Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campaigning to close Itsyourmoney.ie

Options
  • 16-02-2010 11:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

I want to set up an E-campaign to have Itsyoumoney.ie (irony) closed as its wasting hundreds of thousands of euros that could be used in our hospitals
    (my brother almost died the other week in louglinstown hospital due to over worked staff making bad financial descissions) . I'm just sick of the
    Irish tax payers money going to quangos like this website its
    a complete and utter loss. If you go there and click on say "having children" link its so bad you'd have to be mentally chanlenged to find this site useful.
    The salt in the wound for me is that its run by the "financial regulator" (irony)

I'd like to post a few emails they've sent in response to my questions about the site and then ask your users to send a complaint email to
    consumerwebqueries@financialregulator.ie

Its that simple its not a political thing its just hopefully a few people
    wanting to get this site closed to save us all some money.

I'm hoping you can tell me what to do from here with regard to help from Boards.ie and the setting up of a "E-Campaigns Section" on your site,useful hints only please

:- )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

Moved from Site Development.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

Glad to hear that your brother is recovering Chris, however Im confused.

What do medical staff have to do with 'making bad financial decisions'? Also the HSE funding is totally separate from the funds used to run anything that the financial regulator has to do with. In fact the financial regulator could be completely shut down and the HSE would still be knackered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Chris williams

Its all about the money, and what they waste in one place is needed elsewhere they gave my brother a cheap xray and sent him home with a
    course of laxitives when if they'd have gone for the more
    expensive Cat scan they'd have seen that infact he had Pancreatitus
    and that they needed to get him to ICU straight away.
    Instead the cheap decision is going to cost him for the rest of his life
    as in that week of terrible pain spent at home so much damage
    has been done to his Pancreas that he may never fully recover.

My point is I hate to see money sqandered on stupidity like this
    website.

Government spending on rubbish is putting peoples health at
    risk.This is a FACT

I've seen first hand how a simple contract in Fas turned from
    2 weeks to 2 years. My employer at the time ran rings
    around the Fas Morons "running " the project. Who were
    evidently to busy running their own scams at the time
    to bother opening their eyes.

This website yourmoney.ie smacks of the same rubbish
    its a value less money pit.

All money is in a pool in government and what a quango doesn't spend goes back to be spent on other things ie hospitals

This is my reason for asking for the development
    of an E-campaigning page on Boards.ie

So that these morons know people see what they're wasting money
    on and to voice they're disgust.

I hope your brother recovers fully but TBH the website is the thin edge of the wedge. You say yourself that the wastage in Fas is worse.

The conditions that medical staff (and patients) are under are more to do with bad management and government policies rather than a lack of money. If you wanted to plan a coup to usurp the government, then you would get a big plus one from me. However the closure of a government site will not save neither pennies or lives IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Its all about the money, and what they waste in one place is needed elsewhere they gave my brother a cheap xray and sent him home with a
    course of laxitives when if they'd have gone for the more
    expensive Cat scan they'd have seen that infact he had Pancreatitus
    and that they needed to get him to ICU straight away.
    Instead the cheap decision is going to cost him for the rest of his life
    as in that week of terrible pain spent at home so much damage
    has been done to his Pancreas that he may never fully recover.

Do you know that the doctor made that decision becasue he was saving money and not just because he did'nt think your brother had pancreatitis? ie just a bad doctoring decision?

The HSE's budget is quite large, it's just badly run. Your issue's should be with the senior civil servants and people running the hospitals. The same people will be doing these jobs long after FF are gone from the government.

• Advertisement

My issue is with wastage of Irish tax payer money.
    A symptom of this is my example of my brothers situation.
    He was moved out of ICU we were told by the nurses because two other people
    were waiting for his bed and he was no longer sick enough to be
    there. The very next morning after being put on a standard ward
    he was rushed back to Intensive Care. This was yet another doctors
    bad call. If you tell me this was not down to resourses presure and ultimately
    money then you know nothing. When the time comes for you set foot in an
    AE and have to wait hours till you calapse on the floor in pain like my brother
    when this time comes I only hope you remember our little conversation,

Most people are getting caught up in whether my brothers predicament
    is to do with money well it is.

Heres the simple question.

itsyourmoney.ie should be closed

Yes.

No.

This is the output from an online "whois "
    Seems to say the central bank had something to do with this site
    and its not just the Financial Regulator

domain: itsyourmoney.ie
    descr: Central bank
    descr: Statutory Body
    descr: Discretionary Name
    admin-c: AAR577-IEDR
    tech-c: ENS2-IEDR
    renewal: 24-March-2010
    nserver: auth01.ns.eircom.net
    nserver: auth02.ns.eircom.net
    nserver: auth03.ns.eircom.net
    source: IEDR

person: JOhn O Neill
    nic-hdl: AAR577-IEDR

person: Eircom Net System Dept.
    nic-hdl: ENS2-IEDR

Then my answer is no. The website will do nothing for effective spending and management in the HSE.

your answer is No because I forsee a time you regret your statment
    about the lack of money not affecting hospital policy

or

you believe that its a good website and deserves our money that its much
    better spent on website contractors and hosting costs and competition cost.
    Than say helping sick people.

