Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1995 Renault 5 Campus

• 17-02-2010 12:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

My grandmother has a 1995 Renault 5 campus which she bought new in 1995. In the last few months she has given up driving due to poor eyesight and wants to sell the car. It has only done town driving since she bought it and has 18,000 miles on the clock.

The body needs a bit of work but apart from that it drives perfectly and would be a great car for someone starting off.

My question is, how much is it worth?

Cheers,

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

Might this be a better question for the Classic section?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Does a classic car not mean something over 25 years old?

I reckon she would be doing well to get €400 for it to be honest. Throw it up on donedeal.ie or adverts.ie (donedeal is better imo) with a few pics and ask for €850. If it goes it goes, if it doesn't drop the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Nowt I'd say :(. Get her to scrap it against a new car and sell it to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Hi all,

Cheers,

Dave

It a prime car for scrappage, anyone in your family need a new car? Get your grandmother to avail of the scheme and she can then pass it on to them.

^ PM beat me to it!

• Advertisement

Thank you all for your replies.

That's a good idea about getting her to scrap it and get a new car and selling it on. Sadly, I'm not in the market for a new car although my aunt is. Problem is, she has a car that she will have to trade in and I don't think it would be worth her while putting it on donedeal or anything like that since it's a 2006 Renault Megane. I don't think it would be an easy car to sell.

I'm not really well up on the scrappage scheme and I know this might be a stupid question but would it be possible to scrap my gran's car and have my aunt trade in her own car against 1 new one? Now that I've typed that it sounds even more stupid haha

It's a pity to have to sell it so cheap or scrap it since the engine has such low milage on it but what can you do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Thank you all for your replies.

That's a good idea about getting her to scrap it and get a new car and selling it on. Sadly, I'm not in the market for a new car although my aunt is. Problem is, she has a car that she will have to trade in and I don't think it would be worth her while putting it on donedeal or anything like that since it's a 2006 Renault Megane. I don't think it would be an easy car to sell.

I'm not really well up on the scrappage scheme and I know this might be a stupid question but would it be possible to scrap my gran's car and have my aunt trade in her own car against 1 new one? Now that I've typed that it sounds even more stupid haha

It's a pity to have to sell it so cheap or scrap it since the engine has such low milage on it but what can you do!

If you got a friendly dealer I'd imagine they will take the 2006 as a 'second' trade, although they will give you a crap price for it.

TBH if I was buying, I'd be wary of such a low mileage car - driving so little (hardly 1k miles a year) can't be good for an engine...

Jaysus Padraig you're a hard customer haha too high milage - no one wants it - too little milage - no one wants it :D

I know what you mean though, but the engine is very good in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Stick it in a barn for a doe-eyed enthusiast to stumble across in about 20 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

OP is clearly a troll. If we've been thought nothing by the users of the motors forum is that no Renault is capable of living past its 8th birthday.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Stekelly wrote: »
    OP is clearly a troll. If we've been thought nothing by the users of the motors forum is that no Renault is capable of living past its 8th birthday.:)

Even Renaults can do 18,000 miles, or are the newer ones that bad these days;):p?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's the sort of thing that could be worth a bit if you got the right customer. I'd stick it on carandclassic.co.uk and mention it on the classic cars section here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Lovely little cars - old skool reliability / maintainability. Spent 3 weeks touring France in a 10 year old one on a camping holdiday with 4 adults, tents and all our stuff. How the hell did that all fit? :D

If the body was in perfect condition, the "stick it in a shed" approach is not a bad idea - one day the R5 will be a classic. But the car is not showroom, so what it's worth depends largely on its NCT. Does it have a long NCT, then it's worth 500 no problem. If it has no NCT, you'll have to take what you can...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It's the sort of thing that could be worth a bit if you got the right customer. I'd stick it on carandclassic.co.uk and mention it on the classic cars section here.

Seriously OP, this is worth a shot, there are Renault forums as well, I'm sure they have a section for advertising cars for sale, if the bodywork is good and it's got history then it could be worth a few hundred, maybe even a bit more if you find the "right" buyer.

I don't care what anyone says, scrapping a car with only 18,000 miles no matter what make it is is completely insane and a total waste.

I've started a new thread in the classic cars forum pointing to here. You never know, someone might be interested. It would be a waste to see this little car scrapped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

unkel wrote: »
    I've started a new thread in the classic cars forum pointing to here. You never know, someone might be interested.

Junkyard will not be pleased :)

Very constructive.....clown.

Thanks for that unkle :) With that said, my gran is obviously going to go the route when she gets the best value. From what I see on this thread, it means scrappage, and yes, it would be a pity to see it happen but not from her point of view.

Very constructive.....clown.

He's only joking. He loves his Renaults ;)

That's Stekelly for you, any chance to slag off Renaults

Is it a 3 or a 5 door ? What colour is it and whereabouts in the country is it ?

• Advertisement

With that said, my gran is obviously going to go the route when she gets the best value. From what I see on this thread, it means scrappage, and yes, it would be a pity to see it happen but not from her point of view.

It's only value scrapping it if she is buying a new car :)
    You won't get much if anything if you actually scrap it in a scrap yard / breakers.

It's silver, 3 door and located in Tipperary.

I've an idea she'll scrap it against a new car my aunt wants and then sell it to her.

Think that's a non runner to be honest.

Not so. you could buy the new car in your grans name, trade the R5 in, and arrange a seperate buy-in of your aunt's used car. afterwards transfer ownership of the new car into your aunt's name.

Not so. you could buy the new car in your grans name, trade the R5 in, and arrange a seperate buy-in of your aunt's used car. afterwards transfer ownership of the new car into your aunt's name.

But scrapping the 5, availing of the scrappage offer and trading in the other car against one new car is most definitely a non runner. A seperate buy in is a different kettle of fish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

TBH if I was buying, I'd be wary of such a low mileage car - driving so little (hardly 1k miles a year) can't be good for an engine...

I bought a car that had done about 2000 miles a year during it's 27year ownership (from new) by a little old lady. I had to rebuild the engine as because of the short journeys, the engine never heated up properly, and the result was bore wear. The problem became more evident when the car was pressed into daily service by my brother. We bought the car bugeting for an engine rebuild.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

I wouldn't scrap that car to be honest. Future classics are becoming thin on the ground as it is from these scrappage schemes. With that low mileage as well it is definitely worthy of preservation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

ianobrien wrote: »
    I bought a car that had done about 2000 miles a year during it's 27year ownership (from new) by a little old lady. I had to rebuild the engine as because of the short journeys, the engine never heated up properly, and the result was bore wear. The problem became more evident when the car was pressed into daily service by my brother. We bought the car bugeting for an engine rebuild.
    Yep,this is the major problem with these kinds of cars.
    Low miles over many years is often not a good thing,i got a 1993 fiesta awhile back for free,absolute minter of a car,but the engine was so fcuked you wouldnt believe from short journeys,it hardly made it to my house!
    Under the rocker cover was completely full of white gunge!

I gave it away to another guy who wanted to stick a new engine into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

Or more than likely someone left it in for repairs and just decided to leave it there with all it's problems, it's biggest one it being a Renault.

• Advertisement

Or more than likely someone left it in for repairs and just decided to leave it there with all it's problems, it's biggest one it being a Renault.

I think a 3 door silver 5 has potential as a fairly cool run about to be honest.

RoverJames wrote: »
    But scrapping the 5, availing of the scrappage offer and trading in the other car against one new car is most definitely a non runner. A seperate buy in is a different kettle of fish.

How is it a non runner?

They have different owners for a start, try and do it if you think it's an option. Scrap a banger under the scheme and try and trade in another car not in your name too, I don't think it could even happen if they were both in your name.

the garage can do a buy in and write a cheque to the owner - that's presuming they want trade ins of course. car would be at trade price.

