Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 weeks to MMA League Galway

Options
  • 17-02-2010 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭

Last couple of days left to register for the MMA League kick off on the 6th of March.

The usual checklist applies
    • Register online before Friday the 5th of March 3pm. No entries accepted on the day or after this deadline
    • Check you are insured under your club's insurance to compete in the League. Most club policies cover this automatically, but make certain.
    • If you are a Teen - as well as registering online bring the permission slip, signed by your parents, with you on the day. You have to do this for EVERY event, so just becuase I may have seen it at a previous event you still need to bring it.
    • Bring extra cash to take advantage of the Fightlord stand at the event. Fightlord always has the best stuff and at the League you can see it as you buy - you can't get better than that!
    • Choose a club photographer and get him to pass the photos he takes to me as he leaves, that way the site can host photos from every club at the league

Last time I checked we had 12 places left, so don't waste time registering, get on and do it right away.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

What would u find is the average amount of time people train MMA before going to the league?

(with no previous MA)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

I don't have data on that, though its probably a metric worth gathering, I will update the entry with that from round two on.

Speaking for my own gym, we have a three month beginners course, fighters usually spend 3-6 months at intermediate level before fighting in the League.
    So total training time is between 6 and 9 months usually, different gyms will have different numbers I am sure. We don't generally worry about guys fighting in the League, what with it being safe, fun and easy and all that :)
    As long as a fighters has competent escapes, good guillotine defence and basic stand-up to avoid the three least desirable outcomes in the league
    i.e. being guillotined early
    being kicked in the leg a lot (easy to avoid if you know basic stand up)
    being sat on for 5 minutes (good escapes stops this one)

If a fighter has those three in good order and has been training less than 6 months I would let him enter.

This post is entirely as the Point Blank Actual however, not representative of recommendations for or by the MMA League.

Yeah its good for people to know in general.

We have a good squad coming with around 6 months experience.

The only thing I worry about is getting someone who is a black belt in judo who classifies themself as a rookie.

The guys are eager to get down and as you say its a safe way to try your skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

Yeah its good for people to know in general.

We have a good squad coming with around 6 months experience.

The only thing I worry about is getting someone who is a black belt in judo who classifies themself as a rookie.

The guys are eager to get down and as you say its a safe way to try your skills.

If there is someone in the League who is a judoka with more than three years experience, as a black belt would, and he enters as a rookie then he must not have told me this and is breaking the rules -
    Exemptions to the Rookie Clause

If a competitor has been training in MMA for 2 years or more he/she is NOT eligible for entering as a rookie, even if he satisfies the normal Rookie criteria.
    If a competitor has been training in a single MMA discipline for 3 years or more he\she is similarily excluded from entering as a Rookie. Disciplines that would count towards this rule are Boxing, Thai Boxing, Full Contact Kick Boxing, Wrestling (Freestyle, Greco etc), or Jiu Jitsu.

Though Judo is not mentioned explicitly in the about page, when this has come up at events I always go with the view that Judo should be classed as a component style of MMA. Now that you have brought it up I will add it to the About page explicitly.
    It has never been an issue though, any judoka I know are only too eager to compete at the higher level.

I did not know all that.

That's pretty fair. To be honest I can't really say I have seen much evidence of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭illeagles_mcc

got my entry in last week there. lookin forward to it!:D

Advertisement