Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary Coghlan; Is it time for her to resign??

Options
  • 17-02-2010 11:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

What are members opinions on this issue? She has been quite useless in doing anything productive recently.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

resign?

I would have her on trial for treason by way of economic terrorism

The wreckless and feckless disregard she has could only be tolerated by a weak people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Guell72

Her resignation is long overdue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

irish politician resign ? what gave you that crazy idea, anyway yes but that goes for the whole gov (although the alternative doesnt fill me with confidence)

she'll prob get relected up here although there are growing murmers of dissatisfaction even in the heartland (mainly because the die hard FF's arent seeing loads of stuff winging its way to the tainiste's patch like it has done everywhere else like the roads are still detroyed round here even the N roads etc etc parish pump.......)

• Registered Users Posts: 56,110 ✭✭✭✭walshb

She has been quite useless, but this government has been quite useless really.
    I usually do not take all that much interest in those in power, and trust them to be somewhat
    capable; but this lot IMO have proven to be the most inept and conniving shower of recent times. Right from Cowen down the ladder.

All I can recall is all the blabbering and hyping of Cowen before he took over. He's been absolute less than great and has nothing to offer, not even an ounce of character or charisma. I never much liked Bertie, but jeez, he had a bit more to him than Cowen.

BTW, Irish politicians don't ****ing resign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

She's very rough around the edges and I don't think that a woman of her character and educational background is suited to the role she is in. I believe that she does give hope to those people who who are thick headed, stupid and un-educated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

No politician ever resigns, and especially the one that comes from family that politics is family business.

As she said:
    I'll be doing my best for the people of the north-west, particularly my own county" (May 2008) - a few days after her appointment as Tánaiste

She should be moved to different role. She has a proven track record she is no good in current rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 theboyqwerty

Can a petition be set up or is it illegal to do such a thing? All she is is a glorified teacher, does not seem to have ANY business accumen. She should go back to teaching kids, probably good at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

It will be a great day for Ireland when Coghlan, O Dea and Cowen are no longer in government.

These three people wouldn't look out of place in an episode of Killinaskully. If ever the word bogger was to be used........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

As far as i know she is not a teacher. She worked as a social worker for a brief period before becoming involved in politics. At the age of 21 years Coughlan was the youngest member of the 25th Dáil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I wonder what dirt she has on her boss that got/ keeps her job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Way beyond time for her to resign or be demoted.

I've no optimism with regards politicians doing the right thing but I'd have thought that Cowen would have realised by now that she's doing more damage than good in his cabinet at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Just wondering if the 300 jobs were for Donegal would she try a little harder to meet O'Leary's demands. Its a disgrace if these jobs do leave the country. Gross incompetence.

no she wouldnt dont worry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 theboyqwerty

Seriouly though, why is there no platform for us to call for her resignation, and infact the resignation of many other ministers?? No one seems to proactively want to oust these idiots but everyone is annoyed by their behaviour. It just doesn't add up that in a democracy no one's voice is heard properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

All she is is a glorified teacher, does not seem to have ANY business accumen. She should go back to teaching kids, probably good at that.

Her background is as a social worker. Which is ironic actually as you think she'd be good at conflict resolution which she's obviously not such is the balls she made of things recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

walshb wrote: »
    I never much lied Bertie

The most Freudian typo I've seen in a while! :D
    walshb wrote: »
    BTW, Irish politicians don't ****ing resign.

Unfortunately not. And unfortunately the die-hards don't "resign them" with their votes, either.

The only people who are "resigned" in this country are those of us who want decent and fair governance; we're "resigned" to the fact that it'll never happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

As far as i know she is not a teacher. She worked as a social worker for a brief period before becoming involved in politics. At the age of 21 years Coughlan was the youngest member of the 25th Dáil.

A very brief period. She graduated from UCD in summer 1986 and was elected to the Dáil in February 1987. The fact is she has never had a real job outside politics, beyond whatever minuscule experience she had in this role.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

Just wondering if the 300 jobs were for Donegal would she try a little harder to meet O'Leary's demands. Its a disgrace if these jobs do leave the country. Gross incompetence.

She looks very rough lately, wonder if she is hitting the bottle.

