Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another 'head shop' damaged by fire

Options
  • 17-02-2010 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

A building housing a "head shop" in Dublin has been damaged by fire. The fire broke out shortly before 9.30pm last night at the premises on North Frederick Street in Dublin city centre.

The Happy Hippie "head shop" was damaged in the incident but there are not reports of any injuries. Last Friday a fire gutted a second "head shop" on Capel Street.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0217/breaking4.html

Pissed off street dealers seem to be the main suspects?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Saw that this morning..its more than damaged..the place is pretty much gutted..would've been a few freebies knocking around before the cops secured the place i reckon!

I dont think its dealers..i think there's a sort of "concerned parents against legal drugs/down with this sort of thing" group.
    Dealers of proper drugs have nothing to fear from the rubbish those shops sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Said on the radio this morning, that the fire was started with petrol on the shop floor, so either the lad working there happened to park his leaking car in the shop or arson.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Looks like the vigilantes have struck again

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Bit of a Hot Fuzz neighborhood watch thing going on have we?

"First we will torch the head shop and then go over to Mrs O'Reillys for tea and corrie"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Insurance job on the stock in anticipation of close downs perhaps?

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote: »

Its certainly possible but to use petrol like that is a bit disingenous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Mona Lott

You'd wanna be off your head to go into that business these days :P

I bought a few heads before they burnt down,

shrunken-heads-2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

It'll be interesting to watch this unfold. First one is burned to the ground and 500k is found sitting there, now this one only days later is burned down.

Stupid behaviour regardless of whoever did it and will only push recreational drug users towards illegal substances, which is obviously beneficial to dealers so I wouldn't be surprised to see a connection with one/many turn up in the coming weeks.

I suppose it is a bit of a preview of what might come should some substances be legalised or decriminalised here. Quite worrying to see progress being stood in the way of so violently.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

Degsy wrote: »
    Saw that this morning..its more than damaged..the place is pretty much gutted..would've been a few freebies knocking around before the cops secured the place i reckon!

I dont think its dealers..i think there's a sort of "concerned parents against legal drugs/down with this sort of thing" group.

I reckon the street dealers have a LOT to be concerned about, these guys can get a hit for 8 hours off of the stuff from these shops sell

http://www.dublinpeople.com/content/view/2429/57/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭zero86r

That's the first thing i thought of when i heard about the first fire and now this? It stinks

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭robz18

I wonder which one is going to be next :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

There was a thread in P.I. recently about an owner of a city centre business being worried. Everyone in the thread assumed it was a head shop. I wonder if it was the guy who posted the thread

I reckon the street dealers have a LOT to be concerned about, these guys can get a hit for 8 hours off of the stuff from these shops sell

http://www.dublinpeople.com/content/view/2429/57/

Ever take any of that stuff??
    A hangover that lasts for days,paranoia and a severe case of micky-shrivelling..i suppose thats the same as cocaine really:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

Ever take any of that stuff??
    A hangover that lasts for days,paranoia and a severe case of micky-shrivelling..i suppose thats the same as cocaine really:o

I talked to someone yesterday who had first-hand experience of head-shop wares. He told tales for frothing at the mouth and trying to climb into cupboards. Seriously, it sounded quite nuts - but then a lot of the standard drug behaviour sounds pretty nuts too.

Thank god there is no drug in beer, or I would have stopped nine cans ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

1968 wrote: »
    Pissed off street dealers seem to be the main suspects?

I would have to agree, they're the ones losing the most from the Head Shops, and it seems especially likely considering the two areas the shops were toched in.

Dealers have a huge about to fear from legal mephedrone. It's far more potent, inexpensive, and in some ways safer than the shit dealers are trying to pawn off as cocaine, which in most cases is mostly BZP and caffeine, BZP being the 'legal' drug that was criminalised only a few months ago.

I doubt two shops would burn themselves down in a week for insurance, especially if one had 500k of cash lying in the back.

IMHO it's between angry dealers, or crazy (possibly religious) radicals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Head shop owners have said that it is drug dealers who have threatened their businesses. Can't remember which paper it was in last week

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭lee_

This whole mess reminds me of that one word.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Head shop owners have said that it is drug dealers who have threatened their businesses. Can't remember which paper it was in last week

I don't understand this. Head shops have been operating for years,why all of a sudden are they a major threat to drug dealers?

I reckon its an insurance job myself.

especially if one had 500k of cash lying in the back.

Apologies.

I missed that part in the article.
    panda100 wrote: »
    I don't understand this. Head shops have been operating for years,why all of a sudden are they a major threat to drug dealers?

The media have been really running with the campaign against them. Probably makes it seem like an epidemic and consequently overstates the turnover. I assume that the late opening of the shops (is this a new thing?) too. Also people may be looking for cheaper substances with unemployment and wage cuts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

lee_ wrote: »
    This whole mess reminds me of that one word.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Also people may be looking for cheaper substances with unemployment and wage cuts.

This to me is the crux of the matter. When the Celtic Tiger was roaring away the likes of Cocaine seemed almost as available as cigarettes. I have often walked in on lads snorting the stuff,and not in night clubs in town but in pubs in the 'burbs. It was relatively cheap and freely available. Now that the things aren't so rosy these guys are going after hits that are cheaper which in turn deprives the dealers of business. Imo it's an orchestrated campaign against these businesses by various dealers and their gangland backers.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭FensterDJ

panda100 wrote: »

I reckon its an insurance job myself.

I suppose it's the "quality" of the product they are selling, the highes from the legal drugs are now better than the illegal ones, the quality of escasty in Ireland and Europe in general has been terrible for the last two years, particularly since BZP was banned and all the surplus stock entered the blackmarket.

the "cocaine" in Ireland is so cut and poor quality, I'm amazed people ever took it, never mind paid 100 quid for a wrap of it.

So with Mephadrene oand the other products ffering a cheaper, consistent "quality" high (you can debate side effects til the cows come home - people are enjoying it) at a reasonable price in a convienent location, you can see why it's popular

A year ago there was probably5/6 headshops, mostly in the city centre, now there are probably about 30, including suburbs, and also in every major town in the country.

So the idea of Head shops have been around for years, but the reality they've exploded in the last 6 months or so

FensterDJ wrote: »
    I suppose it's the "quality" of the product they are selling, the highes from the legal drugs are now better than the illegal ones, the quality of escasty in Ireland and Europe in general has been terrible for the last two years, particularly since BZP was banned and all the surplus stock entered the blackmarket.

the "cocaine" in Ireland is so cut and poor quality, I'm amazed people ever took it, never mind paid 100 quid for a wrap of it.

So with Mephadrene oand the other products ffering a cheaper, consistent "quality" high (you can debate side effects til the cows come home - people are enjoying it) at a reasonable price in a convienent location, you can see why it's popular

A year ago there was probably5/6 headshops, mostly in the city centre, now there are probably about 30, including suburbs, and also in every major town in the country.

So the idea of Head shops have been around for years, but the reality they've exploded in the last 6 months or so

QFT, great post. Add in the recent media explosion of legal highs recently, with it being on Prime Time recently, and in the papers every other day. They kind of stayed under the popular radar for a while, but recently they've been pushed into the limelight, which would trigger this kind of reaction from paramilitary groups.

Thinking about it now, I don't see why dealers would burn them down, if they're set to be banned within 3 months anyway...Maybe the dealers are using arson as a catalyst to get them banned quicker, so the headshop customers will go back to cocaine, which they will now cut with mephedrone.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭FensterDJ

I can see the reason for the public outcry though, they are powerful drugs, esp to younger unaccustomed users, and theirs no regulations,

A head shop owner might turn away under 18s on a busy day, but on a slow tuesday, they might be happy of the business from a 15/16 year old, it's only their own code that says it's over 18s only, there is no legal requirement

So Parents around the country are crapping themselves, and I can see their point.

How will a ban be brought into place on headshops?

the government can ban a particular drug, BZP or Meph or whatever, But all that needs to done is tweak the formula and you have another legal, or perhaps better to say not illegal subsitute.

The required legislation to bring in a bill that will ban the various types of business that Headshops carry out would take 3 years or more, not 3 months.

when the minister was interviewed on Prime time recently, he didn't seen to have an strategy in place to deal with the sitiuation

FFS..legalise headshops that sell REAL drugs..the government can tax the bejaysus out of it,assure the quality and purity and take business away from organised criminals.

But since then, they've declared that they're putting legislation into place to have them banned within 3 months, must be some sort of blanket ban.

As for the public outcry, a friend of mine made this point in a letter to the Irish Times: At least 2 lives have been ruined, probably more, by people burning down their legitimate, legal businesses, which is a lot more ruined lives than the consumption of these drugs have caused (in Ireland).

http://www.cactus-candy.co.uk/epages/es132825.sf/en_GB/?ViewAction=View&ObjectID=8422413

5 grams for 50 quid??
    If its even half as potent as street coke at that price dealers may well be the ones causing the fires.

at that price dealers may well be the ones causing the fires.

Somebody told me that the fire in Parnell Street was caused by two people who entered in view of the staff and start dousing the place in petrol.

If this is true, it certainly sounds more like strong-arms/dealers rather than an anti-drug crowd?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

I don't think the type of people who are concerned about the head shops (ie: parents, government etc.) are the type of people to burn down places.

I can't see someone who's the type of person who would burn down a shop to also be the concerned citizen.

I reckon it was the drug dealers

Advertisement