Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Film types? (yes... those old rolls you used to put in your camera)

• 17-02-2010 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Does anyone here have recommendations for film types?
    Fuji?
    Superia?
    Press?
    50-1600 iso?

Mainly for carrying around candid stuff... prob indoors as well.
    All opinions appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I mostly use Ilford for B&W, I have a lots of Free film with I think is Fuji. But I generally like kodak. as for ISO anywhere in the 50-3200 range I like depends on the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If you'll be doing indoors candids without a flash definitely go for an ISO of at least 400...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

Sleepy wrote: »
    If you'll be doing indoors candids without a flash definitely go for an ISO of at least 400...

In colour I'd use Fuji pro800z and occasionally push it to 1600.

For black and white Fuji Neopan 1600

I do like Ilford b&w as well but have only used xp2 ISO 400.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭YIA

Great stuff!
    Thanks guys.
    Where do you find is best to buy/ develop negatives?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I develop all my own B&W, I usually bring the colour stuff into the local Sam MaCauley as I know they change they're chemicals regularly. I would like to try developing my own colour soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Color:

Kodak Portra 160/400 VC/NC (i used this 90% of the time)
    Fuji pro stuff is nice as well

B&W:

Ilford FP5/HP5
    Fuji Neopan for B&W
    &
    Kodak Tmax?? I think thats what its called..

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Try slide/transparency, nice colours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Very few places developing though..

@op - deffo go for 400+ iso. You might well need higher. Ilford HP5 I likey for B&W. Portra's lovely for colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Yeah Kodak E100VS, Fuji Velvia & Proiva 100F

Costs a crap load to get developed.. I got 2 rolls of 120 & 1 x 35 roll developed in Dublin.. 26 euro :eek:

I cant think of the name but its on abbey street in Dublin..

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Is it PhotoCare on Abbey Street?
    I went there to get some Velvia 50 processed.
    Is there a film negative equivalent (closest thing) to Velvia?
    I really like the look... but the digital scans I got from PhotoCare weren't great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

YIA wrote: »
    Is it PhotoCare on Abbey Street?
    I went there to get some Velvia 50 processed.
    Is there a film negative equivalent (closest thing) to Velvia?
    I really like the look... but the digital scans I got from PhotoCare weren't great.

Closest C-41 equivalent I've found is probably Ektar, do a tag search on my stream for examples. It's quite contrasty and the saturation, particularly in the reds, is bumped a bit. That said, anywhere you get any film developed nowadays will scan them, I don't think any minilabs actually do anything other than digitally projected prints nowadays.

Cheers.
    The problem was that the scans weren't very "hi-ress" as quoted.
    Only about 500k per photo... and not of good enough quality for say an 8*12 print.
    Any suggestions?
    I'll look into the Ektar, thanks.

YIA wrote: »
    Cheers.
    The problem was that the scans weren't very "hi-ress" as quoted.
    Only about 500k per photo... and not of good enough quality for say an 8*12 print.
    Any suggestions?
    I'll look into the Ektar, thanks.

AFAIK those minilabs are capable of much higher resolution scans, so I guess you could ask. I develop and scan myself so I'm not really up on that stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Just heard Fuji have stopped making black and white 120.

Effects wrote: »

They plan to stop producing 'presto 400' in Japan, it's the local version of Neopan 400. Apparently that's it. Everything else is just some rumour that was kicked off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

AFAIK those minilabs are capable of much higher resolution scans, so I guess you could ask.
    This is the truth, I work in a Fujilab and while we cannot specify a scan resolution there are a few scan options. Our machine defaults to the third highest and produces 1200x1600 frames if I'm not mistaken. We can go higher, but scan time increases almost exponentially and if a customer requests this I'll tell them it'll take an extra day. We're talking maybe 20 mins to scan the images and up to 30 mins to burn the disc(s).

Bear in mind that this only reltaes to scanning to digital files for burning, as far as i know there is no way to set the machine to scan the negs at a higher res while printing.

Bear in mind that this only reltaes to scanning to digital files for burning, as far as i know there is no way to set the machine to scan the negs at a higher res while printing.

