Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My house was not built according to Building Regs - where does that leave me?

Options
  • 17-02-2010 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey folks,

Recently bought and moved into a new home in a large provincial town.

The long and the short is that the required ventilation, as set down in the Building Regs, was not put into a few rooms. This has caused a lot of damp in my house and has caused my housemate to move out as a result of mould. I have been told to leave the heating on as well and have had to get out electricians/builders etc... all paid for from my own pocket.

I can't go back to builders and get them to sort it as they've gone bust and ownership of the few houses/apartments left in the mixed development has reverted to the bank.

What are my options? As I'm out of pocket is it unreasonable of me to to be seeking compensation for my expenses and hassle? Should I also get money back as I was sold a product that was not up to standard and therefore not worth the money I paid for it?

Should I also contact my mortgage provider who should have sent a Structural Engineer around?

Finally, is there such a thing as a building compliance certificate? Where will I see if my house had one of these that was signed off by a professional?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Who provided the guarantee on the house? Was it Homebond or an Engineer's Guarantee?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

do you have a homebond guarantee?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 FHughes

testicle wrote: »
    Who provided the guarantee on the house? Was it Homebond or an Engineer's Guarantee?

Yup, there's a Homebond guarantee on it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

FHughes wrote: »
    Yup, there's a Homebond guarantee on it.

Homebound should cover any necessary amendments to the building to bring it up to normal standards. You need to contact them immediately. Do tell us what the outcome is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 FHughes

smccarrick wrote: »
    Homebound should cover any necessary amendments to the building to bring it up to normal standards. You need to contact them immediately. Do tell us what the outcome is.

...and the fact that I'm out of pocket as a result - do I have any come back on that?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

...and the fact that I'm out of pocket as a result - do I have any come back on that?

In what respect?
    Homebound should cover the cost of the necessary modifications, if its not up to building regulations. That is all it covers- nothing else. Any other costs are a matter between you and the original builder- or the liquidator of the building company.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Did you get the house surveyed before you bought it? Did your solicitor recommend that you get it surveyed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

You would be better to conserve your energies on sorting out problem yourself as you will just end up frustrated if you try and pursue builder or Homebond. Homebond will tell you they only guarantee major structural defects and builder doesn't exist - so theres nowhere to go.
    How bad is the problem? Is it in all occupied bedrooms?

What did the electricians/builders do?

I hope you have not retrofitted the wall vents as this will be a step backwards.

My own builder didn't put in wall vents (other than for extract fan and downstairs wc) and i'm glad. Less heatloss from the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Hey folks,

The long and the short is that the required ventilation, as set down in the Building Regs, was not put into a few rooms...

Just a thought.

I've a hundred year old house with a 400 sq ft extention stuck onto it and there isn't one formal ventilation opening in the whole shebang. And I've no issue with damp/mould. Normal activities involving the occasional opening of doors seems sufficient ventilation for the two of us living here.

Is it possible that your new home is brand new - in which case the thousands of litres of water that are typically used in the construction of houses: water-based concrete blocks/water-based mortar/ water-based concrete floors/ water-based plastering on walls and ceilings ...

.. haven't actually dried out yet?

Presuming so, take it easy on central heating until it does, to allow everything to acclimatise gradually. Dry it out too quickly and you'll suffer shrinkage cracking of plaster (not structurally significant, but unsightly) and shrinkage of woodwork leading to gaps (again, unsightly).

By all means chase up on getting a couple of vents in. It's not a big job and shouldn't cost a whole pile (it simply involves kangoing a hole in the desired wall and screwing a vent cover on either side of the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Who did you buy from?
    I can't go back to builders and get them to sort it as they've gone bust and ownership of the few houses/apartments left in the mixed development has reverted to the bank.
    Are you certain? Is the builder being liquidated or has the process finished already?
    Should I also contact my mortgage provider who should have sent a Structural Engineer around?
    Why would they send a Structural Engineer if its a new property?
    Finally, is there such a thing as a building compliance certificate? Where will I see if my house had one of these that was signed off by a professional?
    Ask your solicitor. Typically the architect signs off on the design and the builder issues a confirmation that the construction is in accordance with the design.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Been

Go after who ever signed the compliance documents that we ised to th esolicitor at the time of the sale.

Advertisement