Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Campbell for President of DITSU 2010

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Dinner wrote: »
    Woah! Lets not get too hasty!

At least the Squirrel had character (and no annoying pop up window madness)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Nevin said it would "cost one million euro" and it was "a waste of time"

That's a load of bull. If I can run google apps and a gmail-like system on a box in my house, then DIT can run it on their systems. It's not like having a bit of downtime on the mail server will be unusual when setting this up...

I'm assuming they have the hardware. If they don't have the expertise then they need to remove the IT guys asap. On top of that, Google have been keen to get this working in various campuses. I'm sure they'd be more then happy to lend DIT a hand in changing over... of course some plucky DIT representative will need to have the gaul to go and talk to google first.

Your move, Nevin!

Fewcifer if you actually READ what I am writing- NEVIN SAID HE WOULD NOT IMPLEMENT IT. CAMPBELL SAID HE WOULD. NEVIN WON. Icto facto no gmail. DUH

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Fewcifer if you actually READ what I am writing- NEVIN SAID HE WOULD NOT IMPLEMENT IT. CAMPBELL SAID HE WOULD. NEVIN WON. Icto facto no gmail. DUH

I think the point being made is that the wheels are already in motion on this switch to gmail, and thus, a new man sitting in office next year can't stop it....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

I think the point being made is that the wheels are already in motion on this switch to gmail, and thus, a new man sitting in office next year can't stop it....

Assuming the wheels were actually in motion which is doubtful.

• Advertisement

They weren't in motion, seany was investigating the cost and getting in touch with google but as of yet it hasnt been put forward to governing council or governing body as the proposal, i assume, was not complete. his promise was to propose it in his current position, and follow it through next year in his capacity as President. Nevin shot down every single one of his policies, saying gmail will not happen under his reign nor will exams before christmas. so there you go. we're stuck with mydit.ie. awesome.

I read every one of your words Clisare, but I think you're missing some key points and have since the start of the various debates in this thread.
    LOL you got to laugh its cheaper than what they using already my da works in DIT and he told me that this is happening...lol gmail here we comewink.gifwink.gif

The above was said in another thread. It was said by the same guy who started this thread, Tonyfloney, so you can take it with a pinch of salt as it's ultimately pro-Sean, but there may be truth in it.

If gmail was in the works and DIT wanted it then it would happen. I'm pretty sure DITSU did not approve of the current mydit email system (since they've been going on about gmail for the last 4 years at least.)

No, I have not been missing key points actually. If you had attended one of the hustings you may know the story. I attended every single one, including the governing council one, which, as a governing councillor, you should have been at, and had you been, you might know the story. I am not missing any points. As far as DITSU goes, Sean was the pusher of Gmail. Nevin will not push it. Should DIT choose to go ahead with gmail without the insistence of a sabbatical then that is external to this debate. Plus, excuse me, but "my da works in DIT ;);)" does not exactly seal the deal for me. I never said it wouldnt happen, i said nevin would not push for it.

So, fewcifer, please enlighten me as to what "points I am missing."

No, I have not been missing key points actually. If you had attended one of the hustings you may know the story. I attended every single one, including the governing council one, which, as a governing councillor, you should have been at, and had you been, you might know the story. I am not missing any points. As far as DITSU goes, Sean was the pusher of Gmail. Nevin will not push it. Should DIT choose to go ahead with gmail without the insistence of a sabbatical then that is external to this debate. Plus, excuse me, but "my da works in DIT ;);)" does not exactly seal the deal for me. I never said it wouldnt happen, i said nevin would not push for it.

So, fewcifer, please enlighten me as to what "points I am missing."

Now, no need to make things personal there Clisare, because if we're revealing details about each other I'm sure there's plenty I could mention not only about your campaign but the preamble etc.

You were at every husting because you had a vested interest. Yeah, I wasn't at the husting, busy busy in final year. Yeah, wasn't at the governing council hustings, had a dissertation deadline at 9am the next morning (which I told you today and sent my apologies to the appropriate people, won't be apologising for it here.)

If I was to go back on the points you've been missing re: reform, well I think they're many.
    Currently I'm on about this point: if DIT are in the process of implementing Gmail having Nevin as president will not affect this, he's not the president of DIT, he's the SU president. The SU didn't implement mydit, nor will they implement whatever else is coming down the line. Repeatedly stating that Nevin will not pursue gmail does not change the fact that if it is in motion he will not effect it, move forward and engage the argument.
    As I said before, sabbats have been promising gmail for 5 years now. I don't think implementation is hanging in the balance of Sean getting elected and I'm sure Nevin wouldn't try to block it if it looked feasible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭GarethWA

Fewcifur wrote: »
    Now, no need to make things personal there Clisare, because if we're revealing details about each other I'm sure there's plenty I could mention not only about your campaign but the preamble etc.

You were at every husting because you had a vested interest. Yeah, I wasn't at the husting, busy busy in final year. Yeah, wasn't at the governing council hustings, had a dissertation deadline at 9am the next morning (which I told you today and sent my apologies to the appropriate people, won't be apologising for it here.)

If I was to go back on the points you've been missing re: reform, well I think they're many.
    Currently I'm on about this point: if DIT are in the process of implementing Gmail having Nevin as president will not affect this, he's not the president of DIT, he's the SU president. The SU didn't implement mydit, nor will they implement whatever else is coming down the line. Repeatedly stating that Nevin will not pursue gmail does not change the fact that if it is in motion he will not effect it, move forward and engage the argument.
    As I said before, sabbats have been promising gmail for 5 years now. I don't think implementation is hanging in the balance of Sean getting elected and I'm sure Nevin wouldn't try to block it if it looked feasible.

I'm kind of wondering what points you say Clisare is missing here...all you've said is that DITSU don't have enough power within DIT to impliment change.
    The simple fact is that if the President of DITSU wants to push for something with DIT, they have to listen. Given the problems occurring with mydit as recent as this morning, i think DIT will have to consider it, but with budget cuts this year of 18%, do you really think they will put out for it without the DITSU boot kicking them in the rear to get it? The voice of the students needs to be heard on this issue, because the current email system is simply not good enough!

Don't bring personal stuff into this, the fact is that Clisare was not attacking you for not showing up to the hustings, merely pointing out that things may have been said that you may have missed.

• Advertisement

Should DIT choose to go ahead with gmail without the insistence of a sabbatical then that is external to this debate. I never said it wouldnt happen, i said nevin would not push for it.

I agree with what you are saying.

Im sorry, fewcifer, I didnt mean to make it personal. I would say the same to any governing councillor.

Im tagging out.

PS thanks gareth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭GarethWA

Im tagging out.

Probably a good idea to tag out now myself, this thread should actually get locked as elections are over.

Fewcifer, if you want to debate this more, i'd be well up for that, but in a thread specific to that discussion. I'm sure there's a few people that would like to weigh in with their opinion on boards that don't know this type of discussion is happening here!:)

GarethWA wrote: »
    I'm kind of wondering what points you say Clisare is missing here...all you've said is that DITSU don't have enough power within DIT to impliment change.
    The simple fact is that if the President of DITSU wants to push for something with DIT, they have to listen. Given the problems occurring with mydit as recent as this morning, i think DIT will have to consider it, but with budget cuts this year of 18%, do you really think they will put out for it without the DITSU boot kicking them in the rear to get it? The voice of the students needs to be heard on this issue, because the current email system is simply not good enough!

Don't bring personal stuff into this, the fact is that Clisare was not attacking you for not showing up to the hustings, merely pointing out that things may have been said that you may have missed.

Ugh, I could trawl through this thread, find all the points that people made and Clisare ignored. The reason I said it was because of...
    Originally Posted by Deleted User viewpost.gif

Which judging by Projectmayhem's response was Clisare missing the point.

Hang on, there was no need for this to get personal, I'd be the last person to make something on boards personal, but Clisare made it personal by using knowledge of me from real life in her argument. I only mentioned the possibility in a "do unto others" reminder. Everyone on boards is entitled to anonymity, unless I'm mistaken.

These topics have been debated here at length for the last four years, plenty of threads to search for or create.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Some fairly petty arguments from Clisare and other SU types - Imagine that...!!! Outing someone on an anonymous board is bang out of order.

Nevin, Campbell, whoever it is/was - the SU have no say in how DIT run the infrastructure and operations of the institute. Sure, they can raise issues, but they have neither the power to force a change, nor that to block a change.

Whatever the issue, would someone please just think of the children.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

discus wrote: »
    Some fairly petty arguments from Clisare and other SU types - Imagine that...!!! Outing someone on an anonymous board is bang out of order.

Nevin, Campbell, whoever it is/was - the SU have no say in how DIT run the infrastructure and operations of the institute. Sure, they can raise issues, but they have neither the power to force a change, nor that to block a change.

Whatever the issue, would someone please just think of the children.

True poster is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 tonyfloney

Lol nevin shot down all of campbells stuff and he said he wouldnt do any of his items he was asked in kevin st and he said no...! gmail is great and dit mail is crap with a capital "C" so lets hope campbell gets it done before the end of the year.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

by the way gmail is not going to happen anytime soon. if you think it will then you have no clue just how incompetent the technicians in dit are. most of the school of computing will tell you this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I don't give a toss about the whole "Student Life" anymore. The students union holds no power except for the ability to raise some issues as said.
    Kevin street is still a bit of an embarrassment in comparison to places like DCU/Trinity. Students Union, DIT KS == non existent as far as I see it.

Don't get any hopes up just because there is a new panel. The place won't really change, like it hasn't for the past three years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Naikon wrote: »
    I don't give a toss about the whole "Student Life" anymore.
    Well I gathered that by the fact you regular the linux forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

L0L maybe I need some help

• Advertisement
Advertisement