Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How bad is it ???(I know it's pretty bad)

• 16-02-2010 11:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭

Ok I went to bed a few nights back and left my pc doing the “shutting down installing updates” thing (I am running xp) any way in the morning I went to start and I ended at a blue screen the screen before the blue one offers a few options , start in safe mode ect none of which work it just runs threw some stuff before going to the blue screen , I have two questions 1 is there any way of fixing this ??? And 2 is there any way of recovering the pictures and mp3’s that where on it or are they gone for good ???

Thanks in advance
    Chris

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

All your files should still be there, the operating system has just shat itself over something... don't re-format.
    I think the best thing to do would be to download a decent boot CD... Ubuntu or Knoppix... you have the option with those to just run from the CD without installing anything... once you've loaded up the CD OS, you can backup your files to a thumb-drive or what ever.

It doesn't fix your original problem, but getting your files to safety is number 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

is the the one you where talking about ?? http://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/download

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

If you have the original XP cd, you can reinstall on top of the broken installation (without formating). Or you could try repairing from the installation disk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kobek

I wouldn't reinstall on top of the present system although it may solve a problem but it's messy.
    Some boot OS may do the job. If you're not familiar with the UNIX OS you may tray Hirens Boot CD it has all you need in any emergency situation, find a link below:

http://www.hirensbootcd.net/

There is another solution - take your hard disk to your friend and download all your files and you're done.
    Good luck
    mac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

From what I've heard, this is a known issue caused by a recent patch for Windows XP.

The link below should help. It's an article from ComputerWorld and is a bit over the top, but it has links to possible solutions.

J.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9155419/Windows_patch_cripples_XP_with_blue_screen_users_claim?taxonomyId=89

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

1. Boot from your Windows XP CD or DVD and start the recovery console (see this Microsoft article for help with this step http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/307654)

Once you are in the Repair Screen..

2. Type this command: CHDIR $NtUninstallKB977165$\spuninst

3. Type this command: BATCH spuninst.txt

4. Type this command: systemroot

5. When complete, type this command: exit

Your computer should restart and everything should be back to normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

As others have said, a boot cd should get you in to save off your files. If this is the same issue with updates that has been reported over the last few days it may be that the presence of a rootkit is the cause, so a total format/reinstall may be in order after you get your files safely backed-up.

RT66 wrote: »
    As others have said, a boot cd should get you in to save off your files. If this is the same issue with updates that has been reported over the last few days it may be that the presence of a rootkit is the cause, so a total format/reinstall may be in order after you get your files safely backed-up.
    the above sequence of tasks will repair that issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

the above sequence of tasks will repair that issue

How so? It looks like all it does is back out of the conflicting update. Any malware present on the the system will remain.

• Advertisement

run the above sequence, then run your malware and virus scans.

Means you can recover your data easier.

then you can decide wether you want to do a clean install of windows or run AV/Malware scans

Advertisement