Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance Cover for houses older than 1900

• 17-02-2010 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I'm looking to get insurance for my home built in 1840. I'm mainly interested in buildings cover - with minimal contents.
    All the online companies won't quote for anything pre 1900. The only quote I got was from FBD and it came to about 2x or 3x what I think is reasonable. I tried a broker and he came back with just one quote an I suspect he was getting it from FBD.

Does anyone know which companies in Ireland will quote for this.

I'm in a Dublin suburb surrounded by houses of the same period and I can't believe everyone is paying over the odds with this one company.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Titan Warrior

You haven't said what is reasonable - What is the building sum insured and what was the premium - Hard to ttell you if you're getting value without those details .. Is there a preservation order - Smoke detection system monitored ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Domahony wrote: »
    I'm in a Dublin suburb surrounded by houses of the same period and I can't believe everyone is paying over the odds with this one company.

Who are these neighbours insured with ?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

I had terrible trouble getting house insurance recently. Old house/extension with flat roof etc. I eventually got cover with Royal and Sun Alliance through a broker. :)

BTW this policy of not even considering houses over 100 years old is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Domahony

The (what I thought was a) large quote was for around 1K with a re-building cost of 1 million and the minimum contents cover (around 30K). We have good alarms, security, occupied during the day etc.

Most of the online quotes for something similar, but built before 1900, were around 300 euro and I think I had a similar deal from Hibernian around 10 years ago.

The houses are listed, but it is a Victorian neighbourhood and there must be
    a few hundred houses listed in the vicinity.

Must ask the neighbours what they are doing - but though the net denizens might have some wisdom

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Hibernian won't cover houses older than 100 years. I have my car insurance with them but they wouldn't touch the house. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Meerz

I realise this thread is old.

I've gone sale agreed on a home thats pre 1900 and when I meet with the bank this week to process my mortgage they will want to to have decisions made on home insurance.

The 'cheapy' brands don't cover pre 1900 - can anyone help me and advise me who does? And who does for good value (a PM is fine).

I don't know the neighbours yet to ask them as I've literally just gone sale agreed. The house is in Drumcondra and all the neighbours houses would be as old as this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Domahony

FBD were the only company I found who would look at pre-1900 houses

Thanks Domahony. I'll give them a call. Hope they don't have the monopoly on pre 1900!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Allianz will also do them. but not online.

Thanks peteb2. Thats great. I've always rented so this is all new to me and it's nice to know there's options. I love the look of the old houses but don't want to get suckered with large bills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Lillydub

Hi,

I also realise this post is old but am also in the process of buying a house in Drumcondra built around 1900 (or a little before that).

We haven't gotten the surveyors report yet but I have been told by the owner of the house that plumbing, electrics and roof were done within the last 25-30 years.

We will probably re-do electrics and plumbing ourselves anyway, but would an insurance company require proof that they were done within the last 30 years to proceed with the policy? Or is it the usual case that you tick the box and declare it, but if you're lying you understandably void the policy?

Help much appreciated!!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Michealloch

I got a good quote on my house, built 1840, from Allianz.

Other people who will quote on an older house are Wexford Insurance Brokers, wexfordinsurance.com
    Also Alan B. Kidd who tends to be good on the weird and wonderful, he insured a dinghy for me in the past, and a mobile home too.

I tried An Post insurance and the point at which they dropped me was when they asked if I had any decorative plasterwork on the ceilings. That seems to be an issue for them.

AA insurance led me a merry dance, saying they would quote an older house if I gave them a call, and then, after playing 120 questions they bugged out and said they would not quote an older home pre 1850s

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

What's the problem with older house, I live in one and its far more solid, warmer, safer than many recent builds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Thread is two years old fellas. I think they are sorted

Advertisement