Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For the love of God...this is driving me MENTAL!

Options
  • 17-02-2010 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭

I can constantly feel an icey breeze gushing down from the sides and bottom of the curtains (which is a problem as both my desk and bed are beside it and have no option to move them). I originally thought it was coming in from where the window was opening (it was hung crooked), but the window(s) have been rehung and the problem is no better.

I think the problem now is convection off the window itself, but I've never seen anything like it in any house I've ever lived in. Its so bad, it feels like the window itself is actually open 24/7.

If you hang something by the window, something flimsy enough, you can see it moving "gently" away from the window, so I presume thats the same breeze I'm feeling. Even from across the room you can notice its moving significantly enough.

Now I know convection is normal, but why the hell is this so bad? And for the love of God, how I do stop it? Its like having a cold fan turned on all day every day. Its driving me clinically insane. I've never seen anything like it. They are double glazed timber windows btw...I also notice that at night, you get a one inch strip of condensation on the bottom all 4 panes at night

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have exactly the same problem in a living area that has a large area of double glazed window. All the same symptoms and now the heavy curtains that I put up have become totally black with mildew on the linings.
    I am thinking of trying secondary double glazing with perspex sheets and one of these kits (or similar) http://www.easyfixsecondaryglazingkit.co.uk/ There is a magnetic version too. Has anyone tried this solution to the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I've tried sealing all around the window frame, on the inside, as well as the all around the actual panes of glass themselves, thats how I came to the conclusion it was convection. Its so strong that its a real nightmare. Its like living with a fan pointed towards you at all times even when its freezing....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Would it be worth doing a trial job with a roll of clingfilm and some sellotape? Seal the clingfilm to the window frame and overlap the strips so they seal themselves, but don't put the clingfilm actually on the window glass. If it reduces the convection effect it might be worth trying the secondary double glazing.
    I would try it myself but the windows are too big and it would be too difficult to get tension on the clingfilm.

I tried clingfilm on the glass itself (looked ridiculous), but it didn't actually help at all. I thought if I just broke the contact of the cold air and the glass it would stop the effect... doesn't work like that, apparently..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Long shot but apart from replacing the window itself you don't have a lot of choice.
    Get a piece of Perspex cut to the size of the window so the extra pane will sit against the frame of the existing window.
    Stick it in place with double sided foam tape.
    You won't be able to open the window but it will help stop the draft.
    Detach it when the weather get warmer.(if ever);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

You've obviously got a ghost who likes to hang out just in front of your window.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

A lot of the newer houses have vents at the tops of the windows that can be opened and closed. You notice if you close them the windows fog up. Some windows are just crap though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Get a lighter and light it try everywhere with it including the skirting board if there is a breeze the flame will move and bobs your uncle also try under the window board

kmick wrote: »
    A lot of the newer houses have vents at the tops of the windows that can be opened and closed. You notice if you close them the windows fog up. Some windows are just crap though.

I have closed the vent as I thought that was where the breeze was coming from. I'm not too bothered if it fogs up once the draft is stopped but the vent seems totally unrelated to the draft... :(
    Carpenter wrote: »
    Get a lighter and light it try everywhere with it including the skirting board if there is a breeze the flame will move and bobs your uncle also try under the window board

I did that originally when I thought it was leaking in around the window. Even with draft excluders fitted onto the window and duct tape around where it opens, I still get the draft. The problem is it flickers everywhere...

Thats why I think its off the glass itself at large... not your traditional cause for such a "heavy" draft I guess.

That perspex idea is a good one though. I did think of it before, but I guess I just forgot about it again.... i must try it. Can't do any harm! Anything that works at this stage (replacing the window isn't an option :( )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

I got secondary glazing in my house mainly as a method of soundproofing.
    Im living in North Dublin in an area which is sometimes a flight path and Ive had some problems with barking dogs etc.
    Anyway Ive also noticed that the secondary windows cut out all drafts and my house has been warmer.
    There are two main companies selling these in Ireland and this one is by far the cheapest. http://www.windowsealflyscreens.com/secondaryglazing.htm

• Advertisement
Advertisement