I vaguely remember someone saying at some point that the scan res is dependent on whatever the print size is , so if you're printing 10x8s or something then the frontier will scan at an appropriately higher resolution ? Or something :)

That makes sense, the machine probably scales the resolution according to print output. I hadn't thought of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

Cpt Flaps do you know if those fugi machines can print off a contact sheet when they're scanning negatives?

Short answer? No.

When printing negs, the Frontier scans them to a temporary file and digitally projects and exposes the paper. When it's finished printing the roll, it prints a 6x4 index card which is basically a tiny contact sheet. It'll do the same thing when burning the negs to a disc, part of that job is the automatic creation of an index card.

However, when I think of a contact sheet, I think of a proper darkroom film contact or a Lightroom contact sheet of 1" thumbnails. The index cards you get from a Frontier are really only so people will know what number each frame is if they're getting reprints, they're way too small to be any use for comparing similar frames, so I guess the answer to your question lies in what use you aim to put your contacts to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

ah just looking for something to stick in with the CD of scanned pics to see what's on the disk really. Sounds like that'd do the trick

In that case, yeah, they're perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭katiemaloe

I think Kodak Portra 400VC is a gorgeous colour film. Fuji neopan is fantastic for black and whites. Though I have been using lots of the free fuji film thats floating around. I work in a fuji photo lab too, and you can print regular print film with really punchy colours so it looks similiar to the vividness you'd get from slide fim. I do that quite a lot. Fuji Reala is a nice smooth good quality film but probably not great for indoor shots as its only ISO100
    I agree with Captain about the massive amount of time it takes to do really high res scans- quite frustrating! its worth doing for special photos that you want to print up large though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Forgive me if this is a stupid question but google only returned articles on creating HDR's with photoshop etc.

What films (color & B&W) have the highest dynamic range?

Or am I completely wrong in thinking that different films would have different ranges?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

Forgive me if this is a stupid question but google only returned articles on creating HDR's with photoshop etc.

Or am I completely wrong in thinking that different films would have different ranges?

Not at all.

Slow-medium speed (ISO 50 - 400) B&W negative film typically offers the largest dynamic range followed by colour negative and C41 B&W film, although the dynamic range of both decreases as the ISO increases. Slide film has a very small dynamic range and needs to be exposed very carefully.

typically it goes B&W -> colour negative -> transparency.
    Mid speed B&W and colour negs have better DR than low or high speed films. With B&W it also depends to a large extent what you use to develop them. With a compensating developer like Diafine and an appropriate film (Tri-x for example) you'll get enormous range.

Typically digital used to be described as being very like slide film in terms of DR, but its definitely becoming more like colour negative. Film still handles the extremes better than digital, better seperation in the shadows, and no ugly blown highlights (well you CAN blow your highlights, but film degrades far more nicely than digital in this case)

It also depends a lot on the individual film. Kodaks Ektar for example is more like slide film than negative film in its response. Very contrasty with deep blacks and saturated colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

Typically digital used to be described as being very like slide film in terms of DR, but its definitely becoming more like colour negative. Film still handles the extremes better than digital, better seperation in the shadows, and no ugly blown highlights (well you CAN blow your highlights, but film degrades far more nicely than digital in this case)

This is a very good point. It's important to understand that the increased dynamic range of negative film or of digital RAW files wont necessarily prevent you from blowing highlights but the shoulder or rolloff offered by the increased dynamic range can make the blown highlights look far more organic as opposed to the nasty posterized or abrupt transitions endemic to very many poorly exposed JPEGs.

Effects wrote: »

Apropos of nothing, here's the full Fuji announcement ...
    FUJIFILM wrote:
    * Neopan Presto 400 120 size is discontinued with immediate effect (does not affect availability in 135 format
    * 12 and 24 exposure rolls for 35mm film will be gradually phased out
    * Acros 100 in 11×14 size (special order) discontinued
    * Provia 100 F 11×14 (special order) discontinued
    * Pro 160 NC 120 discontinued
    * T64 reversal 4×5 sheet film, T64 reversal 4×5 Quickload and T64 reversal 8×10 sheet film discontinued

There will be some gradual changes in the packaged quantities of some films, for example single packs will become 3 packs or 5 packs; in the case of 120 format the 20-packs will be withdrawn and only 5-packs remain. We will reflect these changes in our web shop over time as appropriate and where applicable.

Advertisement