Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

67 year old kicks ass on bus

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Asking a black man how much for a spitshine is racist. It's racist here and it sure as fukk is a hell of a lot more racist in the US where racial tensions have whole different significance and history to here.

Whether or not the old man is racist all depends on the intentions behind the question. I can't speak of the mans intentions but i can certainly understand the black mans outrage, but there is no doubt he handled it badly, awfully infact.

It's a bit sad to see the Irish become so "white".
    What if a black man asked a white man for a spit shine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Asking a black man how much for a spitshine is racist.

I believe it was the black guy that brought up the subject of spit shines

he said some thing like "why you got yo feet all up in my space man, you want me to spit shine those shoes?" to which the bearded fellow responded "you wanna shine my shoes".. then it all kicked off

I don't know if EBM is a racist, but he does seem like an utter cnut

in a later video he said "I aint no racist, I live with a black guy"

he goes on to say "I knocked his teeth out one night when he tried to steal my crack"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I believe it was the black guy that brought up the subject of spit shines

he said some thing like "why you got yo feet all up in my space man, you want me to spit shine those shoes?" to which the bearded fellow responded "you wanna shine my shoes".. then it all kicked off

I don't know if EBM is a racist, but he does seem like an utter cnut

in a later video he said "I aint no racist, I live with a black guy"

he goes on to say "I knocked his teeth out one night when he tried to steal my crack"

The video of the incident that i saw didn't contain that, it started with the white man asking "how much for a spitshine". What you say could be right though, i don't dismiss that. They are both culpable.

I don't actually think he is a racist, but what he said was racist. He's clearly nuttier than squirrel sh1t.

Bonito wrote: »
    What if a black man asked a white man for a spit shine?

What if an Irish man made an inappropriate joke towards an English man about the potato famine that happened in England all those years back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

What if an Irish man made an inappropriate joke towards an English man about the potato famine that happened in England all those years back?
    That's not treating like for like. Would I be right in saying the only reason you think a white man asking a black man for a spit shine is racist is because of the history of slavery etc?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭eddie the eagle

Asking a black man how much for a spitshine is racist. It's racist here and it sure as fukk is a hell of a lot more racist in the US where racial tensions have whole different significance and history to here.

Whether or not the old man is racist all depends on the intentions behind the question. I can't speak of the mans intentions but i can certainly understand the black mans outrage, but there is no doubt he handled it badly, awfully infact.

It's a bit sad to see the Irish become so "white".

asking anyone for a spitshine is offensive, regardless of their colour. its looked upon as a lowly job. see what happened in goodfellas when the guy told joe peshi's character to go home and get his shine box... they were of the same race. why does it have to become a race thing here?

tbh im a bit sick of this stage of anytime a white person says boo to a black person they are automatically racist. i meet lots of people in my life who for whatever reason i just don't like them. why is it that when one of those people i don't like is black it's because im racist. that is BS. and i think its time the black communty woke up to this fact because they are denying themselves the freedom to walk amoung the people of this planet as equals by their own prejudice.

and btw it was the black guy who origionally asked if EBM wanted a spitshine. so what does that make him?

Asking anyone for a spitshine is offensive. Asking a black man for spitshine, in America with it's strong history of racial tension, tensions which exist to this very day, is racist. It was probably a faux pas, but it's still a racist comment. It takes on different connotations.

A white man saying that to a black man, while stupid, i don't see at as a moral outrage that black people should be up in arms about. That's not the issue i took with this.

The issue i take is the undercurrent of racism in a lot of the comments about the incident and fatuous attempts to defend ones rights to be racist at worst, needlesly insensitive at best.

Asking anyone for a spitshine is offensive. Asking a black man for spitshine, in America with it's strong history of racial tension, tensions which exist to this very day, is racist. It was probably a faux pas, but it's still a racist comment. It takes on different connotations.

A white man saying that to a black man, while stupid, i don't see at as a moral outrage that black people should be up in arms about. That's not the issue i took with this.

The issue i take is the undercurrent of racism in a lot of the comments about the incident and fatuous attempts to defend ones rights to be racist at worst, needlesly insensitive at best.

we're going in circles now.

what about the undercurrent of racism in the black community towards the white man. or is it not possible for blacks to be racist because they are a minority? believe it or not a lot of people feel that way. why is racism looked upon as soley a white trait? racism is a two way street.

heres the thing. in a place like where that footage was recorded there is a lot of racial tension. from both sides. both sides play a part in the present ongoing run of things. it does't help that one side is constantly waving a get out of jail free card at the other due to past history.

the truth is the black community are just as racist as the white community. it just manifests itself in different ways

we're going in circles now.

what about the undercurrent of racism in the black community towards the white man. or is it not possible for blacks to be racist because they are a minority? believe it or not a lot of people feel that way. why is racism looked upon as soley a white trait? racism is a two way street.

heres the thing. in a place like where that footage was recorded there is a lot of racial tension. from both sides. both sides play a part in the present ongoing run of things. it does't help that one side is constantly waving a get out of jail free card at the other due to past history.

the truth is the black community are just as racist as the white community. it just manifests itself in different ways

Where the hell are you pulling that argument for? Nobody on here has said it's okay for blacks to be racist against whites. I am opposed to ALL racism.

You have to keep in mind though, that in the U.S institutionilised racism still exists. Julie stands a hell of a lot more of a chance of landing the same high paid job that a Shaniqua with the exact same qualifications does.

Where the hell are you pulling that argument for? Nobody on here has said it's okay for blacks to be racist against whites. I am opposed to ALL racism.

i don't see why people should have to walk on eggshels just because someone may be offended due to their own prejudices
    You have to keep in mind though, that in the U.S institutionilised racism still exists. Julie stands a hell of a lot more of a chance of landing the same high paid job that a Shaniqua with the exact same qualifications does.

in this day in age you will probably find the opposite is true. due to equallity groups and such many companies have to hire/promote people because they are from a minority group. many times the person who is better for the job is passed over because companies have to be seen to be non prejudiced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bigbadbear

Guys, In terms of who is in the wrong here, EBG expressly conveys to the other guy that he is not making any comment about only "a brotha" being able to shine his shoes. He actually says "I'm not prejudiced it could be a chinaman for all I care" Other guy says,'Get your ass back up the front' and EBG immediately stands up to leave. The other guy then went up to the front and threw a punch in.

In the end he got punished for it but what if the old guy wasn't a good fighter??? The other fella would have started on an OAP!!!:eek:

Lets make it clear that EBG is not an angel and looking at the videos of the aftermath he seems like an absolute fruitcake:pac: BUT he was within his rights to hit the guy (who judging by his apology video is a completely innocent and normal member of society)*

It is ironic that the very people who are so against racism that make the subject of race into a taboo are actually the ones who are supporting racism without realising it. In order to get rid of racism we need to be able to make comments about race without it being taboo.

For example, A construction foreman is trying to work out which of his labourers he wants to get to do a job that requires a lot of strength to do. He has two African fellas working for him who, naturally, are well built. If his accociate were to suggest something like, 'get one of the black lads to do it. Sure they're both massive' would he be a racist??

Some people would think so. Just like anti racists who say the black guy in the video was a victim just because of the colour of his skin. Can't people see that attitudes like this are prolonging the racial tension??

* Sarcasm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Bring Amberlamps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Co45

in this day in age you will probably find the opposite is true. due to equallity groups and such many companies have to hire/promote people because they are from a minority group. many times the person who is better for the job is passed over because companies have to be seen to be non prejudiced.

Wrong. The guy who wrote freakonomics applied for hundreds of jobs, same qualifications but one name was a white name and one name was a black name. 9/10 times the companies called the White sounding name for an interview and not the black.

this may be true. but from my own personal experience, i have worked with a company where this was it case that they employed a certain percentage of people due to the colour of their skin over their capabilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Bring Amberlamps
    Ok
    1266475074253.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Bring Amberlamps

Why, is there someone "leaking"? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Bring Amberlamps

Bring m&ms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Interview with Michael the guy who got his ass kicked.

It throws a new perspective into the mix, well worth looking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bigbadbear

Interview with Michael the guy who got his ass kicked.

It throws a new perspective into the mix, well worth looking up.

I certainly don't think so. He's a liar!! Even look at the video of his friend she's another one acting like butter wouldnt melt in her mouth

If these people were a bit more genuine (especially the bloke) then he would get more people on his side. I think EBG and the black guy were both out or order in some way or another but on the day the black lad was probably more the aggressor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbsX5j-8T3Y

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

"Pinky" - racist no?

Not that I care :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Beaniedude

Woah black betty, Amberlamps
    Woah black betty, Amberlamps
    Epic Beard Man is class:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Beaniedude

Just to add :D

heres the link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh0TOeo4noI

Black betty, now with more amberlamps