Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rush Co Dublin

Options
  • 17-02-2010 11:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

I am currently living in Rush in an apt complex on the main st,
    for a long time now their has been a homeless man taking things from the bins out the back of the apts, a few other people living in the apts have started to shout out their windows at him to f**k off, i never put much pass on him b4 really and i dont care in the slightist if he goes through the bins once he doesn't make a mess around them, but yesterday i walked into my block (the main entrance is shared with all the apts in the block) to find him sitting on the stairs up to my apt smoking and pulling his hair out with a pliers, i have a 3 year old child and even thought she is never outside my own apt on her own i am still concerned this man obviously needs help, is their anybody i could call for help??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

Well, there's a few questions that need answering.

Is it a private, residents only apartment block?

Is it a non-smoking area?

Have you called the Gardai?

If, in the case of it a private residents block, they usually have a management company. I would alert them if you have one.

And if it is a private residents block, then he is trespassing, and you need to call the Gardai.

Oh, and the Gardai are fine with you ringing and logging incidents. It helps to keep a log with them of all incidents. And contrary to popular belief, I've found the Gardai operating from Balbriggan to be really nice and helpful.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Social services by way of the social workers sound like the way to go here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Little D

Hauk wrote: »
    Well, there's a few questions that need answering.

Is it a private, residents only apartment block?

Is it a non-smoking area?

Have you called the Gardai?

If, in the case of it a private residents block, they usually have a management company. I would alert them if you have one.

And if it is a private residents block, then he is trespassing, and you need to call the Gardai.

Oh, and the Gardai are fine with you ringing and logging incidents. It helps to keep a log with them of all incidents. And contrary to popular belief, I've found the Gardai operating from Balbriggan to be really nice and helpful.

yes its private the main entrance door works on a buzzer system meaning if you dont have a key you must buzz the apt number of the person you are visiting to gain entry, however the door is on a latch which doesn't always close properly, their are no non smoking signs in the hallway of the apt so i'm not really sure i would never smoke in the hall way of any building since the smoking ban makes it illegal to smoke in most places that are in doors, i no the management company have been called a number of times about him going through the bins but he pays no attention and keeps coming back, i haven't called the Gardai yet, i am more concerned with the way he was pulling his hair out with a pliers

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Call the Gardaí and explain that this man appears to be a danger to himself and possibly others.

Poor guy. Fair dues for keeping the head when your neighbours were just giving him abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

He has been homeless for a few years and moves around different parts of the town. He used to sleep in the woods at the opposite end from the apts. His family are nice people who moved to Rush a few years ago from Swords. Sometimes he goes fishing off the rocks down by the harbour. The local Gardai would know him quite well as a lot of people used to complain about him. He just does his own thing. Have not seen him that much lately. Unless he wants social services to help him they cant do a lot.

How did he get into Apartment block? That would bother me if I had a child. What is stopping anyone else from doing it? The Garda station is just across from the apts. I agree with Hauk the Gardai in the area are sound, very helpful.

I called them a while back when I was concerned about a woman who was living in horrible conditions and they were great, better than the social services who called me about 6 weeks later looking for directions to her. By this time The Gardái and and someone else kept an eye on the woman and she has come through fairly well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

The kids call him Martin, but I don't think thats his real name. He hangs around Rush Village. Like LoeB I haven't seen him too much lately. My kids and their mates say he is harmless. Some of the kids feel a bit sorry for him and buy him food and drinks now and then. Nice to see this day and age.

I know what you are thinking, Harmless? well let him be harmless somewhere else. You would be right especially if he in on the stairs to your apartment. If as LeoB said the police know him, maybe you should call them and ask them to have a word with him and put your mind at rest at the same time.

Yeah I have heard kids call him "Hobo Martin". Thats his name ok.

I suppose I would not be so tolerant if he was hanging around my house, in fact I know I would'nt. Agree with Brian Ireland, the kids are ok to him. But then we have a very good bunch of young people in Rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Little D wrote: »
    for a long time now their has been a homeless man taking things from the bins out the back of the apts, a few other people living in the apts have started to shout out their windows at him to f**k off, i never put much pass on him b4 really and i dont care in the slightist if he goes through the bins once he doesn't make a mess around them, but yesterday i walked into my block (the main entrance is shared with all the apts in the block) to find him sitting on the stairs up to my apt smoking and pulling his hair out with a pliers, i have a 3 year old child and even thought she is never outside my own apt on her own i am still concerned this man obviously needs help, is their anybody i could call for help??

Did you offer him a scissors as it might hurt his scalp if he was using a pliers to pull out his hair.

Portrane is just down the road, there maybe a Doctor in there who could help him maybe........

I have never seen him to cause any harm to anyone, i'm more concerned about what he was doing to himself, why dont his family take care of him? if his family are living in rush why is he homeless sleeping in the woods? I Dont have any problem with him but at the same time i dont want my child to see this in her own home, to be honest he didn't do or say anything to me when i walked in but he didn't move from the stairs were he was sitting and i have to say i did feel a little intimidated myself

So, have you called the Gardaí or Social Services & expressed your concerns?
    Maybe try the local public health nurse - he/she may be able to look into this man's welfare.

