Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PIR DOOR CHIME KIT NEEDED

Options
  • 16-02-2010 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi,

Im looking for some sort of alarm/pir that basically will set of a chime when somebody opens the door. It has to be a sensor as the door opens both in and out. Has anyone any ideas of where to get this type of kit, or will this work with an alarm style pir connected to a 12v transformer with a chime. Not looking to spend a fortune on it either.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

A PiR (or a door contact)wired trough a relay onto the contacts of a door bell would do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

truckey wrote: »
    Hi,

Im looking for some sort of alarm/pir that basically will set of a chime when somebody opens the door. It has to be a sensor as the door opens both in and out. Has anyone any ideas of where to get this type of kit, or will this work with an alarm style pir connected to a 12v transformer with a chime. Not looking to spend a fortune on it either.

Thanks.

Hi truckey,

If you have an alarm in place you could activate a chime on the zone which will ring the internal bell when the door is opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

truckey wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks.

make sure that the pir you select can handle the inductive load of the traffo and the arrangement you are thinking of will work IMO, obviously you'll need to select a PIR with a very short on time and angle it so that is wont pick up movement other than door traffic, oh and I'd use a 220V lighting PIR to switch the 220V side of the traffo as you can get them to switch inductive loads. I dont know what sort of voltage is used in alarm PIRs, but I'd imagine that they would not handle the current, once again this is just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

if u hav,an alarm, u can wire the door contact to the panel and set chime on/off this should cost less €5. (contact 30c and wire whatever)..
    you can go into stores like b§q or argos and there may be something there..try ebay?

Advertisement