Neither.

Its because with or without the site the HSE would still be in the sh1te. I thought I made that clear in my previous posts. The issue with the HSE is not about money but bad management and worse management of money.

• Advertisement

Yet again my point is its YOUR money why waste it why choose to
    have no say at all where it goes as I believe you should.

Huh? I guess because even if the website is closed, I will still have no influence on how my taxes are spent.

axel

Listen your so caught up in my example (hospitals) of where the money should be spent your missing the point. Its being spent on a website
    that is there providing information of no benefit to the public and charging
    them for the privilege

This is a discusion about closing itsyourmoney.ie
    This would be a small change granted but it would save a small fortune
    would i be right in guessing you've not even been to the site in question
    because you've not mention what you think of it at all

Stekelly wrote: »
    Do you know that the doctor made that decision becasue he was saving money and not just because he did'nt think your brother had pancreatitis? ie just a bad doctoring decision?

The HSE's budget is quite large, it's just badly run. Your issue's should be with the senior civil servants and people running the hospitals. The same people will be doing these jobs long after FF are gone from the government.

Again this is not a political issue hospitals are just an example of where
    the money could go.

The issue is the closure of Itsyourmoney.ie

I checked out the site because of this thread.

Ok Ill hear you out-

Exactly how much money is being spent on setting up and running this site?

How do yo know that this site is not useful to the public?

How do you propose how the funds 'saved' can be redirected to the HSE? Are you talking about the HSE in general or a specific department (buildings, salaries,children & families, hospitals, to name a few)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Its being spent on a website
    that is there providing information of no benefit to the public and charging
    them for the privilege

This is a discusion about closing itsyourmoney.ie
    This would be a small change granted but it would save a small fortune
    Proof please.

axel rose wrote: »
    I checked out the site because of this thread.

Ok Ill hear you out-

Exactly how much money is being spent on setting up and running this site?

How do yo know that this site is not useful to the public?

How do you propose how the funds 'saved' can be redirected to the HSE? Are you talking about the HSE in general or a specific department (buildings, salaries,children & families, hospitals, to name a few)?

The issue is closure of the website as its a waste of money

I've asked for figures from the financial regulator but I've
    received nothing as of yet. They did sent me an email
    which I've included below stating they've gotten over a million
    hits since 2007 which in my opinion equates to a million
    disapointed people.

The latest competition i've seen offered the first 500 entrants a memory key costs were probably in and around

60 cent for jiffy bag envelope
    55 cent for postage
    1.50 memory key (paid over odds no doubt)

making 2.65 X 500 €1325 euros as i put it and as they put it "very low in monetary value"

That would total 47,700 euros if they've been running this kind of competition every month for the 3 years they've been going

I acknowledge receipt of your email and comments.

The Financial Regulator has a statutory function to inform people about the costs, risks and benefits of financial products. Itsyourmoney.ie is one of the ways that we fulfill this function. Our website has had over 1 million unique visitors since it launched in September 2007. The information is designed to help consumers to understand personal finance products, which often can be complex. We believe this helps consumers ask the right questions and in turn, get the most suitable products for their needs.

Our overall spend on any prizes on the website is very low in monetary value. Prizes typically include references to our website - to remind consumers where to go if they need help.

Kind regards,

Itsyourmoney.ie

Proof please.

Proof would be that it is to be financed by the central
    bank judging from the online whois on the previous page.

Also checkout paragraph 3.2
    http://www.financialregulator.ie/consultation-papers/Documents/CP01%20The%20Funding%20of%20the%20Irish%20Financial%20Services%20Regulatory%20Authority/The%20Funding%20Of%20The%20Irish%20Financial%20Services%20Regulatory%20Authority%20Consultation%20Paper%201.pdf

This means a serious spend if they are involved.

In their own email they say their website has taken over
    a One Million new hits

How much exactly does this infrastucture cost is your question I think. Boards.ie may be able to hint at that, but it being the financial regulator i guess they've over spent as these things usually go to the highest tender if the FAS website was anything to judge by.

The cost what ever it is is Too High

The issue is closure of the website as its a waste of money

I've asked for figures from the financial regulator but I've
    received nothing as of yet. They did sent me an email
    which I've included below stating gotton over a million
    hits since 2007 which in my opinion equates to a million
    disapointed people.

The latest competition i've seen offered the first 500 entrants a memory key costs were probably in and around

60 cent for jiffy bag envelope
    55 cent for postage
    1.50 memory key (paid over odds no doubt)

making 2.65 X 500 €1325 euros as i put it and as they put it "very low in monetary value"

That would total 47,700 euros if they've been running this kind of competition every month for the 3 years they've been going

I can understand that you are angry that your brother had such a horrible experience.....but I'm at a complete loss to see why you have linked this to itsyourmoney.ie.........When it comes to wasted tax expenditure there's worse out there.....