Jesus no need for that.
    She was a decent Minister for Agriculture, why she was moved I do not know. However her incompetence is shining through in her current portfolio and she is not doing her 'career' any good with this latest stunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

irish politician resign ? what gave you that crazy idea, anyway yes but that goes for the whole gov (although the alternative doesnt fill me with confidence)

she'll prob get relected up here although there are growing murmers of dissatisfaction even in the heartland (mainly because the die hard FF's arent seeing loads of stuff winging its way to the tainiste's patch like it has done everywhere else like the roads are still detroyed round here even the N roads etc etc parish pump.......)

Maybe she was offering to build the new hangar at Donegal Airport ?

She fits the norm for ff and now green ministers.
    Inept, incompetent and arrogant with deep feeling of entitlement.
    nipplenuts wrote: »
    I wonder what dirt she has on her boss that got/ keeps her job.

Drinking buddies I believe.
    Seriouly though, why is there no platform for us to call for her resignation, and infact the resignation of many other ministers?? No one seems to proactively want to oust these idiots but everyone is annoyed by their behaviour. It just doesn't add up that in a democracy no one's voice is heard properly.

FG have tabled no confidence motion in the defamation expert from Limerick, so he is the first target and that one will be next weak before it is debated.
    Then they can probably table one on her.

Of course seeing as the greens are so far up ff's ar** that they are tickling their tonsils I don't hold out any hope that eithe rof these fine examples as ministers are out of office. :rolleyes:
    Kingdom wrote: »
    Jesus no need for that.
    She was a decent Minister for Agriculture, why she was moved I do not know. However her incompetence is shining through in her current portfolio and she is not doing her 'career' any good with this latest stunt.

BS she wasn't any good there either.
    Remember she did nothing to show Irish farmers that the government would veto GATT/WTO deal ala mandolson.
    It took the IFA's threat to clowen on Lisbon referendum for them to get off their ar*** and tell EU they would veto WTO deal as they were being mooted by that little sleveen mandolson.
    Didn't the sugar industry disappear under her stewartship, oh and the company got huge wad of compensation than was supposedly destined for the growers ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Never worked a day in her life and it shows.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Did anyone see her star performance on Hard Talk over the weekend. she speaks of the enforced emigration of our qualified graduates as " ah shure they want to go away and see a bit of the world".. The woman is a dope and should be removed from office. You dont need to know who wrote the theory of Evolution to know that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

she speaks of the enforced emigration of our qualified graduates as " ah shure they want to go away and see a bit of the world"..

That wasn't the worse of it imo, what was particularly stupid was the fact that she basically said that a lot of them will be ok and get a job easily because they're well educated. FFS, she thinks it's ok for our well educated to leave the country in search of employment ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

mary cocklane states: 'we all participated' speaking of the credit bubble

thats a lie.

I am tired of Government and Regulatory failures such as mary cocklane trotting these LIES out.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

jmayo wrote: »
    BS she wasn't any good there either.
    Remember she did nothing to show Irish farmers that the government would veto GATT/WTO deal ala mandolson.
    It took the IFA's threat to clowen on Lisbon referendum for them to get off their ar*** and tell EU they would veto WTO deal as they were being mooted by that little sleveen mandolson.
    Didn't the sugar industry disappear under her stewartship, oh and the company got huge wad of compensation than was supposedly destined for the growers ?

Fair play to you jmayo at least you can back your opinion up with some facts. You seem to know a lot more about her than I would profess to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

There are many grounds to get shot of that eejit, but this manufactured crisis by Takingthemick O' Leary isn't one of them.

What exactly did he expect her to do? AerLingus have a lease on the hanger that I'd imagine they are never going to hand to a competitor (Yes, the lease has an opt out for the DAA, but only under specific conditions and I’m pretty sure that 'because your competitor wants it’ is definitely not one of them). So should the Tánaiste do a Hugo Chaves just for O' Leary and start seizing peoples property? A stable economy is dependent on a respect for property rights and contract law and I don't think we should start acting like a dodgy Marxist dictator just to suit O' Leary's whims. In fact I half get the feeling that O’ Leary doesn’t even want the hanger, he just wants to stir the pot in the same way he did when he bought a ton of Aerlingus shares. His sole motivation is to damage the competition in any way he can and I see no reason to be tipping the cap to a tyrant and a bully. I swear to God, he's like one of those kids in the playground that not only can't grasp the concept of sharing, as soon as one kid picks up a discarded toy he will immediately go over and snatch it out of their hands with a bark of "MINE!"
    The problem with political resignations is that they are like the Oscars. They never go to the performance that disserves one, but sooner or later the Academy will rectify that by awarding a gong for the next film that comes along. The same goes for resignations, often a politician will weather the storm but once weakened their opponents will wait in the long grass for some trivial slip up or total non story like this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,856 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