Registering the new car in the grandmothers name shouldn't be a problem at all.

the garage can do a buy in and write a cheque to the owner - that's presuming they want trade ins of course. car would be at trade price.

Registering the new car in the grandmothers name shouldn't be a problem at all.

We all know the garage can do a buy in, but seems as quite a bit of the discount on the new car is based on a straight sale basis and scrappage it's hardly a good way of trading in a car. Also the buy in will be independent of the scrappage scheme. So as I said before you cannot avail of the scrappage scheme and trade in a 2nd car against the same new car.

the same way you can't trade 2 cars in and expect the retail value for both cars. there's only so much discount there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭amg-slurp

Il have it!!
    PM me

RoverJames wrote: »
    We all know the garage can do a buy in, but seems as quite a bit of the discount on the new car is based on a straight sale basis and scrappage it's hardly a good way of trading in a car. Also the buy in will be independent of the scrappage scheme. So as I said before you cannot avail of the scrappage scheme and trade in a 2nd car against the same new car.

It's semantics really. Of course a deal like Colm suggested would work. But it would be car scrapped and new car in granny's name and the third car would be bought by the garage in a transaction officially unrelated to the scrappage deal. The garage would only pay trade peanuts for it though and I wouldn't really recommend this to the OP

Thanks to everyone for their input. We're going to go ahead with the idea of using this car for scrappage and my aunt is selling her own car privately.

Thanks again!

Dave

I'd see how selling the Megane goes before getting the new car. They can be very very hard to sell on as folk simply don't want them.

It would be a great car for a beginner. It's in good condition. I know this because I valet it once a week :)

It will also be getting a full service before it's sold and everything will be checked on it. Not necessary, I know but my aunt is like that!

• Advertisement

Beginners typically don't go looking for 2006 Meganes :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Thanks to everyone for their input. We're going to go ahead with the idea of using this car for scrappage and my aunt is selling her own car privately.

Thanks again!

Dave

I presume you mean the R5 ?

If so, and I know it may seem to make sense on paper, to get 1500 notional scrap value for it, but scrapping a perfectly good car, nay, exceptional one with 18k miles on it, is simply, a travesty.

Anyone who can say destroying a perfectly usable product, to buy another shinier one, under the guise of 'Green' or CO2 or any of that (fictional) waffle, is misguided.

It's sad, that's all, that someone else won't get to......'recycle it'...and use it for a few years yet. When it does give up the ghost, fair enough, but until then..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Considering the garage will only get small money from the government for scrapping the 5 I would suggest asking them what is the best straight sale cash price on the new car, still sell (try to anyway) the 06 Megane and think about letting the 5 go for a few hundred quid to someone who wants her. As I have said a silver 3 door 5 has potential as a very cool runabout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

galwaytt wrote: »
    I presume you mean the R5 ?

If so, and I know it may seem to make sense on paper, to get 1500 notional scrap value for it, but scrapping a perfectly good car, nay, exceptional one with 18k miles on it, is simply, a travesty.

Anyone who can say destroying a perfectly usable product, to buy another shinier one, under the guise of 'Green' or CO2 or any of that (fictional) waffle, is misguided.

It's sad, that's all, that someone else won't get to......'recycle it'...and use it for a few years yet. When it does give up the ghost, fair enough, but until then..........

+1

Don't do it:eek:

At the end of the day, it's not my decision on what happens to this car.

James, how do you know that she'll get very little for scrappage?

Right lads, the R5 isn't being used for scrappage and is for sale. Car will go to highest offer :)

any chance of some pics, what is wrong with the body work ? Rust ?

I will bring the car home and take pics of it and any rust spots on it tomorrow.

James, on the main bodywork, the problem isn't rust, just tired paint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭2cv

Right lads, the R5 isn't being used for scrappage and is for sale. Car will go to highest offer :)

Oh an auction... exciting :D

lol

Should I get this thread closed and create an ad on adverts.ie?

• Advertisement
Advertisement