Not to mention that your criticisms are not the proof that was requested from either Aidan or I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

How much exactly does this infrastucture cost is your question I think.
    No, my question was please substantiate your claims that the information is of no benefit to the public, that they are charging the public for the information (not one page I have been to on the site asks for money - the fact that it is run by the Financial Regulator doesn't count) and that a small fortune would be saved if it was closed (again, claims based on guessed figures and speculative "if they had been" doesn't count).

• Advertisement

axel rose wrote: »
    I can understand that you are angry that your brother had such a horrible experience.....but I'm at a complete loss to see why you have linked this to itsyourmoney.ie.........When it comes to wasted tax expenditure there's worse out there.....

Not to mention that your criticisms are not the proof that was requested from either Aidan or I.

The issue I repeat is that here's a site thats costing the Irish taxpayer
    money. Money that could be spent elsewhere

Your getting hung up on the my example of where that money (whatever the amount) would have been better spent.

You would have to be a moron to gleem any information of any benefit
    to you from this site. Read it yourself its comical

http://www.itsyourmoney.ie/index.jsp?1nID=93&2nID=95&3nID=95&pID=95&nID=231

No, my question was please substantiate your claims that the information is of no benefit to the public, that they are charging the public for the information (not one page I have been to on the site asks for money - the fact that it is run by the Financial Regulator doesn't count) and that a small fortune would be saved if it was closed (again, claims based on guessed figures and speculative "if they had been" doesn't count).

You do Pay for this site you are Charged in your TAXes

In the section for HAVING CHILDREN

they inform you that children cost money to bring up

eg food and baby clothes etc

this is the kind of moronic crap you don't expect from the Finanial Regulator of Irelend

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

this is the kind of moronic crap you don't expect from the Finanial Regulator of Irelend
    Actually it's exactly the kind of moronic crap I was expecting tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

In the section for HAVING CHILDREN

they inform you that children cost money to bring up

eg food and baby clothes etc
    And goes on to give advice on ways to organise your finances, some of which is very useful information. Should we shut down the Citizens Information site as well? All informational sites run by the government? You've claimed there is no useful information on itsyourmoney.ie, I can quite clearly see that's not true at all. By providing prudent financial advice, it's entirely possible that the government is actually increasing its tax take and lessening the number of people who have to go to welfare. Regardless of whether that's true or not, you've done no kind of cost-benefit analysis, just taken one look at the site and decided it's not worth the money.

Should we give every patient who comes into a hospital a full CAT scan? While there was undoubtedly a bad decision made in your brother's case, that was a doctor's decision. Every hospital in the world, whether private or public, makes decisions on a cost basis

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    And goes on to give advice on ways to organise your finances, some of which is very useful information. Should we shut down the Citizens Information site as well? All informational sites run by the government? You've claimed there is no useful information on itsyourmoney.ie, I can quite clearly see that's not true at all. By providing prudent financial advice, it's entirely possible that the government is actually increasing its tax take and lessening the number of people who have to go to welfare. Regardless of whether that's true or not, you've done no kind of cost-benefit analysis, just taken one look at the site and decided it's not worth the money.

Should we give every patient who comes into a hospital a full CAT scan? While there was undoubtedly a bad decision made in your brother's case, that was a doctor's decision. Every hospital in the world, whether private or public, makes decisions on a cost basis

I'd be very interested to know what exactly you didn't know before you entered the site that you were so happy to learn.

Was it Things like buying a house you'll need to talk to a solicitor

or

Having a baby they'll need clothes and food don't you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Quick, without looking, what's a tracker bond? What's my monthly repayments on a 45 year, €550,000 mortgage with an apr of 1.5%? Where's a good place to see cost comparisons of investment schemes?

It's a reference site, it's supposed to have both the very simple and the very complex. And I can guarantee you that there are plenty of people out there who think you don't need a solicitor to buy a house

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Moved from Forum requests

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Looks to me like it is publishing information the government should be publishing. Shutting it down would be wrong. Closing it will not produce any positive results anywhere. I don't know how much it costs, and you don't seem to know either, but I'm pretty sure it will be a drop in the ocean anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

OP what made you pick on this website? This thread seems very odd and more a vendetta on the website. Taxpayers money is spent on a lot of things but does that mean we should head hunt everything our money is being spent on?

You have provided absolutely no facts to show this website is actually a waste of money. You seem to be stuck on your own opinion that it is and that no one benefits from it.

You said that people in this thread are hung up on your brothers experience which might I add I am glad he is getting better but you cannot compare the waste of this website to the failing of the HSE. If this isnt about your experience with the HSE dealings of your brother then what is it about. Why hell bent on attacking this website.

As someone mentioned the HSE are well funded but spend their money badly. This thread is just odd.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement