Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C&C Eiffel Tower

• 17-02-2010 12:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭

Lucky enough to be away in Paris for last weekend and managed to bring the camera and tripod. Great trip and am reviewing the photos I managed to take. But I have one question about nighttime shots I took. With the WB set to Auto (I know !), I got a brownish sky. I use Lightroom for RAW adjustments, and can change the sky to Blue by lowering Temp to 2000. But which looks better / more realistic?

4364888846_008434549c_b.jpg

Link

or

4364888238_ddb07f4a15_b.jpg

Link

All comments appreciated
    TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

too small to see really, but I'd probably go with the second and bump the blacks up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Teeny tiny size aside, #2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Make them at least four times the size, then we'll talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭jrd

Zillah wrote: »
    Make them at least four times the size, then we'll talk.

Apologies all. Did not want to tie up too much bandwidth but did not realise they would seem so small for you. Images edited above and linked to Flickr location too. Thanks again

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Cannot see the images here at work.

If you are shooting RAW then there is nothing at all wrong with Auto WB. It will only affect the default image & is variable in conversion, as you have done.

In fact all Auto Settings have their uses & can be quite handy if you understand them & know their limitations. [Dirty_Harry] "Man's gotta know his limitations" [/Dirty_Harry]

With understanding you can select the best mode to use in a particular situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Is it leaning to the left a bit ? I like no2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

a complete aside.... Did you know that you could be 'pursued' by the owners of the Tour for publishing an image of the lit tower?? The non-lit version is out of copyright, but the lit version isn't. Have a look at postcards of the lit version.....

Also, using tripod on private ground is only allowed in France for 'professonals' I kid you not. Your ok on the pavement but don't try bringing a tripod into, for example, a cemetery in Paris. My wife is a pro. and was required to prove it by showing her 'permis' when entering the Pierre Lachese to take pics of famous graves.....

Just for info, brilliant images.....

Bye, Barry

P.S. did you freeze when taking the pics, it was bloody cold....:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Number two seems to have noise down the right side of the sky

I think the first shot is better with the boat, do like the blue tone of the second even if the browner tone is probably closer to reality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

the brownish sky you refer to is light pollutions.. so for me its no 1 as its more realistic.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

This is a great shot of the tower. The composition is very well made.

I prefer #1 because as the lasts poster said, it's more realistic.

Thanks for sharing :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Now I can see it (:) ) there's some funniness on the right of the second image. Is that your conversion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I'm getting a bit of vertical streaking in what I can see, much more pronounced in no2.
    Have you tried a B&W conversion for comparison, then the sky may not be so important in the image as it's quite flat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

The second one definitely has something funny going on in the sky, seems to be a few vertical streaks. Did you shoot in RAW? I'd love to see the first one with the temp toned down a touch. Great shot though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭jrd

Thanks to all for taking time to comment. Light pollution seems to be the way to go. To answer some of the questions

1) yikes, yes I think it does lean slightly left but wanted to get a view on the processing before I go tweaking :o
    2) no, completely unaware of any restrictions on the lit Tour Eiffel. off to research this next :eek:
    3) yes, frozen alive last weekend. got up at 7am to get shots of the Tour from Trocadero which would be unlit but God it was cold and took ages for my hands to thaw !
    4) the funny conversion causing the banding must be Lightroom temperature change or the JPEG export. will check now

Will post update later and thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

I like the tower from number one and the background from number two

Advertisement