Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Bookmarking

Options
  • 17-02-2010 11:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

I'm just starting to investigate the various services under the category of 'social bookmarking' . It seems Twitter, Facebook, Digg, Delicious and Stumble Upon are the main services used.

Does anyone have any tips on how to best use these services to promote a new website? AddThis seems to offer the simplest solution to adding the various bookmarking buttons to your webpage.

Any opinions, experiences or tips welcome!?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 parmele

AddThis is a good tool. I would recommend that one over most. I like the developers and support. It's also handy because it provides you with stats (if you register). That way you find out what your users want.

That's the real question: what are your users using? Easy to find out...poll them. If they don't answer, they weren't going to link your stories anyway.

Don't try to please everybody. Don't sacrifice a cluttered UI to appease everyone. For example, if you find out 80% of your users are on Twitter. TweetMeme is a great tool. It's simple and encourages people to retweet your posts with a counter. I would love to use it on my site (I like it visually too), but Facebook is 10x more popular with the people reading my site.

I discovered most of my users are using Facebook - so, I've done away with the other links for the time being. I just have a fbshare button and it keeps it simple.

http://www.jasonparmele.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 trickobrien

I started a social bookmarking site recently,here is the URL http://socialbookmarking.ie I plan on using it to bookmark my blog posts,thought it might come in useful,as regards local backlinks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭pixeldesign

Well i just finished last month my project.It took me 4 months.What i did was, i registered a new domain, and i started to promote it just with social bookmarking for 4 months.Well you cannot call twitter or Facebook a social bookmarking website, because they are not, but these 2 websites are powerfull tools which were added to seo 2.0 .All you need is time.The "secret" behind this is to create accounts, about 4-5 on twitter and 4-5 on facebook, and other websites.Follow people, comment, rate, be active so people can see that you are not there just for spam, and send updates daily.In about 4 months i just pushed my website from 0 to 12000 unique visitors/day with 98% traffic from google.Social bookmarking not only help you to promote your website, but it push you up on serps.

Advertisement