and can get bored easily, they really are a lot more work than dogs!

They are absolutely gorgeous though! Join the littlepigfarm facebook group, Jane regularly updates the facebook with really cute videos!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 n_dowling

Thanks a million for all that information! Yes i think i do need to research them more, i saw pics and they're just gorgeous! I think i might check out the website though. Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭juanyjuans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I am patiently waiting for miniature cows to come to Ireland. Then I will be a happy woman! I fecking love cows!!!!

• Advertisement

Magenta wrote: »
    I am patiently waiting for miniature cows to come to Ireland. Then I will be a happy woman! I fecking love cows!!!!

Ha ha I love that!!!! Growing up I always wanted three horses, three dogs, a cow, a pig and a sheep! Thats still the plan!!!

Miniature cows would be adorable! They must be out there somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

are mini pigs bred in the same way teacup dogs are? Or are they a seperate breed of naturally small pig?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

As far as I'm aware they are bred from small pigs but then only the smallest of each litter chosen for breeding, that's similar to teacup yorkies isn't it? Some of the english mini pigs grow to be a max of spaniel size but in America they have them down to mini yorkie sized.

I'd loooove one too but couldn't bring myself to pay €700 for a designer pet. Guess I'll be waiting until they start trickling into rescue. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Ha ha I love that!!!! Growing up I always wanted three horses, three dogs, a cow, a pig and a sheep! Thats still the plan!!!

Miniature cows would be adorable! They must be out there somewhere!

They are, the Dexter breed is one of them, it's actually an Irish breed.
    If you Google "Miniature cows" there's some farms in the States that have them!

lilcows1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

They might be cute but do take a look at that link, just because they are small doesn't mean they won't need space there are plenty of small pig breeds as it is all pigs no matter what size need to root and roll and play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Sassie

Magenta wrote: »

I bought a minature short leg dexter cow last november at a rare breed cattle sale in Tullow, Co Carlow.

I had seen these cows on TV and got a notion into my head that I wanted one.

I bought her for €840, in calf, with a REPS grant of €300 as she is a rare breed.

She just had a heifer calf two days ago to great excitment as she looks like a puppy.

The cattle dealers name was Pat Melvin, Castlrea, Co Roscommon.
    He may have more. Very easy to manage, Same as any cow, very quiet temprement and they calf in a hidden place.
    Hope that helps

Sassie wrote: »
    I bought a minature short leg dexter cow last november at a rare breed cattle sale in Tullow, Co Carlow.

I bought her for €840, in calf, with a REPS grant of €300 as she is a rare breed.

She just had a heifer calf two days ago to great excitment as she looks like a puppy.

He may have more. Very easy to manage, Same as any cow, very quiet temprement and they calf in a hidden place.
    Hope that helps

PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭StandardAngel

Aww just googled minature pigs and found this picture, they are so cute, i want one!! :D

http://www.dailypets.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/pig4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Sassie

PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/297754/110325.jpg

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/297754/110326.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

They're so cute! I'd love one as a pet one day, cos I could never handle a full sized cow. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Don't know about the miniature pigs, but pigs in general are very intelligent and can dig, burrow and eat their way through most things. Once, two pigs we had managed to dig down to our water pipes and eat through them.

They're fond of escaping as well. Great fun to have, but be warned about their antics. Oh, and they're quite social.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 _walsh_

Hope that helps
    i no patrick melvin has got more dexters, u can see them at the enfield roundabout he has many rare breeds irish and others.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

You will also need a pig herd number from the department. For any pig.

Advertisement