Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus ntl scam number?

• 17-02-2010 8:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

Hi

Sorry to reopen this thread but i got a call yesterday from 0818272827 claiming to be chorus ntl but i cannot find this number on their website. It only occurred to me that this might be a scam. Can anyone verify this?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    Hi

Sorry to reopen this thread but i got a call yesterday from 0818272827 claiming to be chorus ntl but i cannot find this number on their website. It only occurred to me that this might be a scam. Can anyone verify this?

Number appears to belong to this crowd accordingly to google and their website

Zevas Communications Ltd
    Zefone House
    Ballinrea
    Carrigaline
    Cork
    Co. Cork.

Judging from google search results they appear to operate outbound sales call service so they could be employed by UPC to outbound people to sign people up to UPC's services....thats pretty normal if it is the case.

I'd imagine you could contact UPC to verify if this is 100% the case...though it certainly looks like it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

Cabaal wrote: »
    Number appears to belong to this crowd accordingly to google and their website

Zevas Communications Ltd
    Zefone House
    Ballinrea
    Carrigaline
    Cork
    Co. Cork.

Judging from google search results they appear to operate outbound sales call service so they could be employed by UPC to outbound people to sign people up to UPC's services....thats pretty normal if it is the case.

I'd imagine you could contact UPC to verify if this is 100% the case...though it certainly looks like it is.

Yeh i dont really know if this place who rang me are legit-could be a vishing scam http://www.cnet.com/8301-13554_1-9899849-33.html

When it comes down to it if i order from the real chorus ntl website-i should be relatively safe yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Yeh i dont really know if this place who rang me are legit-could be a vishing scam http://www.cnet.com/8301-13554_1-9899849-33.html

When it comes down to it if i order from the real chorus ntl website-i should be relatively safe yes?

Yes, if you phone UPC or sign up on the website you'll be fine. As long as you call a number on their site there'll be no issue. I too would be skeptical of giving details over the phone to a random caller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭granturismo

I had similar calls from a Cork based company. I contacted NTL and was told they were a call centre contracted by NTL to tele sales to NTL customers.

Here's what happened to me;

2-3 calls per week for 3 weeks, even if you tell the first caller your not interested. Our number is registered with the regulator as delisted for cold calls and I never signed up with NTL to receive marketing calls.

NTL and their contractor will tell you that it takes 4 weeks to take your number off their system.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Whats dodgy?
    Job listings for a call centre, its the nature of the beast

Its pretty normal for companys to contract out outbound sales calls to other companys rather then doing it in house, its cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Hi

They have been doing sales for UPC for years i worked for them for 3 years in a different side of the biz they are totally safe to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

2-3 calls per week for 3 weeks, even if you tell the first caller your not interested. Our number is registered with the regulator as delisted for cold calls and I never signed up with NTL to receive marketing calls.

You can report this to the Data Protection Commissioner as a breech of the NDD rules.
    http://www.dataprotection.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=908
    They should not be cold calling you if you've opted out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

You can also e-mail customer.support@upc.ie quote your account number and ask them to stop making unsolicited marketing calls or you'll report them to the Data Commissioner. I have opted out of the NDD but Chorus NTL have my phone and mobile number on file as I am a customer, they keep ringing me trying to get me to sign up to Broadband.

I have mailed them today and they say that they will remove me from their list for Marketing Literature, even though I specified it was my phone numbers I wanted removed, so I sent a second mail to this effect, it will take 40 days for it to filter through, must be some computer system!!

Advertisement