Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A theory (regarding the helpdesk problems)

Options
  • 17-02-2010 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,433 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just reading some of the misplaced questions on helpdesk and it's pretty obvious that a lot of them are newbies.

I think the problem simply is that there are so many forums on Boards.ie (every now and again I see one and think wow - never knew there was a forum for THAT!). So, with that an mind, how about a large button with a list that has every forum under one category and predictive text, rather than having to hover over each individual category and wait for the list to show up.

Not sure I'm explaining this well, but I got the idea from the huge country list you get when you buy something online.

Anywhay, just an idea.

P.

PS - If said button already exists, then make it bigger and more prominant.... or I'll get my eyes fixed asap...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Maybe you could put something in the welcoming email explaining what the help desk, something like the usual reply you give the people that end up asking random q's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

On the Beta skin there's a search bar where you search for individual fora

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Having that forum finder from the beta skin search bar on the front page is a great suggestion.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

On a related note, are there plans for that Beta skin to go un-beta?

And along the same lines, if the predictive text would work in the post title field it might help newbies find the same question or a forum where similar has been asked. I've seen it on other vBulletin forums where matching thread titles are suggested as you type and a list of all near matches displayed between the thread title field and the button to confirm it.

I can't remember exactly where I saw it, but there's a simplified version of same on the ubuntuforums website:

Advertisement