Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"World at War" series complete for €20.99

• 17-02-2010 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Came across this in the bargain alert forum,

Anyone brought up in the 70ies would remember this, I never missed an episode of it at the time.

http://www.sendit.com/dvd/the-world-at-war-11-dvd-box-set/79332.html

The World at War was first broadcast 31st October 1973, when memories of the Second World War were still clear in people's minds and the war's veterans numerous. This unique television series was able to assemble these recollections, together with archive footage into one of the most powerful and successful historical documentaries ever seen. The voices of those that fought, worked or watched during the Second World War gave each episode a vivid sense of what it was like to be there and was the hallmark of the series.

Over 30 years on, the series is still widely acknowledged to be the definitive history of the Second World War - the best of its kind.

This 35 1/2 hour 11 disc box set contains;
    - Original 26 Episodes.
    - 8 Special Presentations.
    - 3 hour 30th Anniversary Disc containing previously unseen interviews and retrospective interviews with the original production team.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭BullyBeef

Yes it was a good program & viewed by many in its day, heres another i recall seeing most weeks for a time.

All Our Yesterdays was a television programme, produced by Granada Television, which ran weekly from 1960 to 1973 and from 1987 to 1989. The format was snippets of newsreel shown in cinemas 25 years ago that week. The final series concentrated on 1939
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Our_Yesterdays_(TV_series)

Cleverly edited montage footage taken from German propaganda films, including Leni Riefenstahl's Triumph Des Willens, which shows Hitler and his marching Soldiers of the Reich, synchronised to the tune of 'The Lambeth Walk'.
    *The provenance of this film is unclear, although this version appears to have been put out by Movietone News.
    http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/theartofwar/films/hitler_command.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Girlfriend got it for me one christmas, I'd definetely reccomend it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

We ahd a thread about this before Christmas, I bought it for meself as a Present, Feckin brilliant it is.

Heres the Thread from before.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055759660

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

I always LOVED the world at war, (though not in the literal sense :D)
    I have most of the episodes on video tape from the TV over the years, but i think I'll be investing in this DVD offer :)

Laurence Olivier's narration made it in my opinion, he really had excellent delivery..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

It's almost flawless.

The one thing that always grates with me is the dodgy sound effects of bombs, bullets, aero engines, etc. grafted onto archive film footage which was obviously originally silent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I think the more cheesy the ones you see on discovery the more you realise that this one was in fact pretty good for most aspects. I reckon Olivier and Powell had the field of ww2 documentary narration sewed up ! That seems good value for that price too.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

marcsignal wrote: »
    I always LOVED the world at war, (though not in the literal sense :D)
    I have most of the episodes on video tape from the TV over the years, but i think I'll be investing in this DVD offer :)

Laurence Olivier's narration made it in my opinion, he really had excellent delivery..

Good call Marc, Olivier's narration was superb, indeed as are most of the interviews with the Veterans and personalities of the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I watched this over the Weekend again, what I had forgotten about this series because of the saturation of 'sanitised' versions on Daytime Tv is how Real the footage is, they pull no punches, and show it for what it was, Images that stick in my mind are the Frozen soldiers in Finland and the Piles of bodies.

another interestin one is the 6th army, they have a bit where it leads off with their march through Paris and then switches to the same Soldiers being marched out of Stalingrad, rater poigniant.

Also the interviews with Donnitz and Speer, Amazing to hear these men discuss their roles, Donnitz particularly.

Advertisement