• Advertisement

For many reasons people end up living on the streets or in hostels. Having spoke to a few in Dublin one day each had slightly different story, drink, voilence, drugs and one was seperated and things just fell apart, which is quite common. My wife worked up Baggot St at St. Martins house and there was a homeless man there. He only spoke to Her and her boss. He was really well spoken and things just fell apart on him.

There is nothing his family can do about it. They are nice people but they cant spend all their time being called to look after him, they have to get on with their lives.

With what you said in the o.p he has broke the law and a quiet word with the local Gardái should be enough.

I've spoken with my friend her husband is in the Gardai, she thinks i will have to report him for tresspassing, i'd rather not get this man into trouble if he is harmless and just someone thats down on his luck, My aunt works as a receptionist in portrane and she said they cant help anyone unless the person asks for their help, i'm worried now that this man could seriously hurt him self or worse, is their any point in trying to contact his family, i no i wouldn't like to think any member of my family was in danger, or am i being a busy body this man has lived this way for years and hasn't seriously injured himself before now, maybe i should just ask the management company for my apt block to have a better door put in place, or am i turning a blind eye when someone needs help, out of sight out of mind??

Little D - There's been plenty of good advice given in this thread. I suggest that you take note of it & call someone & not agonise over it further.

Ok sorry, was just concerned and wanted all the help i could get i wont post anymore,

Thanks
    Little D

Please feel free to post all you like. I didn't mean it like that. :o

Be sure to let us know how you get on & if this man gets any help.

Take care,

HB

I've spoken with my friend her husband is in the Gardai, she thinks i will have to report him for tresspassing, i'd rather not get this man into trouble if he is harmless and just someone thats down on his luck, My aunt works as a receptionist in portrane and she said they cant help anyone unless the person asks for their help, i'm worried now that this man could seriously hurt him self or worse, is their any point in trying to contact his family, i no i wouldn't like to think any member of my family was in danger, or am i being a busy body this man has lived this way for years and hasn't seriously injured himself before now, maybe i should just ask the management company for my apt block to have a better door put in place, or am i turning a blind eye when someone needs help, out of sight out of mind??

Agree with Hill Billy, dont agonise over it the Garda Station is about 50mtr from where you are. Go over and have a chat with them. They are decent and will know him and know what to do.
    You are not being a busy body. Good to see someone with a sense of civic duties
    There is no point contacting his family they know where he is and they see him and talk to him regularly. He has been pulling out his hair with a pliers/snips for a few years. I am sure its not the most comfortable way of cutting hair but thats his way. It might not be your way or my way but he seems content. Your Aunt is right social services, H.S.E wont get involved unless he requests it or he gets arrested for something.

I would suggest you talk to the managment company of your apt block and get something done with the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

your public health nurse can call and see him, even if it is to the apartment.Its very difficult but if people want to live like that there is nothing we can , but at least your keeping an eye on him.cathy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭JRCC

There is absolutely nothing your Public Health Nurse or any other community health care official can do for this chap. The Mental Health Act is a very complicated piece of legislation. At this moment in time there is only one way to get the man help and that is through intervention by the Gardaí.

Assisted Admission to a psychiatric unit is a hugely complex matter nowadays (and rightly so, in some cases). Normally the HSE do not force a person to stay in a psychiatric hospital. The HSE do not even send an ambulance for people with psychiatric difficulties anymore. Transportation to admit someone to a psychiatric hospital is, believe it or not, privatised with the unit based in Naas. That’s a discussion for another day.

I suggest you do the following if you wish to get this poor chap help.

1) Call the Gardaí and inform them there is a man hanging around your apartment block on a regular basis and is rummaging through bins

2) Tell them you believe he has psychological problems as you have monitored his behaviour over a period of time

3) Tell them he may require admission to a psychiatric hospital for treatment to prevent him from harming himself or anyone else

The Gardaí will take this seriously. If they deal with the situation, the process is much less complicated than someone trying to get him to go for help voluntarily. For a start off, I am certain he won’t go voluntarily.

Firstly they (the Gardaí) will collect him and take him to the local Garda station. Then they will ask the Doctor on call to assess the chap in the station. Following that, the Doctor will refer the chap for assessment in the Male Admissions Unit of St Ita’s, Portrane. He can then hopefully be transported by Gardaí to St Ita’s for admission. Once there, he will get the proper care and attention he needs to get well.

It seems like a long winded route I know, but this is the only way to get the chap the proper help he needs. If you are interested in getting the man some help, this is the most effective way you can do it. If you do your bit and the Gardaí do not do theirs, there is nothing more you can do. However, I would be surprised if the Gardaí do not act in this matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭ToyotaCorolla

He is not as harmless as some people seem to think , before xmas he was arrested for trying to burn the church down - he lite newspapers beside a radiator in the church.

From what i heard he is always going into the vestory during mass and drinking the mass wine. Only last week i was in the church and i seen him walk in walk over to a pile of collection baskets and look through each presumably looking for money. My wife seen him stuff an old pair of boxer shorts down a drain on the main st some months back. The chap has lot the plot he needs help his parents should try and get him committed to a proper facililty beofre he harms himself or someone else, i have seen his mother she is "eccentric" to say the least , the apple did not fall to far from the tree!

Closing this thread as it has run its course. If anyone has anything further to add regarding the OP's initial post PM me & I will open up again if relevant.

HB

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement