Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SU elections 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

entropic wrote: »
    What type?

I don't think that the current format is too bad, or would you prefer a full candidate versus candidate? Maybe an american style questions submitted beforehand but that doesn't give the opportunity to raise anything that comes up during the hust.

i think something along the lines of (for example if there is 4 candidates for president) all four up on a stage for 60mins with certain set questions but also so they are able to address questions to eachother kinda like the initial presidential debates in america when there is still more than 2 candidates in the running

also not in the stables

then the other positions get 30/40mins i have proposals that i am going to make to the su regarding these debates it is probably too late for this year though but i hope to have something for them in two weeks and if not for this year for the next

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Rockett_4_Prez

PeakOutput wrote: »
    i think something along the lines of (for example if there is 4 candidates for president) all four up on a stage for 60mins with certain set questions but also so they are able to address questions to eachother kinda like the initial presidential debates in america when there is still more than 2 candidates in the running

also not in the stables

then the other positions get 30/40mins i have proposals that i am going to make to the su regarding these debates it is probably too late for this year though but i hope to have something for them in two weeks and if not for this year for the next

I'd like this,the hustings last year took far too long and with the presidential one held at the end this format would suit considering half the college is running for it! - where would you suggest apart from the stables might i ask, where do you think would be suitable?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

UCC split their hustings over 2 days but they have 10 positions up for grabs as they are electing part time officers as well

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

bambismom wrote: »
    Hi everyone! :)

This is who I've heard is running....

Welfare:
    Dererk Daly
    Tony Sheridan
    Deirdre Wilson
    While I have no doubt that either of the other candidates would give a lot of committment, I don't think Tony would sacrifice PhD funding for a year in the Union, and although it would be interesting to see, I don't think anyone has ever run a campaign from TP before.

I've heard a number of names for various positions, but considering the roll-call for Welfare last year and then no declarations I'll reserve judgment until nominations close.

I'd like this,the hustings last year took far too long and with the presidential one held at the end this format would suit considering half the college is running for it! - where would you suggest apart from the stables might i ask, where do you think would be suitable?:D

cant remember then name of the big hall in the main building but there or csg01 is a great hall and smaller so you dont need a huge amount of people to show up

the big lecture hall in kemmy is another choice if larger numbers are expected but i reckon csg01 would be the right size

any more ideas i have im keeping for myself until i speak with th student unions im afraid i dont want any candidates being able to say ' i was the one who championed this' and then the others complaining cause that gives the other an advantage ithink if its going to be changed it has to be changed completely independantly of the candidates this year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Rockett_4_Prez

PeakOutput wrote: »
    cant remember then name of the big hall in the main building but there or csg01 is a great hall and smaller so you dont need a huge amount of people to show up

the big lecture hall in kemmy is another choice if larger numbers are expected but i reckon csg01 would be the right size

any more ideas i have im keeping for myself until i speak with th student unions im afraid i dont want any candidates being able to say ' i was the one who championed this' and then the others complaining cause that gives the other an advantage ithink if its going to be changed it has to be changed completely independantly of the candidates this year

But of course - i would'nt jump on that just to see what the idea was considering last years one was so late due to 'set up' apparently - the jean monet - or the one that they hold class reps in - i can see the draw of them but does the public setting of the stables or the courtyard even give passers by the opportunity to see and hear the candidates rather than a room being dominated by the person with the biggest campaign team?

what do ya think?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Fennessy2

Communications:

[*]Thomas McCarty
    [*]Daniel Reid
    [*]Finn McDuffie
    [*]Eoghan O'Brien

Education:

[*]David McMahon
    [*]Tomas Leamy
    [*]David James Collison Ryan
    [*]Louis Donovan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Hi guys,

I'm just out of a meeting of the Electoral and Referenda Board and I just wanted to clarify some things:
    bazkennedy wrote: »
    Hustings are on Wednesday week 7

Hustings will be Wednesday evening at 6pm in the Jean Monnet.
    Also get stickers or badges or something that can be given out at the voting booth so that after I vote in the morning I wont be hassled for the rest of the day by those eager beavers with the lollipops.

Anyone who votes will get a stamp on their hand that says "I've voted" or something like that. Stickers can fall off or get lost and the ERB has also decided that stickers will not be permitted in this year's campaign so it would be slightly hypocritical to have stickers then!
    Any chance of a forum or online Q&A session for these elections since it seems that the hustings are going be packed this year, last year was bad enough being stuck out in the freeing cold listening to the candidates for nearly two hours.

I asked about having something on ulsu.ie but as the Union has to remain impartial so it isn't feasible for us to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭lorcanthrope

ergonomics wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm just out of a meeting of the Electoral and Referenda Board and I just wanted to clarify some things:

Hustings will be Wednesday evening at 6pm in the Jean Monnet.

Anyone who votes will get a stamp on their hand that says "I've voted" or something like that. Stickers can fall off or get lost and the ERB has also decided that stickers will not be permitted in this year's campaign so it would be slightly hypocritical to have stickers then!

I asked about having something on ulsu.ie but as the Union has to remain impartial so it isn't feasible for us to do this.

What exactly is permitted in campaigning this year? I remember there being hassle in previous years with Buildings and Estates complaining about the use of chalk for one thing. Or will this be announced once nominations are open/closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Full details will be available with the nomination forms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭GraGra90

looks like our education officer is running again

Hey guys,

As was rumoured earlier, I can confirm that Aoife Finnerty will be re-running for Education this year! She only uses her Ms. Education account for answering student questions so said I'd confirm the rumours!

Gráinne

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Welfare:
    Dererk Daly[/SIZE][/FONT]
    Tony Sheridan
    Deirdre Wilson

Tony is not running, confirmed from him a little while ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭entropic

ergonomics wrote: »
    Hi guys,

How exactly does this impact on the partiality of the Union assuming that they let everyone participate and have it mediated by someone impartial such as yourself. This would surely be a case of the union facilitating a bigger debate from the candidates.

How exactly does this impact on the partiality of the Union assuming that they let everyone participate and have it mediated by someone impartial such as yourself. This would surely be a case of the union facilitating a bigger debate from the candidates.

I'm sure there would be issue raised if ergonomics was mediating it so it would have to be someone from outside the Union.

Please note: not my opinion, just the way I can see it being interpreted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'd imagine impartiality is an even more to the fore considering some of the incumbents are running again for office.

Education:
    David James Collison Ryan

Aoife Finnerty
    David McMahon (I think it’s McMahon but could be wrong)

I can confirm that David McMahon is not running for Education...

Click here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MrTS

ninty9er wrote: »
    While I have no doubt that either of the other candidates would give a lot of committment, I don't think Tony would sacrifice PhD funding for a year in the Union.

Unfortunately I (tony) am pursuing my PhD without any funding :( I teach labs and tutorials to earn my keep... so a union position wud not be sacrificing anything :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MrTS

Mossin wrote: »
    Tony is not running, confirmed from him a little while ago.

i didnt deny or confirm anything actually, never say never :eek::p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 DitzyPurple

I for one can not wait for the elections! It is going to be an electric week, and some of the positions are going to be very tough to call, I have my favourites but then, who doesn't!? It definately seems to be heating up this year more than other years..... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 quess who?

yeah I agree with Ditzy Purple exciting few weeks ahead...looking forward to the end of next week when the forms are all in and we actually know the candidates, president is the big one this year, would love to see Ruán get another go at it myself!icon7.gif

• Advertisement

So nominations open today

Anyone else thinking of running. Rumour has it a certain female skydiver is considering running for president

Anyone else thinking of running. Rumour has it a certain female skydiver is considering running for president

interesting i reckon she could do a good job was very dedicated and hard working to the skydive club anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

that would make 6 people going for president and with the calaber of some canadates going for the position it makes it hard to settle on one person, so if said female skydiver goes for the postion it would make it even harder to call .

cso and communacations are the other positions that i think will be intresting this year from what i've heard

I wonder if the SU has printed off enough nomination forms :P

Should be interesting to see who has actually filled out the form by the end of the week. Does anyone know if ulvoteforme will be running this year?

I saw two candidates around the courtyard gathering signatures yesterday. Eoghan O'Brien seemed to have little trouble gathering the required number. Louise Closshey seemed to go down quiet well with a bunch of non-union heads

Louise Closshey seemed to go down quiet well with a bunch of non-union heads
    that maybe so but she,ll have to have a very strong campain team to compeat with the other candadets such as ruan (we all saw what his campain was like last year)

I saw two candidates around the courtyard gathering signatures yesterday. Eoghan O'Brien seemed to have little trouble gathering the required number. Louise Closshey seemed to go down quiet well with a bunch of non-union heads

Zomg non union heads who care about the elections before the sweets are out.

I'm sure Eoghan will get the sigs, I recall just going outside when the sun was out and getting the people sitting outside to sign.I think it took 15 mins.

Zomg non union heads who care about the elections before the sweets are out.

I'm sure Eoghan will get the sigs, I recall just going outside when the sun was out and getting the people sitting outside to sign.I think it took 15 mins.
    i can confrm that eoin has enough siginatures now

ya but there has been a lot of durty campaining this year already

mayo_lad wrote: »
    i can confrm that eoin has enough siginatures now

ya but there has been a lot of durty campaining this year already

Oh do elaborate, impressive considering that the campaigns cannot start until next week.

• Advertisement

the'rs not that much to it realy but one of the presadental canadates have been streching the rules a lot , another one has been baad mouthing other canadates at house partys from what i,ve heard i'm not going to give any more information untill next week tho

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement