Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golden Retriever / Lab cross breed

Options
  • 17-02-2010 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

I'm not too well informed on the specifics of breeding. But I've always wondered if there is a particular name for a mix of the two? As I love both GRs and Labs, they are fantastic family dogs so a combo of both should be a super dog?? Without the drawbacks of purebreds.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Mongrel?:rolleyes:
    There wouldnt be a name as its a cross breed, you can make up a name if you like, so many people cross breeds of dogs these days and give it a cute name to make it more appealing for potential buyers to make a quick buck.

They are both fantastic dogs so no need to intentially cross them to make up a so called designer breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

"Without the drawbacks of purebreds."

That is simply not true, it could have all the health problems of both breeds, or any combination, and in the case of Labs and GR's as some illnesses are common to both maybe twice the chance of getting some.

I know someone spent €500 on a particular cross with a cute name, only to spend over €3000 in 18months and then have to put the dog to sleep due to how ill it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It would be a mongrel or a cross-breed. Names like Labra-doodle are just made up .

As for the health problems - mymo is perfectly correct.

I have to say I always had purebred dogs and never had health problems with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Some people call them Golden Labradors. (Purebred Yellow Labradors are Yellow Labradors - never Golden Labradors)

As far as not having the drawbacks of purebreds - this isn't true. Both breeds are prone to hip dysplayia in particular. A cross of the two breeds would also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

They are a Retriever, since both parents are.
    I second the comments that "Without the drawbacks of purebreds." is not true.

• Advertisement

Magenta wrote: »
    They are a Retriever, since both parents are.

This list below is only of some breeds classed as Retrievers, so a cross of any of these would be called a retriever? I think not. They would just be refered to as a cross. A Labrador Golden retriever Cross - what's wrong with that?

American Water Spaniel
    Barbet
    Boykin Spaniel
    Chesapeake Bay Retriever
    Curly-Coated Retriever
    Flat-Coated Retriever
    German Water Spaniel
    Golden Retriever
    Irish Water Spaniel
    Labrador Retriever
    Murray River Curly Coated retriever
    Newfoundland
    Nova Scotia Duck-Tolling Retriever
    Poodle
    Portuguese Water Dog
    Spanish Water Dog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

This list below is only of some breeds classed as Retrievers, so a cross of any of these would be called a retriever? I think not. They would just be refered to as a cross. A Labrador Golden retriever Cross - what's wrong with that?

American Water Spaniel
    Barbet
    Boykin Spaniel
    Chesapeake Bay Retriever
    Curly-Coated Retriever
    Flat-Coated Retriever
    German Water Spaniel
    Golden Retriever
    Irish Water Spaniel
    Labrador Retriever
    Murray River Curly Coated retriever
    Newfoundland
    Nova Scotia Duck-Tolling Retriever
    Poodle
    Portuguese Water Dog
    Spanish Water Dog

Calm yourself down. How many "terriers" and "collies" are there in the world?

Magenta wrote: »
    Calm yourself down. How many "terriers" and "collies" are there in the world?

My point exactly! What do you call a Cairn Terrier/Jack Russell cross? A Terrier? No. It's a Cairn Terrier/Jack Russel cross.

I'm perfectly calm, by the way. This is simple dross to me. Nothing in this discussion to raise my blood pressure. It's quite a mundane topic really.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Aaaannd we'll go back on topic please :)

OP as others have said, you could make up a name yourself, or there may be 'official' names. Yes you may get the best of both dogs, or you could get the worst of both dogs, or you could get a regular dog.
    Mixed breed does not always equal better health than purebreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I would call it a retriever cross. Or if you wanna be more specific, just a golden retriever / labrador retriever cross. :) It might be nice though, I say if you look long enough you'll find one. Alot of guide dogs are lab/GR crosses right?

• Advertisement
Advertisement