Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SU elections 2010

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

Hey Guys

It pains me to say that I will not be running in this years SU elections.

So thats:

DAVID JAMES COLLISON RYAN will not be on the ballot sheet (Not that I was going to run under that name again anyway):D:D:D:D.

I had always planned on running, and I would love to do the job, however, right now my Masters is just taking up too much time (especially as it happens on election week :eek::eek:) and I don't want to risk messing it up.

I would like to wish the other candidates best of luck with their campaigns, I've been in one, ye are in for a great week...... tiring but savage!!!

GOOD LUCK TO ALL

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Well now that I've the form sorted, it's only the waiting to see if anyone else submits one before 6pm Friday.

There's a possibility I'm nuts:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

god how cushy would it be to go uncontested the stuff dreams are made of especially this year id say

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

PeakOutput wrote: »
    god how cushy would it be to go uncontested the stuff dreams are made of especially this year id say

Fact......... but it would be a shame!! I mean, I usually rely on lollipops for sustinance on election week - the more uncontested positions, the smaller number of candidates, the lower number of lollys :(

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

DJCR wrote: »
    Fact......... but it would be a shame!! I mean, I usually rely on lollipops for sustinance on election week - the more uncontested positions, the smaller number of candidates, the lower number of lollys :(
    ya but the number of people running for president will make up for the non runners in other positions

• Advertisement

i really hope they come up with someway to stop me being accosted over and over again on election day after i have voted but other than that bring on the lollies

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

PeakOutput wrote: »
    i really hope they come up with someway to stop me being accosted over and over again on election day after i have voted but other than that bring on the lollies
    They must all work for Barnardos or something. Jaysus they lock on to you and are relentless sometimes :p A lollipop is merely the compensation for the mind grape.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

dont worry ther is going to be a stamp that you get if you vote this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

mayo_lad wrote: »
    the'rs not that much to it realy but one of the presadental canadates have been streching the rules a lot , another one has been baad mouthing other canadates at house partys from what i,ve heard i'm not going to give any more information untill next week tho

Do explain this so called stretching of the rules part. From what i've seen its far more than one candidate 'stretching the rules'.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Oh a list of people are doing it. Internet pages already up including manifestos and posters (don't be surprised when your ideas are ripped off between now and Monday lads), bad mouthing of candidates, blatant lies about the intentions of other candidates, pure negative campaigning etc. More than one candidate has had a campaign facebook page up for over a month. Now, I'm not a big fan of the restrictions on candidates to limit their campaigning to the three or four days as it doesn't give regular people much of a chance to discuss the issues and undervalues candidates with issues rather than gimmicks. However, extending the campaign period would get people spending even sillier money than they're currently doing and would bar candidates from the presidency in particular for not having enough money to run an extended campaign and that's not a bridge I'd like to see us cross further. There's already too much money being bumped into campaigns and I suspect this year will be no different. Obviously some candidates will have large campaign teams - that's democracy in action so that's fine.

I'm not in favour of the now almost compulsory lollipop distribution, though obviously I used then in my successful campaign three years ago. It's like a student election version of the missile gap - because the other side has them, you must also have them. Does it increase democratic participation or awareness? Not a jot. It's a simple attention payment rather than vote bribery but again, it's essentially a barrier to effective candidacy as an added almost-compulsory cost. I'd like to see campaign spending limits in the same way that they have in Trinity for example.That removes the growing participation barrier and forces candidates to be inventive and discuss the issues rather than simple time bribery. The low-level bribery isn't democracy in action.

With regard to candidates acting the plonker already though, my personal favourite whoopsie is the candidate running for the presidential job who got drunk at a party last week and when someone mentioned the UL forum on boards, went off into a drunken rant about how it was an awfully critical place and how he'd been censored (despite the fact that the guy in question has two accounts, not one, and only one of his posts has ever been edited or deleted and that was by the guy in question himself - even asleep I know these things and I only edit for idiocy and abuse). I wasn't there but got a reliable blow by blow from someone who was whose story I would trust. Suffice it to say that I'll be voting for someone else and won't be recommending the candidate in question when people ask me for opinions as they tend to do. Ask me in person and I'll tell you who btu I'm not saying who on the Internet. Nice chap but one idiotic drunken plonker session is enough to switch my vote. That's democracy in action too. All hail democracy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

I'm not in favour of the now almost compulsory lollipop distribution, though obviously I used then in my successful campaign three years ago. It's like a student election version of the missile gap - because the other side has them, you must also have them. Does it increase democratic participation or awareness? Not a jot. It's a simple attention payment rather than vote bribery but again, it's essentially a barrier to effective candidacy as an added almost-compulsory cost. I'd like to see campaign spending limits in the same way that they have in Trinity for example.That removes the growing participation barrier and forces candidates to be inventive and discuss the issues rather than simple time bribery. The low-level bribery isn't democracy in action.

Mea Culpa.....Me and my 5000 lollipops didn't exactly help escalation last year....:( So any word on the welfare race?