She has been quite useless in doing anything productive recently.
    Switch recently for ever.
    She is hopelessly out of her depth like most of our ministers.
    A complete dope and looks groggy and tired anytime I see her .
    Another thing ,what is wrong with her hair style its disgracefully bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

conorhal wrote: »
    ... What exactly did he expect her to do? AerLingus have a lease on the hanger that I'd imagine they are never going to hand to a competitor so she should do a Hugo Chaves just for O' Leary and start seizing peoples property? A stable economy is dependent on a respect for property rights and contract law and I don't think we should start acting like a dodgy Marxist dictator just to suit O' Leary's whims. In fact I half get the feeling that O’ Leary doesn’t even want the hanger, he just wants to stir the pot in the same way he did when he bought a ton of Aerlingus shares. His sole motivation is to damage the competition in any way he can and I see no reason to be tipping the cap to a tyrant and a bully.

I think your point about contract law is well made.

But I believe that O'Leary really does want the use of the hangar. It's just that, for his own reasons, he does not want to go about things in the normal way, by negotiating a deal with AL and DAA. I suspect his reasons include pig-headedness, a desire to heap opprobrium on DAA, a desire to inflict commercial damage on AL, and a wish to avoid compensating AL for giving up the hangar.

Have I missed something? I have not noticed Aer Lingus making any public pronouncements about their position. Might it be that they are sitting tight and waiting for a commercial offer from Ryanair?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭bon ami

Coughlan should go but not because of the Whineair bull****. She is hopelessly out of her depth and has demonstrated it on a number of occassions.

However, O Leary is just taking the mick over the latest crap. To expect the governement to sideleien teh DAA in any negotiations is ridiculus and he knows it. O Leary's talk of 300 jobs lost to the economy is rich. O Leary only cares about Ryanairs profits and all of his nationalism is fake. Take the O LEary/Ryanair propoganda with a grain of salt

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i never liked her music anyway. oh wait...

if she resigns, she'll only top the poll in the next election. when a TD screws up royally, that has a funny effect in guaranteeing them their seat next time around, a la michael lowry, beverly cooper flynn. it'll be john o'donoghue the next time round.
    but i agree with conorhal. it doesn't matter who the minister is, michael o'leary would do the exact same. if he wasn't so petulant about it, surely he could negotiate like an adult instead of crying about not getting a hangar that's already occupied.
    the way it's being portrayed, it's like a homeless charity kicking up when they want to open a hostel in someone's house. yeah they'll be doing some good, but there are people living there who have gotten their place through the normal channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

What are members opinions on this issue? She has been quite useless in doing anything productive recently.

I would query your use of the word "recently".

She should have been sacked after the Dell episode where they sent her to the US and she was rebuked for swearing at Michael Dell.

P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Indeed, she didn't earn the nickname Sweary Mary for nothing.

She told a farmer to F*ck off on his own property in a by election in Meath in 2005 and a lifelong FF supporter no less!
    Mary Coughlan, Minister for Agriculture and Food, is being asked to apologise after a row in the farmyard of former Meath football captain, Michael Dunican. The row happened during a canvass for the by-election in that county. Mr Dunican alleges the minister turned the air blue after he questioned her agriculture credentials.
    “She said to me; ‘would you ever f….. off”. She didn’t say it just once but several times. In my own yard. Then another member of her group told me to ‘f……. off’ too” said Mr Dunican, who claims to have been a Fianna Fail supporter all his life.
    Mr Dunican said he wanted an apology from the minister and that she would not be welcome in his yard again.

She swore at Michael Dell, an ordained church minister! Like that's ever going to save Dell jobs in Limerick.

Lisbon debate, remember she couldn't even say how many commissioners there are. Dock Roche had to correct her live on air.

if you want to know more, there's a whole thread on her in politics.ie.

Advertisement