Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sun Certified Java Programmer (SCJP) Exam

Options
  • 17-02-2010 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi,

Does any one know where you can do this exam in Ireland without doing a course?
    I'm just looking for some where that provides the test center only.

Thanks,
    B.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

http://www.ecollege.ie/site/pages/testCentres.html
    Any of the prometric ones should do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mulphisto

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 wollocks

Did this through FAS before and they paid for it, not sure if they're still doing that?

I know that they offer an online course for it at ecollege, which is free if you're unemployed and registered with FAS.
    It is quite possible that they will pay for the exam also since they will pay for some courses if you can make a good case for it being benefitial for you as a jobseeker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

Yeah, FAS still do this.

I'm out of work and thinking of doing it.

Has anyone out there done it? Did some Programming intro's in Java and some OO modules in Java and was wondering whats involved?

Also, how do industry rate this qualification and would it enhance employment opportunities?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭big_show

This is your man for helping you pass. Currently reading it. Once you have an introduction to Java its fine to keep up with.

As far as getting a job, I'm sure it will definitely help in getting an entry level job with any software company.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ronanos

When you finish the course on ecollege.ie do you have to sit an exam or is it an online exam or is it just a case of doing the exam at the end of each of the 11 modules?

You have to sit an exam in a prometric centre, also FYI the ecollege course content is out of date so you're better off getting the book*, but make sure its SCJP Sun Certified Programmer for Java 6 Exam 310-065 , not 5, as again that suffers from being out of date. They added some stuff and removed some other stuff between version 5 and 6.

*the ecollege stuff obviously can't hurt as an additional source, just make sure you use the book to tell you what topics you actually need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Reku wrote: »
    You have to sit an exam in a prometric centre, also FYI the ecollege course content is out of date so you're better off getting the book*, but make sure its SCJP Sun Certified Programmer for Java 6 Exam 310-065 , not 5, as again that suffers from being out of date. They added some stuff and removed some other stuff between version 5 and 6.

*the ecollege stuff obviously can't hurt as an additional source, just make sure you use the book to tell you what topics you actually need to know.

Just started this through FAS. I didn't realsie you could do the SCJP exam at the end. How is this organised ? Do you have to book yourself in with FAS ?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 CMARTY10

Reku wrote: »
    http://www.ecollege.ie/site/pages/testCentres.html
    Any of the prometric ones should do it.

Thanks a million

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

I know this is a "how long is a piece of string" type question, but if one were to start studying for this, how long would it take one to complete the study and be ready for the exam?

I'm checking this for a colleague with 2 years experience working in a Java environment.

Any observations would be greatly welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 cmaclo

since they have 2 years experience already it should take no more than a few weeks part-time study...say 6-8 weeks while working full time
    ...sorry to be vague but its a very open question

Advertisement