PS Bad Mouthing the candidates, well I wouldn't be too hard on many of the candidates this year. They all (nearly all as far as i can see) seem to be pretty proficient at mud slinging!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 quess who?

yeah we all know what some candidates are getting up to but hopefully voters will realise the dirty tricks behind the campaigns. I guess by this time next week we'll know if the antiques paid off or not!! Reframing from campaigning this year...still know who my votes will be going to though!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Ms.Cosmo

Aoife Finnerty runs unopposed for education!!
    But who is officially running for the other positions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ULStory

The candidates have been confirmed as the following:

President:
    Sharon Brosnan
    Louise Clohessy
    Ruan Dillon McLoughlin
    Paddy Rockett
    Nick Ryan

Welfare:
    Derek Daly
    Daniel Reid

Education:
    Aoife Finnerty elected unopposed

Communications:
    Finn McDuffie
    Eoghan O'Brien

Campaigns and Services:
    Vivion Grisewood
    Lorcan O'Neill

For information on who the candidates are, check out http://theulstory.blogspot.com/

good luck to sharon i reckon ruan has it in the bag though and im sure has a great campaign planned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

No offense to Aoife, but I'm disappointed that she got elected unopposed as I'd like to see a debate but congratulations to her all the same. I'm glad that each of the other positions will have competition [of sorts].

Best of luck to all the candidates!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 AlistairOvereem

I heard louise clohessys campaign is all over the place,i'd be surprised if she makes much inroads against the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭entropic

Fantastic, the two years have brought the elections back to UL big time. Great to see so many going for it. Also delighted to hear that Aoife went unopposed, I think you can get a lot more done in 2 years than one with that role.

Best of Luck to every candidate and congrats to Aoife

I heard louise clohessys campaign is all over the place,i'd be surprised if she makes much inroads against the others.

lol justfacebooked her to see if recognised her good to see her political views are close to her heart and easy to understand :p
    Political Views:
    Me and politics do not get on so goodly as in I don't care!

edit; oh and im assuming there is only one louise clohessy in ul and she is on facebook it might not be her of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Mr Lightweight

Hey guys,

Just had a quick read through the thread - I am really looking forward to next week now. I will be campaigning for my good friend Paddy Rockett. I have heard there has been bad mouthing and rumor spreading about certain candidates over the last few weeks, but that's just politics I guess.

Paddy has had running for President at the top of his priorities for a very long time now. He has been active in the Union for many years and he knows what's going on, but more importantly, he knows what needs to be done - He is the man for the job.

Personally I think it's a two horse race between himself and Ruan - not to take anything away from the other candidates - but that's my personal view of things at this time.

We have a big team ready for next week and I hope everyone else involved has a great week too. It's a shame though that some individuals will be going out of their way to bad mouth specific candidates and tearing down posters etc - watch this space.

Once again, hopefully it will be a great week for all :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

It's a shame though that some individuals will be going out of their way to bad mouth specific candidates and tearing down posters etc - watch this space.

Not sure it's a great idea to be making assumptions and pre-accusations. Not throwing your corner in the best light...

It's fun watching the campaigns get up off the ground on facebook and the like. Should be a fun week. I'll be watching the campagins closely just out of interest to see what works, etc. Shoulda been a sociologist perhaps, lol!

Best of luck to everyone, let's hope it doesn't get too messy - in every sense of the word :cool:

Hey guys,

Just had a quick read through the thread - I am really looking forward to next week now. I will be campaigning for my good friend Paddy Rockett. I have heard there has been bad mouthing and rumor spreading about certain candidates over the last few weeks, but that's just politics I guess.

Paddy has had running for President at the top of his priorities for a very long time now. He has been active in the Union for many years and he knows what's going on, but more importantly, he knows what needs to be done - He is the man for the job.

Personally I think it's a two horse race between himself and Ruan - not to take anything away from the other candidates - but that's my personal view of things at this time.

We have a big team ready for next week and I hope everyone else involved has a great week too. It's a shame though that some individuals will be going out of their way to bad mouth specific candidates and tearing down posters etc - watch this space.

Once again, hopefully it will be a great week for all :)

First accusation thrown goes to Team Rocket (Holy crap that is awesome please tell me you have the costumes)

this is going to be great

entropic wrote: »
    (Holy crap that is awesome please tell me you have the costumes)

oh you have no idea ;)

oh you have no idea ;)

Haha brilliant, I wonder if this could live up to the "Kidnappings Have Increased 100% while St.John was SU President" youtube video a few years ago

Not sure it's a great idea to be making assumptions and pre-accusations. Not throwing your corner in the best light...

oh dear. I'm not making any 'assumptions' - take what you want from that. Also I wasn't making reference to team rocket in my first post ...you do realize that campaign posters of every candidate will be ripped down at some point during the week..

Believe me, there are people out there who don't give a damn about who wins, they just don't want a specific person to win. And I am pretty sure that there are people like this for every candidate.

I'm not saying anything can or should be done about this behavior - I just think its ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Ms. Education

Mossin wrote: »
    No offense to Aoife, but I'm disappointed that she got elected unopposed as I'd like to see a debate but congratulations to her all the same. I'm glad that each of the other positions will have competition [of sorts].

No offence taken Mossin. Debating issues doesn't have to take place between candidates solely. I'm happy to answer questions from and debate issues with anyone in a public forum. I'm not sure what the position regarding the hustings is for an unopposed officer, but I'm happy to request a timeslot, so that people who have something to say, like you (I'm presuming), can do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

No offence taken Mossin. Debating issues doesn't have to take place between candidates solely. I'm happy to answer questions from and debate issues with anyone in a public forum. I'm not sure what the position regarding the hustings is for an unopposed officer, but I'm happy to request a timeslot, so that people who have something to say, like you (I'm presuming), can do so.

Afaik, you must still give a speech at hustings.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭daithi_lacha

It's fun watching the campaigns get up off the ground on facebook and the like.

You'd need a Rockett ship of sorts to really get the campaigns off the ground :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

As the nomination period has been concluded and candidates decided, I've conveniently listed the final field in the opening post of this thread and with that open and candidates listed as an opener, this is locked. Feel free to start or continue any discussion of the candidates or elections there.

Thst's here for anyone who missed the link above:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement