Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

In your landscape photos

• 17-02-2010 3:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭

Do photographers edit the clouds and the colour of the sky?

Because in so many landsacape (on here and other places) all the photos have big rolling clods that look awesome or perfect gradients in the sky.

I'm just curious as to how you do it? (If you do)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭grrrrrrrrrr

Jako8 wrote: »
    Do photographers edit the clouds and the colour of the sky?

Because in so many landsacape (on here and other places) all the photos have big rolling clods that look awesome or perfect gradients in the sky.

I'm just curious as to how you do it? (If you do)

I like clouds, they are like fluffy marshmallows. mmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I wouldn't edit clouds (by putting in fake clouds), but if your capturing a bright sky over a dark landscape the range of light might be too much for the camera to capture well. The sky will get washed out or the land will look too dark.

You can do is use a graduated filter on the camera that darkens the top of the frame and gives you more even exposure over the frame.

If your shooting RAW you will have slightly more dynamic range and may be able to recover a washed out sky or dark landscape in postprocessing/photoshop.

Or you could take two or more photos, one with the sky exposed correctly, one with the land exposed correctly and merge the two shots to get one shot with correctly exposed sky and land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Another good filter that is used is the Polarizing Filter, it works best at a 45 degree angle (from your subject to the sun), and it brings-out or enhanses the clouds and sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

I don't do much to my skies except for contrast and a bit of brightening or darkening.

On a more technical note ... is there anything fluffier than a cloud?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

ND grad filters or polarising filters work brilliantly on the sky. Well worth investing in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Chance light, polarizing filters, infrared filters, graduated filters, great backdrop...it really can happen in-camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

On a more technical note ... is there anything fluffier than a cloud?

fluff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

... is there anything fluffier than a cloud?
    Jedward !! (FTW) :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

As stated above, a Polarising Filter can make a lot of difference to the look of a sky.

Correct exposure throughout the frame is also vital. Often in a Landscape the Dynamic Range is quite high with the sky being much brighter than the land. This is often beyond the range in Film & RAW Files. You can correct this by use of Neutral Density Graduated Filters or by using multiple exposures with various shutter speeds & then combining the images.

If the sky is not there on the day you can drop in a sky from another shot. This can be tricky to get it to match & some people will not consider it a proper approach & prefer the discipline of only taking what was there on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Gradiated filters and Polarising filters for me...

I also have a bit of a cheat in that I have a gradiated filter which is a sky blue rather than a grey so I can make the sky bluer with it whilst leaving the landscape as is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement