Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SU elections 2010

• 17-02-2010 11:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭

Given that the elections are almost upon us, we might as well start the rumour mill now

(Can we please keep the SU bashing for another thread- cheers)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Well I may as well tell you all I intend to run again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

ninty9er wrote: »
    Well I may as well tell you all I intend to run again.

Although I think you already told me, I'm gonna ask for which position are you running?

I've heard rumours about others, but I'd rather not comment just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

Being the naieve fresher I am - anyone want to fill me in on how these things work? I didn't realise you could run for a position for more than one term. I've heard of one or two people I know wanting to run for pressie but I don't think it'd be good form for me to comment....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

Any student can run for a position providing they get the necessary number of signatures. You can run for up to two terms in each position

Nominations open Monday week 6 and close Friday week 6.
    Hustings are on Wednesday week 7
    The election is on Thursday week 7 (march 11th i think)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭entropic

From the rumours I hear there should be a lot of competition for each position, a nice change from a few years ago when 3 went un-opposed. I guess the recession has hit properly.
    What I have heard so far minus some people who have asked I keep discrete

President:
    Snowboarding Guy
    Paddy Rocket

Welfare:
    Dererk(guess this one isn’t a rumour :P)

Communications:
    Finn McDuffie
    Eoghan O'Brien
    Thomas McCarty

CSO:
    Lorcan O'Neil

Education:
    Have not heard of anyone here yet

These are most of who I hear but I am no doubt missing a few so fell free to add flames to the fire, and by flames I mean names.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭Robo_Mike

I was told last night by Louise Clohessy that she is intending on running for President.

She also told me that there are up to 5 candidates at the moment for the position, apparantly including the current president Ruan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Rockett_4_Prez

Whats craic'n boards kids and ul heads - and all those people looking for a bit of gossip

I Paddy Rockett am running for President and am looking forward to what can only be described as a mental week of campaigning and madness!!:D

I'm definatly running despite rumors that i had run off with the savage one from desperate housewives!:(

Here's hoping for a great week and best of luck to all candidates for all positions!;)

Cheers
    Paddy Rockett -'
    SHOULD'NT THAT GUY BE IN A SALAD OR SOMETHING?'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Mossin wrote: »
    Although I think you already told me, I'm gonna ask for which position are you running?

I've heard rumours about others, but I'd rather not comment just yet.

I intend to run for DP Welfare again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 AlistairOvereem

bazkennedy wrote: »
    Any student can run for a position providing they get the necessary number of signatures. You can run for up to two terms in each position

Nominations open Monday week 6 and close Friday week 6.
    Hustings are on Wednesday week 7
    The election is on Thursday week 7 (march 11th i think)

are they on in week 7 or week 10? i heard it was originally week 9 but they got moved to week 10?

are they on in week 7 or week 10? i heard it was originally week 9 but they got moved to week 10?

That was something that was supposed to be addressed at the UGM (afaik) but we didn't hit quorum (!!!) so I think it still coincides with charity week...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

The election will be in Week 7. Charity Week is Week 9.

ergonomics wrote: »
    The election will be in Week 7. Charity Week is Week 9.

Whoops, I must be imagining things again! XD

looks like our education officer is running again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

does anyone feel that there should be public debates between candidates? if for no other reason than to assess the intellect of the people we are voting for and not their graphic design skills?

edit; also i knew that boarders guy was building up for a run should be interesting he is very well organised

there is a debate- the hustings
    Takes place on the wednesday before elections, usually in the stables

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

PeakOutput wrote: »
    does anyone feel that there should be public debates between candidates? if for no other reason than to assess the intellect of the people we are voting for and not their graphic design skills?
    There have been public hustings (basically a public debate between candidates) for the past 30-odd years on the Wednesday of election week:) Mind you, they used to be held in the concert hall many moons ago, these days the capacity isn't needed.

i thought there might be something like that alright cheers

Ah hustings where candidates can give a speech to the only people that have been listening to them thus far. Though hopefully with more candidates there will be a bigger crowd that will not just be those involved with campaigns attending. Will there be a change in format if it looks like there is 3+ for each position?
    I mean listening to one after the other will take hours and I don't think that one position should get preference for time over another one so maybe a two day hust could be in order.

Also get stickers or badges or something that can be given out at the voting booth so that after I vote in the morning I wont be hassled for the rest of the day by those eager beavers with the lollipops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

sceptre wrote: »
    Mind you, they used to be held in the concert hall many moons ago, these days the capacity isn't needed.

Isn't apathy a terrible thing...or is it ignorance? I think posters that said "Public Debate" or something similar might get people's attention. Hustings is a bit of technical term for most students!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 bambismom

Hi everyone! :)

This is who I've heard is running....

President:
    Louise Clohessy
    Ruan Dillon-McLoughlin
    Daniel Ried
    Paddy Rocket
    Nick Ryan

Welfare:
    Dererk Daly

Tony Sheridan
    Deirdre Wilson

Communications:
    Thomas McCarty

Finn McDuffie
    Eoghan O'Brien

CSO:
    Vivion Grisewood

Martin Lally
    Lorcan O'Neil

Education:
    David James Collison Ryan

Aoife Finnerty
    David McMahon (I think it’s McMahon but could be wrong)

That’s all I’ve heard so far…..

Oh and also, apologies if I have misspelled anyone's names.

• Advertisement

entropic wrote: »
    Also get stickers or badges or something that can be given out at the voting booth so that after I vote in the morning I wont be hassled for the rest of the day by those eager beavers with the lollipops.

I am also in favour of this- perhaps something along the lines of "I've voted, have you?" Might generate some debate/awareness about the elections

I must say I am looking forward to the communications race the most if those three are indeed the candidates, Finn is in the mold of the last few editors very old media journalism. I enjoy reading the sports section every fortnight and have done since Thomas has been involved. Eoghan I hope would bring in many of the ideas Dave had last year who I would have preferred to see win (not saying Aoife is has done a bad job just my personal preference).

wow the recession is really bringing people out of the wood work should be a good race

will be interesting to see ruan justify his existence i havnt been around so iv no idea what hes been up to

looks like a proper race this year woop woop

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭lorcanthrope

Well, since it's been mentioned, I may as well confirm it: I, Lorcan O'Neill, will be running for CSO this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 AlistairOvereem

isnt nick ryan going for president aswel? a real heavyweight battle shaping up between those vying for top spot at the head of the table. we can only specualte as to who wil reside in the kings quarters next year. i wonder when the first battle shots will be fired? i'm keeping my fingers crossed that paddy rockstar wins the crown!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭VivGrise

Hi everyone,

My name is Vivion Grisewood, and I'm running for Campaigns and Services!:D

:pac:

Best of Luck to both of ye lads, anymore people gona declare candidacy boards?

Any chance of a forum or online Q&A session for these elections since it seems that the hustings are going be packed this year, last year was bad enough being stuck out in the freeing cold listening to the candidates for nearly two hours.

This year I fear that there just isn't going to be a big crowd by the end if we have 15+ candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

bambismom wrote: »
    Education:
    David James Collison Ryan

Wow... my name has just stuck after last years campaign.

Dave Ryan is fine!! Tying to save the environment (one name at a time :D) by saving paper on the length of my name (+ink) + Carbon emmissions will be halved by those saying my name :D:D

entropic wrote: »
    Best of Luck to both of ye lads, anymore people gona declare candidacy boards?

Any chance of a forum or online Q&A session for these elections since it seems that the hustings are going be packed this year, last year was bad enough being stuck out in the freeing cold listening to the candidates for nearly two hours.

This year I fear that there just isn't going to be a big crowd by the end if we have 15+ candidates.

hence why there should be proper debates

• Advertisement

PeakOutput wrote: »
    hence why there should be proper debates

What type?

I don't think that the current format is too bad, or would you prefer a full candidate versus candidate? Maybe an american style questions submitted beforehand but that doesn't give the opportunity to raise anything that comes up during the hust.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement