Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

deactivated firearms

Options
  • 16-02-2010 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

hi lads, whats the law on owning deactivated guns, is a licence required. was paying money off my rifle today and noticed the man had a load of pistols on the wall, all put behond use, but never asked him about the law.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

i think its just a letter off the super to allow you to keep them , they can ask to inspect the gun to be sure that its beyond further use, don't know what standard they expect (if any) , i seen a lee enfield that was done recently , and have seen them for sale in gun mart magazine etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

jap gt wrote: »
    hi lads, whats the law on owning deactivated guns, is a licence required. was paying money off my rifle today and noticed the man had a load of pistols on the wall, all put behond use, but never asked him about the law.

You just need an authorisation from your super to keep it.
    If they're unsure of the deactivation they might ask you to submit it to ballistics for a checkout. It depends on your local Super, if it's a British deact with a proper cert from the proofhouse they might just check the cert against the gun and be happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

does anyone here keep them, where can they be got, can they be shipped from england

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

My grandmother had a deactivated Webley revolver that her husband had used to kill a British Army captain back in the bad old days.

The Guards deactivated it by drilling thru the top of the frame - very disappointed to see it done like that.

jap gt wrote: »
    does anyone here keep them, where can they be got, can they be shipped from england

Buying from the UK is easiest, but you can buy from other countries as long as the deactivation is properly done. UK deactivations come with a cert which would be more familiar to the Gardai than something more obscure.

Deactivated guns are common across the UK, but a lot of smaller shops won't want to sell outside UK borders if they can sell to someone down the road for a lot less hassle. Make sure to ask before you buy.

A lot of firearms dealers here will handle an import for you for small money and no trouble with paperwork.

The Militaria section of the collectables and antiques forum would be a good place to start if you're looking for more info.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

I suppose its approval for each firearm on its own merits! with no restrictions on deactivated hand guns as apposed to long firearms.

Sort of flies in the face of the restricted list nonsense of firearms having a military style:rolleyes: and whats to stop deactivated hand guns being used in crimes!!

Anyway I love to own a colt 1911 and a Lee Enfield MK4

PS While I'm here trolling and flaming does anyone know what the story is on deactivated Ammo?

regards ivanthebowhunter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

I suppose its approval for each firearm on its own merits! with no restrictions on deactivated hand guns as apposed to long firearms.

Sort of flies in the face of the restricted list nonsense of firearms having a military style:rolleyes: and whats to stop deactivated hand guns being used in crimes!!

Anyway I love to own a colt 1911 and a Lee Enfield MK4

PS While I'm here trolling and flaming does anyone know what the story is on deactivated Ammo?

regards ivanthebowhunter

if you go out to stick up a post office or bank with a deactivated/airsoft pistol , the only one liable to get hurt is you when the eru turn up ! as for deactivated ammo it falls into the same thread as having component parts of ammo , a licence is needed i think for any part even if the ammo is inert .

rowa wrote: »
    if you go out to stick up a post office or bank with a deactivated/airsoft pistol , the only one liable to get hurt is you when the eru turn up ! as for deactivated ammo it falls into the same thread as having component parts of ammo , a licence is needed i think for any part even if the ammo is inert .

Agreed on the post office. You are likely to see many an inert round at a militaria fair though. The Gardai policing the big fairs seem to be happy as long as everything is harmless and the event is well planned.

Advertisement