Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coarse fish in a tank

Options
  • 17-02-2010 11:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hi there,
    I have just been given a 4 foot fish tank and equipment and want to create my own little coarse fish environment. Any info or advice about what fish can be kept and what conditions. Ideally I would like to buy small fish rather than catch them, does anybody have any ideas as to where I can purchase fish like Perch, Roach, rudd, small carp etc... in the Dublin area. And I would love to keep a small pike if this is possible.Has anybody tried this?
    This is something that I have wanted to do from a very young age, but I want to do it properly with as little casualty's as possible.
    Thaks in advance.

Blue

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

If you keep a small Pike, he will get big on the other fish

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

id say stick to some coi carp if you can get your hands on a few

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

A friend of mine had some small comon and mirror carp, two perch and a few roach, they all did well apart from the roach. fed them maggots, chopped worms and frozen bloodworm with normal flakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

blue1980 wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I have just been given a 4 foot fish tank and equipment and want to create my own little coarse fish environment. Any info or advice about what fish can be kept and what conditions. Ideally I would like to buy small fish rather than catch them, does anybody have any ideas as to where I can purchase fish like Perch, Roach, rudd, small carp etc... in the Dublin area. And I would love to keep a small pike if this is possible.Has anybody tried this?
    This is something that I have wanted to do from a very young age, but I want to do it properly with as little casualty's as possible.
    Thaks in advance.

Blue

Yeh its well possible - only problem you might have is the water clouding as they'll need worms or maggots for diet - they wont survive to well on the flake like foods & bread is a danger for them in a small tank (something to do with the swim bladder & the water pressure :confused:)

Just be wary about where the fish come from as most waters wont allow fish to be taken..........

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Would you consider popping in the food organisms that coarse fish eat; caddis, chironomid, leech, damselfly, olives, shrimp and water louse, snail and mussel.
    With no fish they will thrive and teach you everything there is to know about how coarse fish feed.
    Then you can add the roach/rudd/carp later as pinhead fry, and see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 blue1980

coolwings wrote: »
    Would you consider popping in the food organisms that coarse fish eat; caddis, chironomid, leech, damselfly, olives, shrimp and water louse, snail and mussel.
    With no fish they will thrive and teach you everything there is to know about how coarse fish feed.
    Then you can add the roach/rudd/carp later as pinhead fry, and see what happens.

That sounds like a good idea.

Do you know where i could source the fry??

Fry are easy enough to come by in the summer months. There will be millions of them hiding from predators in the shade of the marginal weedbeds of every lake or pond. A little kiddies net on a bamboo stick is the right equipment!

Don't put any dragonfly into your aquarium. Those things will eat everything they can catch, which in the confines of an aquarium would be every other living creature!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

mmmmm,, having had fish tanks before i cant really see this being a long term success, many of the fish quoted will out-grow a four foot tank, but best of luck all the same!

Water boatmen (corixa) are cool in an aquarium.
    Trouble is they have wings and want to leave occasionally!

Corixae on youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZAW7ynE_Dg

I use a White Chomper to imitate these when fishing. The correct retrieve is obvious from the video clip.

Advertisement