Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career in teaching/lecturing

Options
  • 16-02-2010 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I am considering going back to college in September and would appreciate advice on courses that anyone has done as after completing the IATI exams. At present I am an accounting technition and would now like to broaden my career, possibly a job that inter-acts with people more.
    An area that I am interested in would be going into teaching or eventually becoming a lecturer. I imagine that teaching can be very stressfull at times that it would be also very rewarding.As I am a parent, I would need to do a course that I could do from home rather then attending college full time as I would need to continue working part time(this is what i did prevoiusly)

Any advice on which route to take would be much appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

You could try www.oscail.ie . If you have any interest in english or history, the teaching council recognises the oscail BA as a qualification to teach english and/or history in a VEC to leaving cert. If you did the post graduate diploma in education for a year after you could teach english/history in any secondary school.

A cheaper alternative is the university of london external system in which you can get a degree for less than €4,000 if you don't drag it out over too many years. However the problem with doing degrees not automatically recognised by the teaching council in Ireland is that you then have to get your degree recognised after you complete it and there's no guarantee it will be.

There's also the open university. Expensive for the republic of ireland I think.

Oscail give exemptions for previous study even if the qualification is not related to your oscail degree.

EDIT: You can also teach CSPE with the oscail degree if you do sociology but a lot of schools just hand out CSPE classes to teachers with 'spare hours' so might be a waste of a subject there

Advertisement